12 Monkeys

Discuss films.
douglas a. bot

12 Monkeys

Post by douglas a. bot » Mon Jan 12, 2004 2:23 pm

I watched 12 Monkeys yesterday for the first time since i first saw it at the cinema. And was reminded just how good it was.
Terry Gilliam i think is one of the most visually stunning directors working today. Such a strong vision of the future, all clockwork plastic and filth, rusting steel and steam. Fantastic.
Bruce Willis at his best, totally underated actor for sure in my book...especially at the time this was made.
Brad Pitt...busting his chops and proving he isn't just the sexiest man in the world...he's also an incredibly diverse actor. And yes...this was BEFORE 'Se7en' showed the world that.
And just a great little time split story. My only beef was that at the end it was all confirmed as real...but i also dug that the whole film looped and folded on itself.
Very tops.

d.

SonOfaRich

Post by SonOfaRich » Mon Jan 12, 2004 2:34 pm

Just wondering if you know it's based off Chris Marker's French short film, "La Jetee"? If you haven't seen it, go check it out. I think it's on one of the DVDs. The film is made up entirely of photographs except for one shot.

douglas a. bot

Post by douglas a. bot » Mon Jan 12, 2004 2:42 pm

I did indeed know that. Though it's more inspired by than based on.
I should track it down.

regards,
d.

Chevalier

Post by Chevalier » Mon Jan 12, 2004 3:01 pm

I agree with you in full here. 12 Monkeys is an amazing film, especially visually. These are the most surreal and depressing images of a post-apocalyptic world I've seen in film. Even the impressive cgi of 'A.I.' water world New York lack this atmosphere. Also, don't get me wrong, I really love Lynch. He's great, I cried when I saw Mulholland Drive; but Gilliam totally beat him out on this whole mobius strip plot idea.

You also can't go wrong with a bare ass of Brad Pitt. And Bruce Willis? My favorite Republican Actor. Really, Bruce Willis for president! Just imagine what the state of the union address would be like.

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Mon Jan 12, 2004 3:38 pm

I really enjoy this film, too. Douglas, you should definitely see La Jetee. It's an incredible, haunting film. Chris Marker's Sans Soleil is also a very interesting piece that i recommend highly.

I love Gilliam's work. He's one of the few visionary directors working today that has great imagination.

Chevalier

Post by Chevalier » Mon Jan 12, 2004 3:49 pm

Anyone else disappointed at the scrapping of the Don Quixote project that Gilliam was working on? There’s a new documentary about the entire process, from what I’ve read it was no less than a whole fury of the gods that brought the production down. Really sad;

Gilliam just wrapped up ‘Brother Grimm’ with Matt Daemon, which looks just too good to be true. I hope it’s going to be as good as I think it can be. He’s working on Pratchett’s ‘Good Omens’, which I’ve read a while ago; it’s fun.

SonOfaRich

Post by SonOfaRich » Mon Jan 12, 2004 5:18 pm

"Lost in La Mancha" is already out on DVD! I'm looking forward to seeing how far Gilliam got to finishing this project.

I also heard there were similar problems for "Brazil". But thank goodness he got that one made. His most brilliant film yet.

Johnny Neat

Terry the man

Post by Johnny Neat » Mon Jan 12, 2004 5:24 pm

Gilliam is the man. Time Bandits is a childhood movie that everytime brings me to chill on the couch, covered in my banket, with some icecream, and remember feeling as if I was as I did when I was small. Oh and for the grown up, and Depp, Del Torro, and Hunter Thompson fan that I am, I watch Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas. Check these two flicks if you haven't peeps. You owe it to yourself. terry needs to get Don Q back on track. Oh and Bros Grimm would be sweet.

P.s. Time Bandits is out on one of the rarest and crappiest Criterian Editions and the usual crap first offering dvd, but smile because a new Special Edition that is expected to knock the pants off of them both is coming. Thank the entertainment junky gods. And Fear and Loathing is on a crappy first print dvd as well as a badass Criterion Edition that I recommend. I know this because I own both Fear and Loathings. This happened to me when I was a rookie dvd purchaser. Never buy (unless you can't wait) a first edition dvd offerering, unless you research that it is the last of its kind (meaning everything that can be added is). Everyone who knows dvds knows they sucker you in and then burn you in a six to a year run, with the ultimate double disk version of a fave movie. I hate movie companies for this.
Visit the GK Movie Watch Blog at www.Galaxykid.blogspot.com

Johnny Neat

Brazil... not sure

Post by Johnny Neat » Mon Jan 12, 2004 5:26 pm

I need a Brazil special Edition, because I saw the Studio one and I couldn't get the love story. It is so weak that she would love this guy. I am sure the SE Director's Cut dvd will answer my problems. Terry is a master regardless.

