Lilo and Stich

Discuss films.
douglas a. bot

Post by douglas a. bot » Thu Jan 15, 2004 2:20 pm

There is also a disney studio in australia. This studio is in charge of the features sequels. They made lion king 2, little mermeid 2, 101 dalmatians 2, mogli 2, and the most recent was peter pan 2 which was released in the theatres. They are probabily doing lilo and stitch 2, i guess.
Yep...thats the one, I have a couple of friends who work there doing backgrounds and in betweens.
Like I said before they have actually made a Stitch movie straight to video (which is on sale now i believe)...but like most of these lower budget sequels, it's really far removed from the originals story and animation wise. (A lot of them are just based on songs...like Pumba and Timons sweatin to the oldies funtime...or something).
They don't even get the original voice cast in for most of them. So they are essentially just a lesser product rushed out to make more sales of the back of the original.

I think if Disney wants to revive it's 2D studio...which i doubt...but you know...this is just an idea. They should start investing money in making little 3-5 minute short films that play before all main features at the cinema (both animated and live action features). Remember how they used to do that? Why don't they do that anymore? Thats what went wrong with Looney Tunes. They went from 5 minute short comedy perfection...to one and a half hour "lets cram as many products in here as we can" drudgery.

d.

Stick
Flight Moderator

Post by Stick » Thu Jan 15, 2004 2:26 pm

you're 100% percent right... if disney can invest time and money into movies like The Lion King, Lilo and Stitch, etc.. why in the WORLD can't they invest that same time and money into the sequels?? They deserve this back run of luck in my opinion.

Does anyone know of Disney's next project? or is Pixar going to do all the work again?

douglas a. bot

Post by douglas a. bot » Thu Jan 15, 2004 3:22 pm

Disney's next animated feature project to be released is Home On The Range i think.
It actually looks okay...takes a lot of style influence from old Chuck Jones WB cartoons. So at least it looks good.
preview here - http://www.apple.com/trailers/disney/homeontherange/

peppermint

Post by peppermint » Thu Jan 15, 2004 7:18 pm

disney has a habit of pulling a movie from dvd sales and rereleasing it at a later date.. is lilo and stich still available for sale in stores? and i was also wondering... is the Iron Giant still available for sale on dvd?
in the regular stores i dont know , thought i think you can buy it in any good online store.
Yes i bought mine iron giant in a internet online store. sometimes you can find old titles. i still wants to buy cats dont dance for example but i dont find anywhere.
They should start investing money in making little 3-5 minute short films that play before all main features at the cinema (both animated and live action features).
agreed!

japan features like spirited away and mononoke are hits, i think they both explore animation itself more than that just a regular disney movie. It´s different and challenging.
there is a lot of things that can be done.
but it hard to be disney, disney has to think that they convice everyones parents that their children will be "good educated" or something.
Originality and good politics sometimes don´t walk in the same way.
Disney's next animated feature project to be released is Home On The Range i think.
It actually looks okay...takes a lot of style influence from old Chuck Jones WB cartoons. So at least it looks good.
yep it looks good! :D

Johnny Neat

Oh Disney where has the magic gone?

Post by Johnny Neat » Thu Jan 15, 2004 9:57 pm

Disney, poor Disney. They have lost it bigtime. But on the bright side I saw the trailer for "Home on the range" and I loved it. That's good stuff. The jokes had some punch, but the fear is that I saw all the good stuff already in the trailer. I loved Rico. The fly catching gag was it. It does remind me of the good old WB Looney Toon cartoons and humor. Chuck Jones maybe, but for me it was more watered down Fredrick Bean "Tex" Avery (Cartoon Slapstick Genius by the way)

Last note for everyone, just chill for the release of the Iron Giant, it's late (should have been out in NOV) but it's coming (I'm dying from the wait too). I just hope they release a two disk SE of Lilo and Stitch soon.
Visit the GK Movie Watch Blog at www.Galaxykid.blogspot.com

Johnny Neat

Oh and sequals

Post by Johnny Neat » Thu Jan 15, 2004 10:00 pm

As far as Disney's straight to video sequals go. They suck. I've always felt insulted by their weak act of trying to milk good and even not so good movies with crappy sequals on video/dvd. All I can say is at least get the people who worked on them including voices... Sheeesh!
Visit the GK Movie Watch Blog at www.Galaxykid.blogspot.com

Shama Lama

Post by Shama Lama » Tue Jan 20, 2004 9:07 pm

(cue intro music) Toys R Us Guy to the rescue!
Lilo & Stitch is still on market with no plans for a stock pull soon. But there are rumours of a Special Edition in May.

Sleeping Beauty, Fantasia, and Fantasia 2000 (as well as a couple of straight to tape Disney sequels) are being pulled January 31.

Iron Giant IS available on DVD but it's not the greatest transfer and has no special features of note. But, there is a Special Edition that has been completed (and has been released in Korea) with a possible release in mid 2004 for North America. It is a Brad Bird Film so the hopes are that it will come out with the release of The Incredibles (Brad Bird yet again). Plus the special features are awesome.

Alice in Wonderland is out as a Masterpiece Edition January 27.
Alladin is being rereleased in October.

I hope this whets some appetites. Toys R Us Guy away! (cue end theme)

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Tue Jan 20, 2004 9:09 pm

Thanks for the info, Shama Lama. :D

Phil

Post by Phil » Wed Jan 21, 2004 1:04 am

Shamoo Lampoon - Yeah, thanks for the cool facts! You mean Aladdin will be rereleased in theaters, or on video, with a new DVD release?

Oh, theater release, please! I'd love to see the last classic Disney toon starring humans on the big screen again.

Shama Lama

Post by Shama Lama » Wed Jan 21, 2004 11:49 am

As far as this peon of the TRU knows, Alladin is only being rereleased on DVD. But theatre would be pretty sweet.