Movies You've Seen Recently...

Discuss films.
jen

Post by jen » Tue May 17, 2005 11:46 pm

Save the Green Planet.

Let me tell you, this trailer does NOT prepare you for the rest of the film. I....I still don't know what to think of this film aside from the fact that I need to see it again. O_O

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Wed May 18, 2005 3:18 am

Oh wow. That looks crazy. It's at the top of my must-see list now. :shock:

agremar

Post by agremar » Wed May 18, 2005 8:58 am

I almost picked this movie up but passed for Born to Fight, by the makers of Ong Bak. Thanks for the trailer...I'll have to get this one.

Coheteboy

Post by Coheteboy » Wed May 18, 2005 4:03 pm

demetrius wrote:watched Emperor's New Groove last night with sister. I kinda scratched it off the list as a 'kiddie flick' when it first came out...
but...

the movie was hilarious. :-|
with the talk of Disney animators getting laid off, makes me wonder how many more (how long) animated movies of this nature will roll out of the Studios.but anyway. Emperor's New Groove. See it if you haven't! :D
I totally agree. I remember dismissing it at first because it wasn't an "epic" like all the previous disney films were trying to be. But watching it again, you can really just appreciate it for what it is: an entertaining and funny romp that's animated beautifully. I also love the jazzy/salsa score that John "Passion of the Christ" Debney wrote for it.

Definitely one of my now favorite movies.

I also bought the new Pocahontas DVD and I really really like this film. It was bashed pretty hard when it first came out for not being historically accurate or for not being as funny as Lion King, but this movie deals with a lot of powerful issues and is handled with grace and dignity. I'm also happy that they put back in one of my favorite disney ballads "If I Never Knew You" into the film.

Don't be fooled, this isn't like Lion King or Beauty and the Beast's new animated sequence that was shoe-horned in to sell more dvds. This song was meant to be in the final cut but was removed because kids got really antsy. They put it back in for the 10th anniversary and man, it is beautiful.
My name is Dave.

Joey

Post by Joey » Wed May 18, 2005 5:05 pm

jen wrote:Save the Green Planet.

Let me tell you, this trailer does NOT prepare you for the rest of the film. I....I still don't know what to think of this film aside from the fact that I need to see it again. O_O
Well, it's got my interest! Looks nuts!
Visit the Tragic Planet!

jawa

Post by jawa » Wed May 18, 2005 5:38 pm

Crap, no Dallas showings!

Mikie

Post by Mikie » Wed May 25, 2005 12:45 am

Layer Cake! Loved it. Very cool crime drama with a wonderful sense of humor. A little over directed in parts, but a very solid effort for a first time out.

The next X-Men film is definitally in good hands. :D

demetrius

eastwood

Post by demetrius » Wed May 25, 2005 9:59 am

"You see my mule don't like people laughing. He gets the crazy idea you're laughing at him. Now if you apologize like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it..."

Just watched Fistful of Dollars for like the second or third time....
One word description:
serious. :-|

On a lighter note:
Pocahontas is one I need to see.
Like Emperor's, I kinda wrote it off.
(Even moreso since I was a wee lad at the time)

Layer Cake.
saw the preview.
May put that one on the list as well. :D

Coheteboy

Post by Coheteboy » Wed May 25, 2005 2:50 pm

I saw a few:

KICKING & SCREAMING -- Maybe I expected too much, but what I saw wasn't that funny of a movie. But for a family film... it's not bad. I guess when it's rated PG, the jokes are really really tamed down, and Will Farrell ends up looking like a maniac. I just kinda sat there watching wanting to laugh but found nothing that allowed me to. I funniest stuff for me was the tiny little korean boy running around on the field.
Grade: 6/10

MILLIONS -- Actually a pretty decent flik about a boy who finds a TON of money and wants to give it to the poor. It's very interestingly shot (reminds me sometimes of Amelie) and has a neat soundtrack as well. Performances are well done though I wish the movie had subtitles!
Grade: 7/10
My name is Dave.

jawa

Post by jawa » Wed May 25, 2005 5:34 pm

I went to see this year's Animation Show a couple days ago and it was great. Incredible work, sometimes hilarious, most times odd, once or twice not so good, but overall a great showcase of animation talent. I'm surprised I havent seen anything about it here yet, unless I just missed it, which is entirely possible. Highlights include Guard Dog, Ward 13, Fallen Art, and the bizarre Meaning of Life from Mr. Don Hertzfeldt.

Donal

Post by Donal » Sat May 28, 2005 5:23 pm

Finding Neverland. Awesome movie. Made me cry near the end and Dustin Hoffman was hillarious in his role. His chemistry/timing with Depp was great.

I [heart] Huckabees.
Cool movie. I enjoyed it but think it's most definitely overrated. Maybe I'm just refusing to look too deeply into it, but there is nothing really special about this film that screams "award!" It's as if it was given praise because no one knows what to think, because it's so confusing to itself. Wahlberg and Law were excellent.

Ong Bak. Holy shit! Just knowing the main actor did his own stunts makes it more enjoyable, and the first (real) fight (where he doesn't kill someone with one hit) was intense.

Revenge Of The Sith. Yoda was a little badass, and I loved his scenes, but for me, not being a SW fan the movie didn't start getting good until Anakin pledged the dark side and became Darth Vader. Everything after that was great. I'm kinda glad the series is over. I'd like to see what Lucas can do now that his resources/imagination isn't controlled.
D.
The Myopic Malcontent.
Deviant Art Site.
Crawl before you walk.
http://www.sketchcrawl.com

demetrius

Post by demetrius » Sun May 29, 2005 2:18 pm

just saw Shaolin Soccer :lol:
(a little late)
beautiful

Madagascar was...ok.
I probably own't rush to see it again.
At times, it looked as though they tried to hard (with animation and with the gags). The styled look of the animals was awesome.
The movie partially lost my interest every now and then, but it was...ok.
The penguins, the monkeys, and the 'drink' scene were a little redeeming. :D

Kingdom of Heaven was better than I expected (even with questionable details).
The actors did their thing and I could relate more to Bloom's character in this one. Sure there were a few typical action/drama scenes and lines, but overall, this was a good movie.
(had me thinking about similarities of then and now)
I guess I can say this is worth watching.

Joe Shig

Post by Joe Shig » Sun May 29, 2005 4:03 pm

Donal wrote:I'd like to see what Lucas can do now that his resources/imagination isn't controlled.
Me too!
--Joe.

Phil

Post by Phil » Wed Jun 01, 2005 2:04 pm

Kazu wrote:I saw In Good Company on my flight home...
... from Mississippi, and I also thought it was excellent. Kazu nailed all the good points.
This is one of those films that lacks the crucial moment/s of stupidity that often ruin a potentially great movie. Everything stays on target, on course, and authentic. No cheap gags, just solid character-based comedy and drama. Consistent.
I think I'll pick up the DVD... :D

Jason

Post by Jason » Thu Jun 02, 2005 2:15 am

My roommate and I just finished watching God of Cookery, one of Stephen Chow's earlier films. Not quite as absurdly cartoonish as Shaolin Soccer or Kung Fu Hustle, but it was still really funny.
i heard rumors, he was into
http://jae.imperialotter.com/