RobotHero

Post by RobotHero » Tue Jan 13, 2004 11:27 pm

I saw Lost in La Mancha in the theatre in the fall. It's fascinating stuff.

From what I understand, most of the trouble with Brazil was that Gilliam had to fight the studio, while his troubles with The Man Who Killed Don Quixote, were more like the fates conspiring against him.

Johnny Neat

Lost in La Mancha

Post by Johnny Neat » Wed Jan 14, 2004 7:43 am

Yeah Lost in La Mancha showed the gods hating on this new Don Quixote project. Orson Wells couldn't get his made either. I have to see that dvd Lost in La Mancha. Now Brazil was just to weak on the goodie good love story. It was weak in the normal version. I'm just hoping it gets corrected in the Directors Cut SE dvd. If not, I couldn't agree with a lot of peeps' views of how great it is. I am in no way saying anything bad of Terry G. After all, even if he had only done just Time Bandits, I would still say he was the bomb. Plus he loves Johnny Depp as an actor and considers Watchman as a true masterpiece to grand for the usual film treatment (Extra Bonus).

Kean
Site Admin

Post by Kean » Wed Jan 14, 2004 11:09 am

I don't want to burst your bubble, but if you saw Brazil in the past decade or so, odds are you've already seen the "uncut" version.

Two versions were produced -- the International cut, which basically left the entire film intact as Gilliam intended it, and the second domestic US version (the "Love Conquers All" version). Both versions had Jill falling in love with Sam (in some form or another).

An easy way to tell which version you've seen is the running time. The "Love Conquers All" version is only 90 minutes long, while the International cut of Brazil is just over two hours. I'm pretty sure that the domestic version has been all but eliminated in video stores these days -- I never saw that version until I picked up the boxed set.

Gilliam makes some great looking films (12 Monkeys included), but there usually isn't too much depth to his films. Great to look at, but not much more draws me back to watch his movies again.

neil

Post by neil » Wed Jan 14, 2004 2:40 pm

Terry Gilliam is pretty mediocre. "Brazil" is one of those movies that's fascinating when you're still a kid I guess. I saw it relatively recently and was pretty underwhelmed. I do conceed that "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" is pretty awesome though. And I would have liked to have seen "The Man who Killed Don Quixote," but oh well. I haven't seen "Time Bandits."

Chris Marker on the other hand.. Totally amazing.

Johnny Neat

Brazil argh

Post by Johnny Neat » Wed Jan 14, 2004 3:17 pm

Brazil is that movie you hear about, but never see. Till one day out of the blue a friend mentions it and it leaves you having to see it. If not to like it, then to at least see why they love it so much. If you end up hating it at least you have ammo for discussion. Now as for what Brazil has to do with this point is that it is also a weird example because it has to versions floating around and I think I got the crap non director's cut version. This will now make it hard to argue my point for why I don't like it till I see the DC Edition.

Kean
Terry Gilliam's movies always leave me needing or wanting more to see what he may have seen in his worlds, but I always for the most part enjoy them anyhow.

Neil
"Time Bandits" to me is a piece of inventive childhood movie magic. I loved the subtle humor even as a child. I love midgets sorry, and I love god vs the devil arguments, and scifi and adventure flicks. I recently lent it to a friend and he didn't like it even though he loves Terry G movies and fantasy. I felt that was weird, but I'm guessing from what my girlfriend has told me that it's good when you're a kid but not as good after. But hey, she might be wrong. Since she added The Wizard of OZ in that statement and she loves musicals.

One last note: Johnny Depp has mentioned as has Terry, that they could still make the movie Don Q. Since Johnny is riding a wave of success with Pirates he could have investors in in no time. Terry has secured the rights for the flick, but needs the funds. All I have to say is good luck to them against the Don Q curse.