Children of Men

Discuss films.
Og

Post by Og » Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:52 pm

Thanks, Rich, I read that when you posted it, and have had some time to think about the film.
My intention was to take [the viewer on] a road trip through the state of things and then once you go through this journey for you to try to come up with your own conclusions about the possibility of hope in a world like this. At the end I cannot dictate a sense of hope for anybody because a sense of hope is something that’s very internal. We wanted the end to be a glimpse of a possibility of hope, for the audience to invest their own sense of hope into that ending. So if you’re a hopeful person you’ll see a lot of hope, and if you’re a bleak person you’ll see a complete hopelessness at the end.
It's an interesting thing he was trying to do, and you're right, the ending he used was perfect for that purpose. I'm just not sure I buy into that purpose. For me - I didn't wind up with hope or despair. I just wound up thinking the director ran out of time or money. It seemed unfinished to me, and I'm sure he didn't intend me to come away with that impression.

Although I don't want everything tied up in a nice little bow, the film ends in the midst of a Pyrrhic victory without putting enough of the idea across whether it was all worth it.

After such an excellent film, I was hoping for just a hint more in the final seconds.

Yeah, yeah, I know. Always leave 'em wanting more, right?
ImageImage

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:12 pm

The ending is one of my favorite things about the film. It's also important to remember the reintroduction of the title card, the sound of children's voices, and then the hopeful music over the credits, as if waking up from a sobering nightmare into a sunny day. That's part of the film too, and for me, that was more effective as a sign of hope than any scene that could have played out. Hope and faith are very subjective, and they lose their power when they are overrendered (just like a drawing).

On a side note , I saw the film a second time recently. It's still the real deal. This one's a classic. I was amazed at the efficiency in the storytelling. Much like Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, so much of the larger story is told in the background details. I had so much fun just running with all those small details and piecing together the broader mythology and the world they live in. I was also afraid that the film would lose its power on repeat viewings, but when the pause-in-the-fighting scene came on, I was once again an emotional wreck. What a powerful piece of cinema.

Og

Post by Og » Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:30 pm

Ah. I missed the children's voices and the hopeful music. That is the hint I was looking for.

I can tell it will hold up well on repeated viewings. Every inch of the screen is full of great details, more than you can possibly pick up on the first viewing.
ImageImage

Charlie the choo choo

Post by Charlie the choo choo » Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:04 pm

I just saw it, fucking amazing. I was shaking afterwords. One of the best movies I've ever seen. Just amazing.
To view the last of me, a living frame
For one more picture! in a sheet of flame
I saw them and I knew them all. And yet
Dauntless the slug-horn to my lips I set,
And blew. "Childe Roland to the Dark Tower came."

thirdeyeh

Post by thirdeyeh » Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:45 pm

This was easily the best movie I've seen since King Kong last year. It so well captures a since of environment, emotion, and action. There are a few great directors out that no matter what the subject matter bring a touch to the film that is amazing. I think we're just starting to see the face of our new great entertainers and Alfonso is definately at the top. Brilliant and unnerving. I never felt comfortable watching this thing.