hk cinema appreciation

Discuss films.
lifelibertyland

hk cinema appreciation

Post by lifelibertyland » Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:57 am

Ok, so for a little while the 'movies you've recently seen' thread turned into a jet li appreciation thread. by request of kazu and since it does deserve it's own thread i present the hk cinema appreciation thread.

I called it hk, because that's where the topic started, but we can make this thread open to all asian cinema.

jdalton

Post by jdalton » Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:46 pm

Okay, so, obviously I'm not the expert here on Hong Kong cinema, though I've seen a few movies now and then over the years. Anyone have some movies they'd like to recommend maybe? (Somebody has to kick off this thread...)
Jonathon Dalton
Image Image

lifelibertyland

Post by lifelibertyland » Sun Jan 07, 2007 5:46 pm

one nite in mongkok is a really great film in my opinion.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=T-sRZRrUN_0

i saw it a long time ago, so it's a few years old now but i've been looking to pick up to see it again.
I was actually wondering is anyone had seen the us release and noticed if there were any changes from the hk version, it's the only one i can get and i don't wanna get it if it's been mutilated.

Mikie

Post by Mikie » Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:09 pm

Breaking News is fantastic. As is Election and Election 2.

Gotta love Johnny To.

lifelibertyland

Post by lifelibertyland » Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:22 pm

doesn't Johnny To do a lot of romance comedies? maybe i'm thinking of someone else

Mikie

Post by Mikie » Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:58 am

lifelibertyland wrote:doesn't Johnny To do a lot of romance comedies? maybe i'm thinking of someone else
I can't think of a one. You must be thinking of someone else.

He did Fulltime Killers, Running On Karma, Election (1 & 2), Throwdown, Breaking News and some others that I'm just not remembering right now.

But he's freaking awesome!!!

lifelibertyland

Post by lifelibertyland » Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:00 am

oh, I've heard of election, but haven't seen it yet. Although I read a review of running on karma and i wanna see it just to see how that fake muscle suit lau wears looks.
Other than that he only johnny to movies I'd seen or heard about was wu yen and needing you, both were romance/comedies. I think i have wu yen in my collection, i dunno if i would have bought it if it wasn't like $3, but it's a good movie.
lots of cross dressing if you're into that. It's funny how sammi cheng gets cursed with a hideous birthmark, but in the movie all see has is a little paint on her face and she looks fine but everyone runs away from her.

gau dog

Post by gau dog » Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:48 pm

Yeah, Johnny To does both crime dramas and romantic comedies. I want to see "Exiled", his latest. It's "prequel" "The Mission" was well done.

Sebastian Agresti

Post by Sebastian Agresti » Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:10 am

Do you guys have 'Asian Screen' on MTV?

We (The Netherlands) have asian movies on tv every friday night.

lifelibertyland

Post by lifelibertyland » Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:03 pm

Hm, I've never seen that on MTV here. I heard they tried doing an MTV Japan, Korea, and China all of which were recently cancelled

Mikie

Post by Mikie » Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:15 pm

Have you guys seen the Host yet? So freaking good. The creature design is fantastic and the story is both funny and touching. You know, when its not being scary and stuff.

It is a really cool movie. Best monster movie I've seen in years, if not ever. Check it out.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/magnolia/thehost/trailer/

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:56 am

I loooove The Host. I saw it last year and I immediately wanted to see it again after the first viewing. A great mix of comedy, drama, horror, and socio-political commentary. It shares a strong tie to the other great monster/socio-political thriller masterpiece- Jaws. It also manages to depict a dysfunctional family much more effectively than Little Miss Sunshine. Simply a great film...

Sebastian Agresti

Post by Sebastian Agresti » Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:23 am

Kazu wrote:I loooove The Host. I saw it last year and I immediately wanted to see it again after the first viewing. A great mix of comedy, drama, horror, and socio-political commentary. It shares a strong tie to the other great monster/socio-political thriller masterpiece- Jaws. It also manages to depict a dysfunctional family much more effectively than Little Miss Sunshine. Simply a great film...
I should check that out

al_johnson

Post by al_johnson » Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:47 pm

The Host is excellent! It really is one of the best action/adventure films I've seen in ages and reminded me of classic Steven Spielberg films. I love that sequence where the daughter is running along the river with the music playing.