Good Bad Movies...

Discuss films.
Coheteboy

Post by Coheteboy » Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:19 pm

Speaking of Batman and all that, I recenty bought the enitre Batman film anthology box set.

Batman & Robin is just plain bad. But the first three are bad and yet watchable.
My name is Dave.

Vince

Post by Vince » Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:46 pm

I bet the Batman and Robin DVD makes a great combination hand mirror/coaster. I used to use AOL trial CDs as coasters all the time. :roll:

Ian Jay
Location: America: The Magical Land of Neutron Bombs, Lean Pockets, And Napoleon Dynamite

Post by Ian Jay » Fri Nov 04, 2005 8:16 am

Yeah. AOL CDs. I used to hoard those things away whenever I got them in the mail, promising myself that I'd use them someday, yet secretly knowing that, once I placed them in my closet or wherever, they'd never see the light of day again.

I did much the same thing with empty egg cartons, shoeboxes, gift wrap tubes, and any large-sized bit of cardboard. I was crazy like that. In some ways, I still am.

~IJ

joe.annabi

Post by joe.annabi » Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:45 pm

Joe Shig wrote:From what I've heard, the Batman Begins filmmakers are pretending that the old Batman movies never existed.
Thank the gods! And hopefully, whoever ends up playing the Joker in the next film won't end up dying at the end of the movie. It was so strange and unlike the comix to have one encounter with the villain and then they die. No sense of history or continuity.

The microwave weapon's lack of plausible explanation was an oversight for certain, but it didn't wreck the movie for me. The thing that really bugs me is the quick cuts on the fight scenes. You can't tell what's happening, and the features on the DVD show that there was some actual hardcore fighting going on. Who knew? Hopefully they'll take their ritalin and push back the camera a little in the next one.

So, I purchased and watched HOUSE & HOUSE II. I can't see how a person would think House was superior to House II. I've heard that it's scarier, which it isn't. Neither are scary. The scariest character for me is the evil cowboy, and he's in the second one. The first was definitely lacking logic, and a purpose, and characters that made sense or I gave a damn about. The second remains one of my 80's favorites. I love the creature effects, and the glowing skull crystal, and the swashbuckling electrician, and it actually being funny is nice too. :) Consider my two cents given.

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:05 am

Haha, I'll bet if I saw the original House now I'd think it was terrible. The film used to scare the crap out of me when I was a kid, though. Another one that had a strong impression on me was a pretty bad film called The Car, starring James Brolin. I kept getting this film mixed up with John Carpenter's Christine, since they both had possessed cars in them. For some reason, I felt like possessed cars were really intriguing when I was a kid. It may have had something to do with Knight Rider. Man, I loved KITT.

joe.annabi

Post by joe.annabi » Thu Nov 17, 2005 3:39 am

Yeah. Kitt was so awesome. That character rules, and yet, Knight Rider is painful viewing with my adult brain. Too many scenes that don't prominently feature the dope car.

Carrie was pretty scary way back when. The Car I've never seen.

TOTALLY UNRELATED: just watched the end of Angel season 2, and it was super fun. Fred is a babe & a half. Had to share. :)

Vince

Post by Vince » Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:11 am

I like how much of a smartass KITT was. He probably knew how important he was. He probably thought, Any dumbass can hit the "winch" button. Without me, you're just a go-kart racer. I sure as hell didn't watch the show for Hasselhoff's dramatic presence.

(REPLY TO TOTALLY UNRELATED: Yes. Yes, she is. I have it on good authority that she looks great in real life. A weird moment was when increasingly cute Willow passed increasingly scrawny Buffy in hotness. Of course, some people think she always did...)

joe.annabi

Post by joe.annabi » Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:24 am

I can't compare the two. They've both surpassed eachother's beauty at times. I'd happily marry them both, and I mean that polygamously. :) Back to Fred though, I hope she continues to appear in the further Angel seasons.

Continuing the Buffy Tangent, I made this animated GIF of the wonderful thing the mailman brought me today: http://www.sparklingseahorse.com/randuji/buffy.gif

I just watched the extra super bonus disc. I am more complete as a human being now. I sold all of my old season sets to afford the Chosen Collection, and made a 30 dollar profit. Yay!

Last year at this time I had never watched any Buffy. Done with it, I'm now about to start season 3 of Angel. I'm seriously a different person now. Even my speech patterns have changed. I highly recommend Buffy to anyone who is even more behind the times than myself.

I don't feel too bad about hijacking this thread since it's mostly dead and twitchy anyhow. ;)

Josh Mauser

Post by Josh Mauser » Sat Nov 19, 2005 11:31 am

Coheteboy wrote:Speaking of Batman and all that, I recenty bought the enitre Batman film anthology box set.

Batman & Robin is just plain bad. But the first three are bad and yet watchable.
hey now, the first Batman movie was great! Maybe it's because I was a kid when I saw it (impressionable and all), but I can remember so many lines from that movie, and how they were delivered...ahh, yeah.

AND there was Danny Elfman. AND, it spawned the Batman animated series, which was the best Batman cartoon in my opinion.

"You ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?" Bad-ass!

I'd have to say one of my favorite good-bad movies would have to be Independence Day. It has this great feel to it even though almost everything about it is just soooo corny and bad.

Plus, it established the Will Smith archetype character sequence. Man gets beaten up by weird alien creature, then says "Why you gotta be messin with us? Actin all BIG and BAD with yo spaceships and shit. Hey now, where you goin' baby? Where you goin? " and so on.

joe.annabi

Post by joe.annabi » Sat Nov 19, 2005 3:49 pm

Josh Mauser wrote:hey now, the first Batman movie was great! Maybe it's because I was a kid when I saw it (impressionable and all), but I can remember so many lines from that movie, and how they were delivered...ahh, yeah.

AND there was Danny Elfman. AND, it spawned the Batman animated series, which was the best Batman cartoon in my opinion.
Agreed. And also, that scene in Vicki Vale's apartment where Bruce cleverly uses a serving tray under his shirt to protect him from the Joker shooting him. That whole scene is classic.

I've always been an ID4 fan too, it was way cool when it first came out.

gau dog

Post by gau dog » Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:44 am

I like good bad movies most when they are unintentionally funny. Like "The Running Man" or the "Mad Max" series. Cheesy 70's-80's movies are the best. Rocky III, IV, V, Rambo II, III, Commando are just classic.

Actually, good bad movies often make me feel that appeal is the most important thing in a movie or entertainment piece with story being second. A bad story with irresistable appeal suceeds if audiences like it even though it's bad. It's like watching Bruce Lee movies. Yeah, most his movies have moldy cheese growing all over it but you can't take your eyes off his screen presence.

Many Godzilla movies and Kung Fu movies are just pure guilty pleasures.