Earthsea Trailer

Discuss films.
gau dog

Earthsea Trailer

Post by gau dog » Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:01 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GS7wLEs7 ... h=earthsea
Looks good. Has a wierd Nausicaa/Laupta setting vibe to it. Let's hope the story's good too.

It is kind of odd to hear Goro give his dad zero points as a father. Hayao's movies are always full of love and life and you'd think he wouldn't totally neglect his family. But it's also a little unsurprising. It kind of reminds me of Indy's relationship with his father. Hayao's too obsessed with chasing the Holy Grail. Maybe he has a little too much Japanese work ethic. I'd bet if Goro were a daughter instead of a son, Hayao would probably give a lot more attention. I mean, he even spends his summers in a mountain cabin with adolescent girls every year. And we know he's somewhat of a "feminist". So surely he'd love a daughter much more.

It's going to be more interesting just to hear what Hayao thinks about Goro's movie once it's completed, and how the Japanese and international public will recieve it.

Rocky

Post by Rocky » Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:15 pm

I like the Yakul-esque thing in it...and I can't wait to see how the dragon looks. The movie poster is so gorgeous looking...

Captain Uglyhead

Post by Captain Uglyhead » Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:59 pm

Goro's got good source material, that's for sure! I'm rooting for him to do an excellent job; It would both give him a great accomplishment, and provide the world with a good movie!
It follows the continuity of the third Ziganokum movie. It stars Shrub Mikanore as Ziganokum and Bizzorum. With Johothin Griggor as Nebulox.

jdalton

Re: Earthsea Trailer

Post by jdalton » Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:03 pm

gau dog wrote:I mean, he even spends his summers in a mountain cabin with adolescent girls every year.
Man, I didn't want to know that. I think I'm just going to ignore this and hope I'm never forced to face the truth of it (if it's true).

So... *ahem* This movie is based on Ursula LeGuin's books I take it? Good. I'm a big Ursula LeGuin fan. If they've done it right, it should be a very good movie.
Jonathon Dalton
Image Image

Josh Mauser

Post by Josh Mauser » Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:05 pm

er, maybe he's a camp counselor? That would be satisfying closure for me.

Anyhoo, I kind of doubt that it will be close to the book. I read that Howl's Moving Castle strayed pretty dang far from the book. Not that it's a bad thing. Miyazaki always manages to make movies based from other sources into his personal vision.

But yeah, Earthsea looks great! Did anyone see when it's to be released?

gau dog

Post by gau dog » Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:20 pm

So I read Earthsea got released in Japan recently and the buzz seems to be not too great.
http://hogacentral.blogs.com/hoganews/2 ... ave_r.html

Ursula Le Guin also shares her thoughts:
http://www.ursulakleguin.com/GedoSenkiResponse.html

I think I'd rather watch the remake "Toki wo Kakeru Shojo"/ "The Little Girl who Conquered Time" myself. I love nostalgic films.

Johnny Neat

COOL!

Post by Johnny Neat » Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:10 am

Gau Dog,
You beat me to the punch, lol. Yeah, this film could be it... since Howl's was a bit disappointing. Miyazaki is still the man though! I just hope his son can bring us as good a vision has his old man has done regardless of FAMILY STRIFE.

Oh and because the youtube link to the trailer was deleted due to lame issues, I grabbed it below from Studio Ghibli for everyone to enjoy...

OFFICIAL SITE TRAILER HERE
www.ghibli.jp/25trailer/

PEACE!
Last edited by Johnny Neat on Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
Visit the GK Movie Watch Blog at www.Galaxykid.blogspot.com

neil

Post by neil » Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:04 am

Wow! This looks great! I didn't even know this was coming.

I didn't know Miyazaki's son felt that way, but I could see how something like that might happen. A lot of artists seem to have strained father/son relationships; it reminds me of Frank King, who for decades created a funny and tender father-son relationship in "Gasoline Alley," but had a terrible one with his real son. I suppose in Japan it's probably more expected to have a workaholic patriarch, but it must feel different when all that love and passion is so visible in the work.

Kean
Site Admin

Post by Kean » Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:52 am

The second Earthsea trailer is up on the Ghibli website as well: http://www.ghibli.jp/26trailer/

It's really pretty and all, but I kind of wish the trailers gave us a little glimpse into what the story is about, or how they're going about telling it, though.

I mean, even Brave Story (which looks more like a straight-up action/adventure) looks more interesting and entertaining than what the Earthsea trailers have been communicating.

neil

Post by neil » Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:49 am

I almost wrote about how I appreciated that this first trailer doesn't reveal the story (I can't look at the second one right now), so you don't know what's coming when you actually watch the movie. I get that he's searching for (or expecting to find) this dragon and I'm glad it's as mysterious as possible.

The way the girl wipes or eyes, or that woman holds up the sheer cloth, or just the people milling about in town, are examples of genius animation to me! What I mean is that it's a lot more fulfilling than most of the trailers I see, even the ones that give us half the jokes and money-shots in a movie.

And I know this is an unpopular opinion, but I thought HOWL was just fantastic. I can't wait to see this!

jdalton

Post by jdalton » Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:11 pm

Well, now I don't know what to think. Ursula LeGuin is probably my favourite author and she has serious doubts about this movie. On the other hand, although not all Ghibli movies are equally good, I have yet to see one I didn't like. The animation in this, at least, looks top notch. I guess we'll just have to wait and see... But do we really have to wait until 2009?!
Jonathon Dalton
Image Image

Mikael P.

Post by Mikael P. » Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:53 pm

Still don't know what to think of this. To me they have borrowed too heavily from previous ghibli films, designwise that is.
Opinions about it doesn't bode well,
http://www.twitchfilm.net/archives/006968.html

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:09 pm

I also think it looks very nice, but I am guessing that Goro's lack of experience and confidence will make the film feel a little lost. You can almost sense the production team's sadness associated with Hayao Miyazaki's absence. Heheh. Sigh. Watching the production story of this film reminds me of the themes present in John Sayles's masterful Lone Star. However, that's not what this film is supposed to be about. The son's struggle to come into his own despite a legendary father may inappropriately overshadow the text in this case. I'll look forward to seeing it, though. The backgrounds look amazing.

This also reminds me of something Khang said a while ago, that Hayao Miyazaki is one of the few people we don't personally know whose passing will make him cry. I think I'm with him on that one....

Johnny Neat

Well...

Post by Johnny Neat » Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:24 am

jdalton, the release date for the states (that I have seen) was this Christmas time, so we're in luck.

As for Howl's, I thought it was well animated, as expected. But the story felt way too condensed and unclear for its own good. Plus on a side note: I really disliked Billy Crystal's voice over, UGH.

The trailer for this film seems a bit on the unfocused and limp side. I think and hope they energize the American trailer, so at least it can have a fighting chance here because I can't help feeling the average American audience will not feel this film based on the trailer I saw and that would be sad.
Visit the GK Movie Watch Blog at www.Galaxykid.blogspot.com

jshamblin

Re: Well...

Post by jshamblin » Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:38 am

Johnny Mercury wrote:As for Howl's, I thought it was well animated, as expected. But the story felt way too condensed and unclear for its own good. Plus on a side note: I really disliked Billy Crystal's voice over, UGH.
I thought Howl's Moving Castle was an excellent film. It's very thoughtful, well constructed and full of meaning. What was confusing or unclear to you?

Tales of Earthsea looks good from what little I've seen. I look forward to watching it! :D