Earthmen, our friends (Nos amis, les Terriens)

Discuss films.
Nofret

Earthmen, our friends (Nos amis, les Terriens)

Post by Nofret » Sat Aug 26, 2006 8:13 pm

I just came back from the world premiere of this french film, Earthmen, our friends ( Nos amis, les Terriens).
I want to mention this film, even though at the moment, it has no distributor in North America or in its country of origin! So remember that title, should it come your way.

What would happen if extra terrestrials found our planets, and made a documentary about it's most conspicuous inhabitants; humans.
Not only studying humans "in the wild", but also observing two specimens in captivity. Questions are asked (like, are humans good to eat?), and answered...somewhat.
These aliens, that we never see, look at us with a certain innocence. They are not always right, they do not understand everything that they see. The gulf is large between different species. They make assumptions about our habits, often with humourous or sarcastic results for the audience. The feel is one of watching an animal documentary, one with a narrating voice, analysing what is seen.
Exactly like documentaries made by humans about other animal species.

Filmed with a limited budget, this is the sort of story, when done, makes you look at and think of your fellow humans (and yourself) in a different light. Perhaps also, of our place on this tiny planet. This film is an adaptation of a short story by novelist Bernard Werber, who was also the director of the film.

Let us cross our fingers and hope this film gets widely distributed. I know I'd like to see it again.

jdalton

Post by jdalton » Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:16 pm

Sounds like a good one. It reminds me of a movie I saw a few years ago called Baba Kueria. It is a mock TV news documentary about Australia, only it was the Aboriginees who discovered and colonized a country first inhabited by White people. It starts with an intrepid explorer setting foot in a new continent for the first time. He discovers a group of light-skinned natives charring meat by the side of the ocean and asks, "What do you call this place?" The slightly confused native replies, "It's a barbecue area, isn't it!" And so Baba Kueria earns its name.

It then proceeds with a documentary-syle investigation of why these first inhabitants of Baba Kueria seem to have such trouble fitting in to modern Aboriginal society, why they treat their elders so strangely (locking them away in great buildings filled with lots of other elders), why they are a bit bothered that Baba Kueria's Minister of White People's Affairs has never been a White person, and why they seem to be upset about plans to turn downtown Sydney into something useful, like a grassy wilderness for example.
Jonathon Dalton
Image Image

Nofret

Post by Nofret » Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:48 am

Baba Kueria sounds good! I'll see if it can be found at one of the good video stores here.

Azad

Post by Azad » Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:54 am

that sound great. where did you see it?
Friend to all small creatures everywhere (felines need not apply)

http://www.guerrilla-comics.com
http://www.livejournal.com/users/cubicz

Nofret

Post by Nofret » Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:07 am

Atthe Montreal Film Festival. I'm afraid last night was the last pesentation in Montreal :cry: