King Kong...

Discuss films.
kamikazestyle

Post by kamikazestyle » Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:43 am

anyone else notice the sumatran rat monkey cage on the boat?

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:18 pm

kamikazestyle wrote:anyone else notice the sumatran rat monkey cage on the boat?
Haha! That's great! I need to see Dead/Alive (Braindead) again. It's been a while...

douglas a. bot

Post by douglas a. bot » Wed Dec 21, 2005 5:38 am

"Dear industry types and pundit sorts,
Since winning a lot of your Oscars you have now empowered me with the powers and knowledge of the secrets to filmic succes.
It is a simple formula - The kids love the bloated epics and they jones for the DVD extras!
Thus i propose a grand vision in which i bring these two together and make out with them. Sloppily and in public.

Hear me out in point form -

- I envisage as much forced characterisation and pointless faux intellectualism as i can muster.
- Because i am now your king and it's my masterpeice, scenes that one time would be deleted and packaged as a gimmick to make DVD sales will now be included so every moment will linger for two minutes too long.
- I'm smarter than you...keep your eyes PEELED for the dodgy subtext, it is healthily smeared throughout.
- I've been hanging out with LOTR fans a while...and they don't really know much about girls...BUT i've heard chicks dig a romance. Also sunsets and a lot of 5 minute lingering looks while being breathed on by a giant ape! Female target audience taken CARE of.
- I've also added some pointless and slightly creepy men and boys at sea dramatics...for the "pointless and slightly creepy men and boys at sea drama" fans. Yo HO HO!

AND this will ALL be wrapped neatly around yet another self indulgent i think i can so i should RASTLIN' MONKEY FIGHTS VINE DINO'S x 3 Action ADVENTURE + darkie nig nog is evil and SAVAGE nature doco!!!

Love Pete.

p.s. Please forward my new Oscars to Peter Jackson, Middle Earth, Skul...i mean New Zealand. Ta.

Joe Shig

Post by Joe Shig » Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:03 am

The cynicism is strong with this one.
--Joe.

jdalton

Post by jdalton » Wed Dec 21, 2005 2:26 pm

Well, it was good and all- creepy, creepy bugs and old New York and I don't care what you guys say Jack Black is now my favourite dramatic actor- but (shrugs) I guess I'm just having trouble believing in giant gorillas. And usually I'll believe almost anything. (plus I didn't like the orkish islanders).
Jonathon Dalton
Image Image

douglas a. bot

Post by douglas a. bot » Wed Dec 21, 2005 3:24 pm

I would believe in giant prehistoric apes before i believed in Jack Black's dramatic acting skills.

ZING ZA BAM!

I bring you Gigantopithecus Blacki the 8th wonder of the world!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gigantopithecus
http://www.wynja.com/arch/gigantopithecus.html

Clank

Post by Clank » Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:13 pm

I saw the movie a few days ago with my friends, and we all thought it was way too long. I didn't even like it that much, for some reason. During the whole movie, I was sort of wondering how they were going to bring Kong back to the city, and how long it would take. Although the action scenes were epic, I got bored during some of those, too, because they were so long.

And I also could not take Jack Black seriously, mainly because my friend kept whispering "cock pushups". :shock:

But Naomi Watts is super hot, so the movie is okay by me. :P

jawa

Post by jawa » Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:54 pm

Peter Jackson's masterpiece is none other than Meet the Feebles. I rest my case.

Ian Jay
Location: America: The Magical Land of Neutron Bombs, Lean Pockets, And Napoleon Dynamite

Post by Ian Jay » Fri Dec 23, 2005 9:24 am

The best thing was seeing Jack Black sing his King Kong theme song on Saturday Night Live. He was all like,

King Kong!
Playin' a lot of Pong!
King Kong!
Fightin' the Viet Cong!
King Kong!
Jack Black wrote this song!
King Kong!
He's stuck where he don't beloooonngg....

Or something like that. It was all over-the-top and hilarious, which was a big contrast compared to anything else that SNL does these days.

~IJ

jdalton

Post by jdalton » Fri Dec 23, 2005 10:21 am

"sigh" Well, alright, let me try and defend my liking of Jack Black in this movie. The definition of a good actor probably has a lot to do with versatility- the ability to create a multitude of believable and engaging characters. I don't know how Jack Black rates on this scale. To be honest, I can't remember whether I've even seen any of his other movies (which may count in my favour when he tries to do drama instead of comedy).

In this movie, at least, I think he did an excellent job of the role he had- the over-the-top film director who starts out as a "lovable bastard," always in trouble but you can't help but like him, who then quickly ends up as just a bastard who's lies and betrayals get increasingly annoying (not to mention life-threatening) no matter how much he keeps smiling. This is a character that does not neatly fit into pre-existing Hollywood archetypes and I can't imagine anyone else doing a better job of this particular take on the character. I think a more serious actor would have been much less engaging to watch- not to mention exactly like every other villain in every other monster movie.

But maybe that's just me.
Jonathon Dalton
Image Image

peng8noodles

Post by peng8noodles » Mon Dec 26, 2005 1:43 am

Ian Jay wrote:
Or something like that. It was all over-the-top and hilarious, which was a big contrast compared to anything else that SNL does these days.

~IJ
i totally agree. that was a great song. and king kong was a great movie. i agree that it was...yes, a bit long and dragging at some points, but i thought that those were what made king kong so great. a great, emotion-filled movie. you could tell that peter jackson was totally into this, and that was really awesome because these days, you don't really see that anymore.

anyways...go see it! it is 3hrs and boy did my neck hurt afterwards but it was totally worth it! :D

Joey

Post by Joey » Mon Dec 26, 2005 10:52 pm

The song I kept thinking of was "King Kong" by Daniel Johnston (and later covered by Tom Waits). It's like 8 minutes long, and it's basically a description of the movie from start to finish...so every time time it would get to a certain part of the movie, lyrics would fly through my head, ha ha :D "He loved the woman!" especially, and of course when the Empire State Building comes in..."It was like a phallic symbol!"

Ho ho, anyway...I liked the movie. It was too long, I'll agree to that. And all the weird blurry slow motion shots weren't doin' it for me. But it was still a lot of fun. I love dinosaurs, and the 12 Brontosaur pile up, and the gang of t-rexes vs. Kong were a lot of fun. And I liked Jack Black surprisingly well. Yeah, I wasn't so sure about taking him seriously...but I think he worked well for the role he was in.
Visit the Tragic Planet!

Coheteboy

Post by Coheteboy » Tue Dec 27, 2005 5:41 pm

Dan Santat wrote:Skyscrapers + 30 Foot Gorilla = Quinessential King King.

Hehe... funniest typo ever. "King King"
My name is Dave.

Ian Jay
Location: America: The Magical Land of Neutron Bombs, Lean Pockets, And Napoleon Dynamite

Post by Ian Jay » Tue Dec 27, 2005 8:24 pm

King King? That would be the giant King from that new Burger King ad. I mean, he was always frightening, but now he's frightening AND the size of a ten-story building! Yikes!

~IJ

agremar

Post by agremar » Wed Dec 28, 2005 5:04 pm

I was rather let down by this one. I was excited after the trailers and after Comicon...but something was just missing overall. I think at least 40 minutes could be cut, and that all the other actors should have taken some tips from Naomi Watts who nailed her performance. Also, some of the special fx were atrocious...several bad comps and lighting, especially when running from the brontosauruses (kind of like oops, we gave you a great t-rex fight, but we ran out of money for the rest of the movie). Anyways, good but not exceptional.