The Animatrix

Discuss films.
aquateen000

The Animatrix

Post by aquateen000 » Fri Feb 27, 2004 10:36 pm

I was personally disapointed with this. What did everyone else think?
"I gave up on books when 'To Kill A Mockingbird' gave me no useful advice on how to kill a mockingbird."

Mothos

Post by Mothos » Fri Feb 27, 2004 11:27 pm

As a whole, I thought it was great. I think some people were disappointed (and I'm not saying you're one of them) because it wasn't an animated version of the movie. The Animatrix expanded the world of the Matrix to encompass smaller aspects of the matrix entity and some backstory for the films. Sure some shorts had more 'vision' than others but it makes for some interesting viewing, especially if you're a fan of animation.

One of my favorites is (edit: whoops, wrote the wrong title, it's actually:)Beyond. Every shot was composed so beautifully. An incredible job on the lighting, so atmospheric. I laughed though when I recognized one of the kid's voices was the same as that of Bobby Hill (King of the Hill)!
Last edited by Mothos on Sat Feb 28, 2004 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

SonOfaRich

Post by SonOfaRich » Fri Feb 27, 2004 11:55 pm

I haven't seen it in awhile, but i think it's definitely better than Matrix Reloaded and Revolutions. Combined, if that even helps. =P

Some of the best animated short films.

BlindingForce

Post by BlindingForce » Sat Feb 28, 2004 12:05 am

I think I'm one of the few people I know that actually enjoyed the matrix movies and the animatrix. I think the key is not to go into it expecting anything and you'll come out happy. This is what happened with star wars. A person already has a preconceived idea and when that idea isn't met then ultimately they are disappointed. I'm talking story and concepts here...not bad directing.
Anthony Schiavino

Designer Blinding Force Productions
Mass Market Designer/Assistant TOR Books

aquateen000

Post by aquateen000 » Sat Feb 28, 2004 12:05 am

its all about opinion.
"I gave up on books when 'To Kill A Mockingbird' gave me no useful advice on how to kill a mockingbird."

otisframpton

Post by otisframpton » Sat Feb 28, 2004 1:34 am

BlindingForce, you took the words right out of my mouth.

-Otis

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Sat Feb 28, 2004 3:20 am

"Beyond" is brilliant. I liked "Detective Story" quite a bit, too.

douglas a. bot

Post by douglas a. bot » Sat Feb 28, 2004 5:27 am

I really enjoyed the Animatrix. Definetly above and beyond the 2nd and 3rd films. They actually stayed with the the great original ideas that the first film set up...and the next two completely lost track of.

Is beyond the one with the haunted house? That was my favourite, stunning short film.
I enjoyed the story of the Matrix too...the first two films.

d.

shojogirl

Post by shojogirl » Sat Feb 28, 2004 8:15 am

I definitely liked Animatrix better than the last two Matrix movies, although on the whole, I could live without ever having seen any of them.
I wish ...

RobotHero

Post by RobotHero » Sat Feb 28, 2004 11:21 am

I liked Animatrix, not necessarily because it was animated, but because it was a series of short films, and they experimented more than they could have got away with in a feature-length movie. I think there should be more science-fiction movies that experiment with the stories more.

biffno

Post by biffno » Sat Feb 28, 2004 11:29 am

"Beyond" was my favourite short in the animatrix; the visuals and storyline were incredible. The one with the runner (I forget what its called) was sheer sweetness too, if only for the wicked muscle definition the animator put into some of the characters. Overall, I really loved the whole movie. It had you thinking for hours after you watched it, and the animation was breathtaking.

Finnegan

Post by Finnegan » Sun Feb 29, 2004 2:20 am

overall i really enjoyed it. i think it's great that we can have a dvd with such a diverse group of talent on it. honestly, the fact that this was intended for release in america (notoriously NOT the ideal market for this sort of thing) is really impressive to me.

it's kinda like an anthology if you think about it

i'd love to see a followup to it (although at this point, i doubt we will)

=BoB=

Stick
Flight Moderator

Post by Stick » Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:26 pm

final flight of the osiris was my favourite.

househatke

Post by househatke » Sun Feb 29, 2004 2:13 pm

I thought Beyond was beautiful. When I borrowed the Animatrix from a friend, that's the one I watched about four times. Everything about it was good. the timing, the tendancy toward silence and softer sounds, the urban summer feeling.

The other shorts were a mix, but in the end they didn't seem that special.

Actually, Detective Story was also pretty neat.

Woody

Post by Woody » Mon Mar 01, 2004 2:54 am

I absolutely adore the Animatrix. My favorite is Detective Story. Shinichiro Watanabe has a way with animation (I love the grainy look throughout). And the shading in World Record is very cool. I really dig the moment when he throws the key, because it flows so smoothly for being traditional animation rather than 3D animation.