Discuss films.
Johnny Neat

Children of Men

Post by Johnny Neat » Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:02 am

Visit the GK Movie Watch Blog at www.Galaxykid.blogspot.com

SonOfaRich

Post by SonOfaRich » Mon Jul 24, 2006 5:51 pm

This looks crazy.
Intergalactic proton powered electrical tentacle advertising droids!!!!!

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Wed Dec 27, 2006 2:35 am

I just saw this film tonight, and I can easily call it a masterpiece. This is the best film I have seen this year. Its message is sweet and simple, and it's one that could easily have been mired by even an average production, but thankfully, Alfonso Cuaron and his impeccable cast and crew have done an absolutely amazing job creating this film. For now, I'll just say you should all go see it and I look forward to seeing it again soon.

update: just posted a review on my blog...

Coffee and TV

Post by Coffee and TV » Wed Dec 27, 2006 12:22 pm

I'm going to check this out later this afternoon. I've been looking forward to this and 300.

Also, Pan's Labyrinth comes out this week! I highly recommend everyone see it.

Coffee and TV

Post by Coffee and TV » Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:47 pm

Incredibly moving.

To begin with, I can easily agree with Kazu; this is the best movie I've seen all year. I'll try to give you my opinion of the movie without spoiling any of it.

I went into the theater expecting a futuristic, psychological thriller that might be a little like Minority Report. Surprisingly enough, politics take a backseat to issues of personal values and a society sincerely affected by a slowly approaching armageddon. That said, there are is still a good bit of political commentary peppered throughout the film. What really caught me unaware, though, was the quality of the acting. I love Clive Owen and Michael Caine, but I was never too impressed with Julianne Moore, until now. Claire-Hope Ashitey also did an incredible job dealing the role of the lone fertile woman on the earth.

The only issue that may annoy some viewers and possibly turn some people away is the fact that the whole plot is based on a first person perspective, and thus many questions go unanswered. Cuaron leaves a lot out in the open, but I believe he did it intentionally. For instance, no one ever knows or explains why women have become infertile, though the characters toss around various theories. For the film to actually delve into the tedious task of trying to answer such questions would most likely end up alienating the viewers and bog down the well-paced plot.

I could go on and on, but I really need some sleep. I really hope that you can all see this at one point or another.

EDIT: I'm retarded when it comes to actor names~

SonOfaRich

Post by SonOfaRich » Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:24 pm

I finally saw this and wow it's as crazy as I thought it would be. The film is like a cross between "Bladerunner" and "Saving Private Ryan". It also is similar to the show "24" where the story takes place in almost a 24 hour period and Cuaron is able to compact what they do in one 24 episode season into a feature length film. The pacing is quite similar. And finally the last thing that came to my head while watching this film is the hit pc game, "Half Life 2". It's got a very similar environment/world minus the gravity gun and aliens =P.

What I'm most impressed with in this film is the camera work. http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/ne ... &cset=true

Definitely recommended.

SonOfaRich

Post by SonOfaRich » Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:12 pm

Got some questions about the film....

************SPOILERS*****************

1. I was wondering, why didn't Julianne Moore duck when she saw the guy pointing a gun at her?
2. What was going on with the rest of the world outside of Britain? Why were there so many refugees trying to come in?

Ganter

Post by Ganter » Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:53 pm

Not sure about #1, maybe she was too shocked?

But as for #2, they showed a brief news clipping on a tv in a bus in the beginning. The rest of the major cities of the world fell into chaos and anarchy as people lost hope for survival of the species, with Britain being the only city still trying to go about business in the usual way.

This movie is by far the best movie I've seen all year too, I can't wait to see it again. It sticks with you long after the film is over, in a good way.

SonOfaRich

Post by SonOfaRich » Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:03 pm

Chaos and anarchy? That's it? That's why those people fled to Britain to get locked up and killed?

I remember the news video on the bus, but it happened so fast and seemed like propaganda. The video made it look like the rest of the world blew up. I wasn't too sure what the purpose of that was.

neil

Post by neil » Mon Jan 01, 2007 2:36 pm

I thought this movie was pretty great too. This must be the scariest dystopia I've seen on film, because it's so plausibly projected from our own society. Even without the catalyst of sudden sterilization, it's not hard to imagine something causing internally stable western nations to collapse into poverty-ridden autocracies (with weird vestiges of consumer culture), what with everything hanging in such a flimsy balance. Even the cultural observations like the music of the future, and the mass mourning for Baby Diego rang true. (The latter reminded me of the wake of Princess Di, still fresh in mind from Stephen Frears' "The Queen".) And I very much liked how everything just sort of flew by in the background or organically informed the plot, rather than the movie delivering hammy sermons--"V for Vendetta" and the like are execrable compared to this. What makes it even more special is that even in the swarm of ultraviolence, we're offered such a genuinely moving humanity. The scene with the soldiers and the baby feels like one of cinema's best antiwar statements.

As for the questions, I'm certain that the movie on the bus was there to show us why the "fugees" might want to flock to Great Britain, as well as to show us how propagandistic the society had become (these aren't mutually exclusive). After all, it really did look like the rest of the world was breaking down (there was a mushroom cloud in New York, and Julianne Moore's character's parents apparently died in this disaster, etc.). It's also possible that the country was cutting off its present population of immigrants, who didn't see it coming (that was practically a concentration camp that they rode through). Countries on the decline usually scapegoat their immigrants, e.g. Nazi Germany.
I love Clive Owen and Michael Caine, but I was never too impressed with Julianne Moore, until now.
Have you seen Safe or Far From Heaven? She's a great actor!

So yeah, this is one of those rare sci-fi stories that elevates itself to a worthwhile commentary on human nature and society. Be careful about seeing it on a huge loud multiplex screen though--there's a super-serving of violent action, and half the audience was nursing headaches afterward.

Josh-Ulrich

Post by Josh-Ulrich » Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:04 pm

This movie by and far exceded my expectations. Incredibly moving. I felt like I was holding my breath the entire time.

The film did an outstanding job of making me feel a part of the story. The characters felt real, the situations were believable and the state of the world was frighteningly within the realms of possibility.

I strongly recommend everyone go see this film. It's definately given me the inspiration kick I needed to get past the holiday slump.

SonOfaRich

Post by SonOfaRich » Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:26 pm

Og

Post by Og » Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:58 am

I thought it was very cool, very stylish, loads of atmosphere. I like Clive Owen quite a bit, and I love that he never became an action hero, never picked up a gun or anything. He was definitely the reluctant hero.

But did anyone else find the ending a bit too abrupt?
ImageImage

SonOfaRich

Post by SonOfaRich » Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:40 pm

I thought the ending was perfect for what he wanted. Read the interview above.

Mikie

Post by Mikie » Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:51 pm

This movie was brilliant!!! I loved it! First great movie of the year. :D