Good Bad Movies...

Discuss films.
Kazu
Site Admin

Good Bad Movies...

Post by Kazu » Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:27 am

Heheh, so I got back from seeing Flightplan tonight. This film is a great example of a lot of really talented people working on a very flawed, but hilariously bad, script. The premise is fine, even compelling, and the execution is pretty classy, but the character motivations and the unfolding of the plot is such a complete mess, the film devolves into characters blatantly stating the subtext perhaps in an attempt to make up for the lack of emotional punch (and common sense) at the end. It's a pretty frontloaded film, with the setup done well and worth watching, and the payoff so hilariously bad its awfulness actually in some ways enhances the viewing experience. In that regard, I give this unintentional comedy a very mild thumbs up. I was telling my friend Khang that it should be titled Badplan instead. If you've seen it, I think you'll know what I mean.

You guys have any instances of films that are bad but you still enjoy them for one reason or another? I really liked The Day After Tomorrow. Where else can you watch a big budget event film where the main characters are frantically running away from the encroaching evil of COLD AIR. The ice! The ice! Heheheh. I love good bad movies. Sometimes I feel like I learn more about storytelling watching these films than I do from watching some really good ones...
Last edited by Kazu on Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kean
Site Admin

Re: Good Bad Movies...

Post by Kean » Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:41 am

Kazu wrote:I really liked The Day After Tomorrow. Where else can you watch a big budget event film where the main characters are frantically running away from the encroaching evil of COLD AIR. The ice! The ice! Heheheh. I love good bad movies.
...and then they slam the door shut! BECAUSE THAT WILL KEEP THE ICE FROM GETTING TO THEM.

I was the only person laughing out loud on the airplane when I was watching it. :)

SonOfaRich

Post by SonOfaRich » Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:30 am

And don't forget the Wolves. LOL!

As for BADPLAN, you are right. It's totally frontloaded. Setup is great. I think it was so good that they forgot to come up with a resolution. The setup wouldn't have been as good without those actors though. They played their roles pretty darn well. Up until the end. I say watch it and just don't think about it.

This almost sounds like an under appreciated category. :P

I'm going to add THE TRANSPORTER 2 to this list. That film made me giggle and go "wtf?" every ten minutes. What a wild film. I don't know if I have ever seen a film that was such a pure action film. The action sequences were so bizarre and outrageous, its what I would imagine from a comic book movie. The Transporter can be the next comic book super hero.
Intergalactic proton powered electrical tentacle advertising droids!!!!!

Jeppo

Post by Jeppo » Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:14 am

That film made me giggle and go "wtf?" every ten minutes. What a wild film. I don't know if I have ever seen a film that was such a pure action film.
Pure action? have you heard of this korean film called 'versus'?
it'll make you go wtf every few seconds.
non of the characters have names! with the exception of about 2 short scenes, its just PURE action. its so bad, its good.
The same director also made a film called Azumi, which has some 'nifty' action sequences. and an awesome shot in 'the final battle'

Joe Shig

Post by Joe Shig » Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:50 am

I love the cheesyness of The Shadow(directed by Highlander's Russel Mulcahy). It was a huge flop at the cinemas, but I just think it's fab. Great performances and some interesting set-pieces. They captured the cheesy pulpiness of the original Shadow incarnations perfectly. Plus it has a young(er) Ian McKellen in it!. Does anyone else like this flick? It has some classic lines:

[Shiwan Khan flicking a big chinese coin and disappearing] "For the bourbon! We will meet again."

Heheh, me and my mates always use that line when paying for something.

And also:

"You speak Chinese!"
[Smugly] "Only Mandarin."

:D
--Joe.

Mothos

Post by Mothos » Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:12 am

It's all about Pearl Harbor. The movie doesn't so much have dialogue but one-liners strung together in sequence.

Rafe: Land of the free!
Danny: Home of the brave!

Me: Bwa-ha-hahaha!

Then you get to watch an action sequence that's technically beautiful and runs on entirely too long!

It's the only movie I went completely MST3K on in the theatre. On openig night no less.

bulius

Post by bulius » Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:43 am

My all time favorite of the good bad movies is the Blade trilogy. It just seemed that every sequel was a huge parady of the previous version. Blade 2 introduced Triple H as a vampire (don't forget the vampire dog), and then 3 had Van Wilder fighting vampires. Best quote ever: "I ate garlic for dinner, and I just farted."

