Harry Potter book 7

Recommend books, comics, graphic novels, etc.
t0nichi

Harry Potter book 7

Post by t0nichi » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:41 pm

Who else is excited to read the final book? I've heard that someone close to Harry will die and there's something about Aunt Petunia that will be revealed...
.:T:.

thirdeyeh

Post by thirdeyeh » Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:01 am

I'm excited about it. I'm just choosing to think about it later though. I'll get too excited. Going to see the new movie today though.

thirdeyeh

Post by thirdeyeh » Sun Jul 22, 2007 3:47 pm

This book is rockin.

Threshold

Post by Threshold » Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:30 pm

To the Abyss with Harry Potter. I work in a bookstore. I didn't get home until after 2:00 AM.
I did get an "Official Muggle Crew" Tshirt and a Slytherin house badge out of the deal, though the best part was where I was heading up our HP trivia contest.. and I've never read a single page of it. :lol:

Seriously though, people did too much for that book.

Muffin

Post by Muffin » Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:11 am

loooved it but tooo short. :/

finished reading it this morning, tried to stretch it for as long as I could. :P

Scott Hallett

Post by Scott Hallett » Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:19 am

Are these books actually worth the hype? I've never read one as I've seen her writing (especially on the first few books) panned as being poor.

I know people are fanatical about them, but do they really deserve the hype? Not trying to make anyone angry, genuinely curious.

Muffin

Post by Muffin » Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:18 pm

I wanna reply to that. (:

I dont think being obsessed with something is very healthy and I dont support the craziness around it - however.. I do love reading the books. I started reading the first book back in 1998 when my dad bought in on an online book store as it was not yet in Norway. My little sister read it and came to me telling me to read it, she also asked my dad to look for more of these. I read it and I was sold. But I have been reading a loooot during my childhood so this was not new to me. As the next book was just around the corner when we found the first one my dad bought that one aswell and so it kept on. I still remember that day we found a small article at the bottom of a page in the newspaper about Harry Potter and we were so excited cause we'd read that book and nobody had heard of it yet. :P
Those where the times.

There is just something really, really appealing about the story, the characters and the way she writes it. I have loved every book from beginning to end and I cannot explain why - other than that once I finished reading the books I cannot remember turning the pages once, - it is all just one big film inside my head. She writes it perfectly for my imagination to make it all up in an imaginary world. It's so real in my head it might just be real memories (uah -freaky). That does not neccesarily mean I BELIEVE that they are real memories, and I do not pretend they are real either.

anyway, I say give them a shot. :) If you like reading you will proably like them. Although.. starting at the age of a grown up might make it harder to swollow. I was only 14/15 when I started and have been reading the books in english continuelig and therefor I still read them at the age of 24 cause I wanted to know the ending (and still love the world she creates). Also - he grows older and the books get better, darker and more complex. So there is a chance you may still like them, I've know lots of growns up to start reading them and loving them. :) Try reading them to some kids you know for example.

If you dont like reading it will probably all just appear as black letters on a whiteish page to you and you will snort of all the people loving it cause you will not understand why. Thats perfectly ok, and nobody should be angry at people for not liking it. thats just how it is - people like different stuff, and some like reading and some not.

If I should give HP one big credit it will be that it gave me the biggest leap into reading and learning english I could've gotten. They where the first books I read in english, and I went from a C to straigh A in english in school. ;P

Also - you should remember these books are basically meant for kids, and therefor her language might not be the most deep and difficult. For me that is fine as I read in a language not of my own, but for you it might seem dull. Even if she lacks the use of big words - I think she makes up for it with her own stuff. She really is pretty good, there's no denying.

Also gotta add that if you've just seen the films and dont like them - dont blame the books. The books are a lot better.

sorry for the long post.. gee, I'm so enthusiastic :P

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:35 pm

I'm reading Book 6 now so I can get to 7, which just arrived in the mail. J.K. Rowling is both a talented writer and phenomenal storyteller. The reason I feel the books are so successful, however, is the lack of good, heartfelt storytelling elsewhere. So many other entertainers are focused on the production of the stories and much less on the actual story content, leaving behind the audience in order to feed their career ambitions or their fear of failure. In a world where parents are spending more time working and less time with their children, and teachers are growing younger and less experienced, books like these are a blessing. J.K. Rowling has kept her head on straight throughout the entire Harry Potter phenomenon and I applaud her for it. It's such a relief to have someone like her around. I can't wait to read Deathly Hallows....

