Battlestar Galactica, Season 3

Discuss films.
Og

Battlestar Galactica, Season 3

Post by Og » Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:41 pm

I was late to this show.

Everyone kept saying how great it was, but I was skeptical. I was pleasantly surprised that it's good, solid, and character-driven. The mini-series was slow to warm, but the seasons have been getting better and better, and Ron Moore and company have been taking bigger and bigger chances with the material.

I think Season 3 is the best so far.
ImageImage

Stick
Flight Moderator

Post by Stick » Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:52 pm

hehe, i'm on the opposite end of the spectrum, i was really into BSG yet my brother kept refusing to watch it, saying that he had no time. Eventually, i gave up and decided to rent the mini series and the first dvd of the first season.

He reluctantly started to watch them, but after the first part, the floodgates opened. I had to rent more and more dvds for him, and now he runs back home just to watch the new episodes on T.V.

I've created a monster, I have. :)

Og

Post by Og » Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:56 am

I think it's a great study in the creation of strong character-driven narrative in an extraordinary setting. As a bonus, I listen to Ronald D. Moore's director's commentary-as-podcast (available on iTUNES) for added insight into the decisions they make.

It's one of the better Director's Commentaries. It's only 10 or 20 percent self-congratulations, and the rest is good info on their Process, often the writing. I highly recommend the series and the podcast as a learning tool for would-be writers and sequentialists. (Is that even a word?)
ImageImage

Gunwhale

Post by Gunwhale » Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:18 pm

Yes, I love this show. Compelling drama, deep character development, it's great. Aside from agreeing with all the things you guys said, I think it's the most realistic and relative sci-fi shows ever. I hardly even consider it sci-fi anymore.
Image Image

neil

Post by neil » Tue Oct 31, 2006 2:14 am

I don't know a lot about this, but a couple weeks ago, I was on a 4-hour plane ride where they recapped seasons 1 & 2 of Battlestar Galactica, in the format of a documentary narrated by one of the characters (the teacher who becomes president). I thought it was very well put together and was impressed that the writing was good enough that a protracted recap could be interesting and entertaining. Sooo yes, I would like to see more.