Another reason I love these movies is they actually have sweet soundtracks. I'm sure everyone is sick of New Order's "Confusion," but it started a long string of copy cat remixes. And the second movie's soundtrack was some of the best hip-hop/electronic mash ups I've ever heard.

Also, I'll have to agree with Pearl Harbor's action sequence. There are versions with all the romantic crap cut out, but I think the contrast of that stuff put in the same movie makes it all the sweeter.

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:21 pm

Joe Shig wrote:I love the cheesyness of The Shadow(directed by Highlander's Russel Mulcahy).
Ooh, he also directed Ricochet! I really enjoyed that one! He seems to have a track record similar to Michael Lehmann, who directed Hudson Hawk, Heathers, and My Giant!

While these guys are still pretty talented filmmakers, there is one director I follow for sheer badness: Albert Pyun. Oh boy, he's made some wonderful stinkers like Captain America and a bunch of films starring Christopher Lambert and Mario Van Peebles. He even made Cyborg and Dollman! On that note, I used to love the film Trancers, and would watch any B-movies with Tim Thomerson in them...

Kean
Site Admin

Post by Kean » Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:33 pm

...I am silently hoping SNAKES ON A PLANE will be as awesome as advertised.

SonOfaRich

Post by SonOfaRich » Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:53 pm

Kean wrote:...I am silently hoping SNAKES ON A PLANE will be as awesome as advertised.
On board a flight over the Pacific Ocean, an assassin, bent on killing a passenger who's a witness in protective custody, let loose a crate full of deadly snakes.

WTH? Are you sure this is not a hoax? =P

Captain America, Cyborg, and Dollman aren't Good Bad. They are just Bad Bad! Wow, Pyun seems to be the master of B movies.

For some odd reason, my cousin owns this movie on dvd. Godmonster of Indian Flats
Last edited by SonOfaRich on Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Intergalactic proton powered electrical tentacle advertising droids!!!!!

Kean
Site Admin

Post by Kean » Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:35 pm

SonOfaRich wrote:On board a flight over the Pacific Ocean, an assassin, bent on killing a passenger who's a witness in protective custody, let loose a crate full of deadly snakes.

WTH? Are you sure this is not a hoax? =P
Samuel L. Jackson has gone on record in a few interviews about this movie (and the title of said movie), so it's kind of hard to believe that this is actually a hoax. If it is, I will be sadly disappointed (I really am looking forward to seeing this movie). I mean, it's SNAKES ON A MOTHERFUCKING PLANE! Seriously, who wouldn't want to go see that?

Also, no one has mentioned STARSHIP TROOPERS yet. :P

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:46 pm

Man, along with The 40-Year Old Virgin I gotta say Snakes on a Plane is one of the best movie titles I've ever heard. :D

Joe Shig

Post by Joe Shig » Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:03 pm

Kean wrote:Also, no one has mentioned STARSHIP TROOPERS yet. :P
I wouldn't count that. I saw it as more as a parody/satire rather than a genuinely bad flick. It is cheesy as hell, though.

There's another movie starring Christopher Lambert and directed by Russel Mulcahy called Resurrection, which is basically just the poor man's Se7en. The serial killer in this one kills people in order to obtain body parts to re-build the body of Christ. Yes, you heard right - he's making a Jesus. It's actually not half bad, production-wise, and there are some killer lines:

Police Chief: "Talking to you is like pissing into the wind!"

At any rate, it's much better than The Bone Collector.
--Joe.

Reno

Post by Reno » Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:59 pm

awesome thread. im going to vote for xXx as one of the greatest bad movies of all time. theres really some mind blowing stuff there;

1. youre in the Xander zone.
2. my name is Gibbons. Augustus Gibbons.
3. are you going to get on the plane or is 'kiss my ass, scarface' your final answer?

I would also like to give a nod to the first Anaconda movie. Jon Voight's accent is ... inspiring. He pronounces explode as "esplo" and i think Ice Cube kills the snake with the line, "I kill you, bitch."
"i wanna rock right now, my name is dave and I came to get down."

dave roman

Post by dave roman » Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:43 pm

If you watch the Country Bears movie in the right context it can be pretty amazing. Especially every scene with Christopher Walken.

I'm not kidding!

My friends and I laughed our asses off through that whole film. In the theater!