Seth Wolfshorndl

Post by Seth Wolfshorndl » Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:57 am

Just finished it. I'm very, very satisfied with how everything ended up. What a great series, all around. Such a fun ride. Can't wait for my daughter to discover them one day.

I think you're on to something, Kazu. Another thing that helps Rowling is that she never talks down to her audience. And kids and adults love that. It's dang fun characters, tightly written plots with just the right amount of mystery and new discoveries, and a mythology that builds with every book.

I've heard that she has some plans for some new books. Anyone hear more about that?

-Seth
Image Image

Scott Hallett

Post by Scott Hallett » Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:26 am

Well I'll definitely have to check them out and add them to that growing pile of things to read. Like I mentioned, I didn't want to offend, I just hadn't heard of them until around book 2 or 3, and the hype was already in place. I often find it hard to separate the hype from the goods.

Thanks for the lengthy reply muffin ;)

Muffin

Post by Muffin » Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:20 am

my pleasure, Scott. (;
I wish I had all 7 books ahead of me, I envy you. :P

Seth - she appearently said in an interview that she's working on two books; one for kids and one for grown ups. She also added that she will never again write something that will become as populare as Harry Potter, - obviously. But they'll probably still be good. She's also working on a lexicon of some sort about everything in the wizarding world, explaining connections, plants, charms, potions etc. That should be fun. :) I remember getting the two school books she gave out years ago. The fun part was harry's, ron's and hermione's scribbles on the pages. :P

Blom

Post by Blom » Sun Aug 12, 2007 7:25 pm

Scott, I don`t think you would get any kid to read a 700 page book (with flashlight if they had to) if it was a bad book. If you look to good storytelling children demand more of a story than a grown up (the grown ups can read the same story over and over, they call it a crime-novel... most of them are nearly the same story (Crime stories has 12 rules that all "Good" novels follow.... ) over and over and over again.) If a child likes to read the story, then its often a good story. Think then when millions of kids finds the same story so good that they can`t wait to read it. This is also in the digital media-age where you got 3D-games and movies popping up everywhere, they still want to sit down and read that book. :D

I think J.K. Rowling and here Harry Potter series will go into the history along side stories of authors like Roald Dahl, Charles Dickens and great children authors.
Tor Harald Blom

Blom

Post by Blom » Sun Aug 12, 2007 7:38 pm

Muffin wrote: Seth - she appearently said in an interview that she's working on two books; one for kids and one for grown ups. She also added that she will never again write something that will become as populare as Harry Potter, - obviously. But they'll probably still be good. She's also working on a lexicon of some sort about everything in the wizarding world, explaining connections, plants, charms, potions etc. That should be fun. :) I remember getting the two school books she gave out years ago. The fun part was harry's, ron's and hermione's scribbles on the pages. :P
She has said that it will be an appendix to the stories. But I don`t think she will explain where every bit of ideas are collected from. I can see that she has used some of the same sources as Paulo Coelho and his O Alquimista. And I have found on my search for a story I am working on that both HP, Paulo`s books and a lot of books and stories/ songs comes from that same place, the same source. That is fun when you find the link between the them.
Tor Harald Blom

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:12 pm

Finished reading 6 and 7. The story feels so complete that it's hard to know what to say other than that it was marvelous, exhilarating, and brilliant. I LOVED it. The final chapters of the series are like an emotional rocket ship. For those who haven't read the last two books yet, I recommend reading them back to back. Unlike the early entries in the series, you will need a solid understanding of what happens in 6 to get the full effect of the very end. In fact, 5, 6, and 7 are like one really big book. Anyway,I felt Deathly Hallows presented a very fitting end to an incredible story, and man, what a rush.

Along with the rest of the world, I am very much looking forward to the future works of J.K. Rowling. We're very, very lucky to have her around.

Tony

Post by Tony » Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:48 pm

<HEY! SPOILERS!>

Am I the only one who felt like book six was a whole lot of pages of people alternately kissing and sitting around the table saying "Malfoy and/or Snape is up to something bad!" bookended by a couple unique chapters? Admittedly, it was a while ago so it's not fresh in the brain, but book six felt a bit like work for me.

It might have been the Ginny/Harry romance thing. I must have missed a chapter or something, because it seemed to me like that just came from nowhere.

</SPOILERS>

Book seven was a lot of fun, though. I didn't want to finish it...