Monster House

Discuss films.
SonOfaRich

Monster House

Post by SonOfaRich » Sun Nov 13, 2005 4:51 pm

Intergalactic proton powered electrical tentacle advertising droids!!!!!

Josh Mauser

Post by Josh Mauser » Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:48 pm

I think I saw this on the drawing board...

...I love Robert Zemeckis and I haven't seen Polar Express, but all of the people in this movie look like they could have easily been live action actors. I say if you're going to have an animated CG movie you should take advantage of the fact that it's animated (this doesn't apply to the house, of course).

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:55 pm

Hmm, after seeing the original animation tests and being impressed with them, I have to say that this looks pretty disappointing. Sigh. Well, at least Chris and Khang's character and environment designs have remained nearly spot-on.

Finnegan

Post by Finnegan » Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:34 pm

the environments are what i enjoyed the most about that trailer

=BoB=

Nofret

Post by Nofret » Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:54 am

Cartoony characters don't support well all that MoCap. In fact, that's a mix that shouldn't even exist: Cartoony means nay-nay to realistic movements. I felt like I was watching the old Lord of the Rings animated film.
That's what is most disappointing :(

Still, the design looks fun.
BGs look very nice (would have looooved to see more of the house), and the story looks interesting. Will probably go and see it.

Joey

Post by Joey » Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:35 am

Uhh...I can't watch the trailer...I get a big broken Quicktime icon... :(
Visit the Tragic Planet!

Vince

Post by Vince » Tue Nov 15, 2005 6:30 pm

Gotta agree with you there, Johane. God knows why people still do it. It never works and looks unnatural. There's a great idea on the net somewhere called "the uncanny valley" about the profound creepiness that sets in when almost-human things move like humans.

I think if people do mocap, you have to push it, in which case you should be hiring ex-Disney animators anyway...

It's still awesome that Chris and Khang worked on this. They're two of my favorite artists of all time. I have to watch the trailer again to catch the designs...

neil

Post by neil » Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:04 pm

I really like the designs (especially the main character boy), but I was hoping the finished animation would have more of the sense of light and atmosphere that Chris's paintings do, so it's a little disappointing.

The next generation of 3d animation will, I hope, look more like moving paintings and offer more such possibilities. I think that's the plan for American Dog?

agremar

Post by agremar » Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:11 pm

Vince wrote: I think if people do mocap, you have to push it, in which case you should be hiring ex-Disney animators anyway...
Who's to say they didn't ;)

Ian Jay
Location: America: The Magical Land of Neutron Bombs, Lean Pockets, And Napoleon Dynamite

Post by Ian Jay » Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:55 pm

It's an interesting, if sparse, concept for a movie, and the general design is good... it's just that every CGI character you see nowadays looks and moves in much the same way as all the others.

Not to say that they originally started like that. It's probably just the "uncanny valley" theory again: It tries too hard to be realistic, and ends up being over-realistic. A few descriptive sentences can say a lot more than many pages of computer code.

~IJ

Coheteboy

Post by Coheteboy » Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:15 pm

I wasn't quite sure what to think about this one. I think the audiences weren't really on board until the name "Steven Spielberg" went on and then they changed their tune to "well... it's probably gonna be ok".

I'll reserve judgement until I see more footage. A lot of it is just how trailers are cut, and I didn't care for this one much at all.
My name is Dave.