Broken Flowers

Discuss films.
Yuikio

Broken Flowers

Post by Yuikio » Sun Aug 28, 2005 7:14 pm

No thread yet? It won the Sundance Golden Walnut or whatever.

wendy w

Post by wendy w » Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:51 am

So what's it about then?
(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < ) Bunny says you need to read

Joey

Post by Joey » Mon Aug 29, 2005 1:05 pm

It's the new Jim Jarmusch movie and it's starring Bill Murray, looking sad on the poster. I kind of go back and forth on my opinion of Jarmush, but I like movies where Bill Murray is sad, ha ha, so I want to see it! :D

From what I gather, Murray is a playboy kind of guy who finds out he has a son, and goes through the women of his past to find out who the mother is...
Visit the Tragic Planet!

Ryansias

Post by Ryansias » Mon Aug 29, 2005 3:48 pm

i saw it.. it's all right.. not great.. and it's SLOW.... but most of the other characters besides Mr. murry are fantastic.. and their is some funny stuff in the movie.. but it's no lost in translation... if ya know what i mean.. It's a charcater study... and the ending leaves something to be desired.... i found my self wanting something elce....

Ryan

Yuikio

Post by Yuikio » Sat Sep 03, 2005 7:51 pm

Ryansias wrote:i saw it.. it's all right.. not great.. and it's SLOW.... but most of the other characters besides Mr. murry are fantastic.. and their is some funny stuff in the movie.. but it's no lost in translation... if ya know what i mean.. It's a charcater study... and the ending leaves something to be desired.... i found my self wanting something elce....

Ryan
I agree almost completely. The film simply assumed that you cared about Bill Murray because he is the character with the most screen time. There would be long, painful, uninterrupted shots of him sitting on a sofa with one sad, resigned, bored expression. It was like, "How sad is this? Man, this frame could go right in the Met." The whole movie was just too happy with it's own minimalist expression. It definitely wasn't remarkable. It had that Napoleon Dynamite-esque bore-you-in-a-meaningful-way vibe.
My feelings are basically that it's ultimately a mediocre movie with some good moments (Six Feet Under type dream sequences that were very cool, Shooter McGavin's little cameo) that are drowned out by the ridiculous levels of pretention that went into making a movie like this.

neil

Post by neil » Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:07 pm

I wouldn't say the movie rises to the level of pretension, but I was expecting a little more of Jarmusch--some parts came off a tad melodramatic, especially the ending, which felt cliche enough to be in a TV commercial. But relative to most other movies, I did enjoy it. I took it more as a really funny dark comedy than a sad character study, and I actually liked it more when the plot wasn't moving.

KingMixer

Post by KingMixer » Tue Sep 13, 2005 6:04 pm

That's pretty accurate Neil, there are a few great scenes and great moments, but you don't really walk away wowed or changed by the film.

Yuikio

Post by Yuikio » Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:24 am

I guess I was a little out of line when I said those things. I didn't hate it; I was just pretty disappointed when I wrote that after having seen the movie that won Sundance and walking away cold. There were some good moments, but I guess I felt like Jarmusch just took for granted that the audience could connect with Don on an emotional level after giving us nothing to sympathize with or even like. When he was sitting on his sofa with that weird resigned-complacent look, and the shot lingered for like 40 seconds, that's what bugged me the most. It's supposed to arouse sympathy or something but we haven't seen anything about Don except that he sits on his nice sofa alot and he is ambivalent about his girlfriend.

neil

Post by neil » Thu Sep 22, 2005 12:52 pm

I disagree that the director was trying to create a lot of sympathy for his character--he's presented to us as this independently wealthy guy who can basically have sex as much as he wants, has a great relationship with his neighbor, and has no responsibilities. Not much to feel bad about there... At no point did I feel sorry for him. But people do develop ambivalent attitudes toward life, and we can all at least empathize with that. I think that may have been the reason I found the movie really funny--no sympathy at all. The only sympathetic moment came at the very end, which I didn't like.

Yuikio

Post by Yuikio » Fri Sep 30, 2005 7:11 pm

Hmm. I guess I saw it the opposite way; even though he is rich, even though he is "Don Juan," which we don't hear enough in the movie, :roll: and all, his life is kinda pathetic. He sits on his sofa with a morose look on his face. His neighbor is more excited about his potential son than he is because he doesn't care about anything. And in that way, I felt like it was trying to pull sympathy. And it totally did not for me.

But with your interpretation, I can see why people actually liked it.

Sam Grey
Location: 2 feet behind my cpu, in my room, on Johnson 4th East, at Asbury College

Post by Sam Grey » Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:49 pm

I didn’t really like this movie, i thought that the acting was defiantly up to par, but i thought that it was too slow, it had bad editing, and i thought it seemed like a 30 min. short that was moved to 2 hours with out adding any dialogue. the only thing that i saw in this movie that i really thought was note worthy was that every time he saw some kid who he thought could possibly be his son, they were in similar cloths as he was.
Sam
I would rather have a bottle in front of me
Than a frontal lobotomy
-Hunter S. Thompson-