Galaxy Express 999

Discuss films.
shojogirl

Galaxy Express 999

Post by shojogirl » Wed Jan 28, 2004 1:32 pm

Have you ever seen this? Originally it was a hugely successful TV series. It's about this boy who wants to go to the Andromeda system to get a machine body, so he can kill Count Mecha in revenge for his mother. So, together with the mysterious Maetel, he boards the Galaxy Express 999 (sree nine), a very modern spaceship disguised as an old steam train. Anyway, he meets lots of people on the train, amongst those also the sexiest space pirates (Captain Harlock and Emeraldas) and finally gets his revenge, but he's not content with that. He also wants to destroy the world where they give away machine bodies for free. That done (with the help of the sexy space pirates again), the movie ends sadly, because Maetel has to leave him. The movie is from the late 70s and there are other movies about all the characters in it, one is called "Arcadia of my Youth". Sexy space pirates rule!
I wish ...

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Wed Jan 28, 2004 1:42 pm

I saw this a long time ago, when I was a young boy in Japan, so it's hard for me to remember it all. Our intern, who has dubbed himself the "Frenchman" being as he is from France, has mentioned Captain Harlock more than a few times in the office, so I take it this was a big hit over there?

Chevalier

Post by Chevalier » Wed Jan 28, 2004 1:43 pm

Blah; I don’t have time for editing. Take the following for what it is.

It was in short all right. I liked the Harlock space opera gimmick, and Rintaro’s eye is not entirely terrible, even pretty good at times. I hated all the pretension the film carried as its baggage. It was as though the scriptwriter had just wanted to let everyone know he majored in humanities. It borrows so much, with so little care or thought that it made me laugh. I mean, come on, Aristocratic robot class? There are just endless things to poke fun of in that film; especially it’s hate of technology. I have this theory that Rintaro is a communist, what else could explain the Che! poster in Metropolis? (Che; there’s a joke)

shojogirl

But...but...but...

Post by shojogirl » Wed Jan 28, 2004 2:31 pm

sexy space pirates! I forgive almost everything for sexy space pirates. There aren't enough of them these days.

Sure, you can poke lots of fun at it, but I could do that with almost every movie I've ever seen. They did overdo the pain and dying thing (but that's nothing unusual), considering it is a movie about a TV series with a lot of episodes, they had to get all the important things crammed into one film. The fear of technology and the communism could be interpreted as a 70s thing. I've just never seen anything like it before and it was fun.
I wish ...

Stick
Flight Moderator

Post by Stick » Thu Jan 29, 2004 4:37 am

Kazu wrote:I saw this a long time ago, when I was a young boy in Japan, so it's hard for me to remember it all. Our intern, who has dubbed himself the "Frenchman" being as he is from France, has mentioned Captain Harlock more than a few times in the office, so I take it this was a big hit over there?
yeah, i believe captain harlock is big in france, especially when daft punk made those 4 music video's from their discovery album, and they used the same studio and creator of galaxy express to do the animation for the videos... amazing stuff.