mars and Beyond - Ward Kimball

Discuss films.
Sweet_Baboo

mars and Beyond - Ward Kimball

Post by Sweet_Baboo » Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:20 pm

this is sort of a addition to an old thread, but i wanted to talk about "Mars and Beyond" by Ward Kimball and was surprised that no one mentioned it in the "Animation Show" thread
was it not part of your "the Animation Show"? (I saw mine in SF)

If somehow it wasn't part of that animation show - it's so amazing!!!

"In the late 1950s, Walt Disney gave Ward Kimball the task of producing and directing a series of "science-factual" color shorts about space for the "Disneyland" television series. The resulting films were widely credited with sparking public interest in America's space program. The first episode, Man in Space, a 33-minute short that combined animation and live action, aired March 9, 1955, and was watched by an estimated 42 million people. It was followed by the 20-minute Tomorrow the Moon on December 28, 1955 and the 30-minute Mars and Beyond on December 4, 1957 (shortly after Sputnik I). Mars and Beyond was released theatrically in 1957 and has not been seen on the big screen since. " from http://www.animationshow.com/films/mars.html

The animation's on the "Walt Disney Treasures - Tomorrowland" DVD's. (I still need to get a hold of this - came out in december)

This animation blew my mind.

Johnny Neat

Interesting but,

Post by Johnny Neat » Tue Jan 13, 2004 5:21 pm

So how can I see this stuff? Is it on dvd, art house theatres, or in limbo?
Visit the GK Movie Watch Blog at www.Galaxykid.blogspot.com

peppermint

Post by peppermint » Tue Jan 13, 2004 7:08 pm

never heard of it, but i do hope to see it soon as i can. looks very good.
Last edited by peppermint on Wed Jan 14, 2004 3:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sweet_Baboo

Post by Sweet_Baboo » Tue Jan 13, 2004 9:38 pm

hmm - to see this animation - like i said, you'll have to get a hold of the "Tomorrowland" DVD's.

I know they have it at amazon and stuff. I've been trying to rent it through a NetFlicks type thing online but it seems like it's in high demand, it hasn't gotten to my turn yet.

it's really cool, because this is from the 1950's, when they still had high hopes for life on mars. It's funny that they called it "science-factual" - they're definately freakin' creative.

some are silicone based and form like a crystal.
some are plants that catch pray by using soundwaves.
some are insects with scroll like wings, since there's less gravity on mars.

i mean, it's hard to describe and i only saw it that once, but totally radical.

Joel

Post by Joel » Tue Jan 13, 2004 11:03 pm

I waited for YEARS to see any of those shorts, and was really the sole reason I went to go see the Animation Show.

I was especially amazed to see effects and textures rarely seen or used today....which is really sad.

The DVDs that have all of these shorts supposedly was bumped "again", but probably available by April of this year....woowoo

dik pose

Post by dik pose » Tue Jan 13, 2004 11:58 pm

I saw this in the Animation Show too, it was just such a TRIP!! Crazy style, very weird and cool. It blew my mind.

neil

Post by neil » Wed Jan 14, 2004 3:44 am

I thought I mentioned it? Maybe I didn't. Yeah it was really great.. I like the creature that kills its prey by focusing sunlight, like a magnifying glass. The very factual-sounding narrator added an interesting layer to it as well.

Johnny Neat

Curious and jealous

Post by Johnny Neat » Wed Jan 14, 2004 7:11 am

I'm so interested now in this film that I'm as curious as coon and as jealous as a schoolgirl that I never got to see it or ever heard of it. Mars... so many story ideas later and still a marvel of our imagination.
Visit the GK Movie Watch Blog at www.Galaxykid.blogspot.com

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Thu Jan 15, 2004 2:39 am

I loved the short excerpt in the animation show as well. In fact, it gets better on repeat viewings. The stuff is so over-the-top, I found myself laughing with the madness. Hehe. Don's films almost made me implode from laughter...