Punch-Drunk Love

Discuss films.
Kazu
Site Admin

Punch-Drunk Love

Post by Kazu » Sun Jan 11, 2004 1:41 am

I love this film endlessly. I can watch it on a loop for days and be overjoyed. In many aspects it is a perfect little film. While I am not the biggest fan of Magnolia, it has been pretty evident that Paul Thomas Anderson is one of the brightest directors of his generation, and I feel that Punch-Drunk Love was a breakthrough film for him. With just the right amount of restraint to keep the film from getting bloated (as Magnolia and Boogie Nights tended to do), Punch-Drunk Love is a wonderful exercise in style that has a rhythm to it that's infectious. I feel the same way about this film as I do about Wong Kar-Wai films.

Phil McAndrew

Post by Phil McAndrew » Sun Jan 11, 2004 1:52 am

i NEED to rent this again. i rented it once and was blown away.

Johnny Neat

Loved it

Post by Johnny Neat » Sun Jan 11, 2004 2:03 am

Dude,

I loved that flick. The director P.T. Anderson is gifted. It also showed that Adam Sandler could act. I am not a big fan of adam's little other flicks. Though my friend has told me to check out his cartoon for the animation. Since it was made by the Iron Giant team. Magnolia and Boogie Nights are damn good. Having Tom act that good is a treat and I am not taking away from Tommy cause he's good in my mind. Boogie Nights made Markie Mark a real star. Okay so he sucks now, who knew lol. He had the Basketball Diaries, Fear, and The Big Hit going for him. That is until he did Apes to name a big and growing list of crappy flicks. But back to Anderson, he's a part of a growing camp of young directors that are gonna get bigger then they are. David Fincher, Wes Anderson, Sofia Coppola, Spike Jones, Jonas Akerlund, Darren Aronofsky, and Christopher Nolan. As far as movies that I watched to much lately, I will say I have watched Fight Club, Rushmore, The Royal Tenenbaums, and Spun on repeat. Hey what do you think of that new Jim Carrey flick Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind? Looks to weird to not like and Charlie Kaufman wrote it.
Visit the GK Movie Watch Blog at www.Galaxykid.blogspot.com

Phil McAndrew

Post by Phil McAndrew » Sun Jan 11, 2004 2:33 am

Fight Club, Rushmore, The Royal Tenenbaums
i love all three of these flicks, particularly the royal tenenbaums.

Johnny Neat

2 good

Post by Johnny Neat » Sun Jan 11, 2004 2:53 am

They are just to good. Have you seen Adaptation or Lost in Translation?

Phil McAndrew

Post by Phil McAndrew » Sun Jan 11, 2004 3:32 am

sadly, no. i am way behind on current movies. wayyyyy behind.

dik pose

Post by dik pose » Mon Jan 12, 2004 4:47 am

I only saw this in the theater, but I loved it. Great movie. I need to watch it again, and hopefully I can do that sooner than later.

Johnny Neat

Alot of great movies of late have gone underrated

Post by Johnny Neat » Mon Jan 12, 2004 10:17 am

There have been some great movies that go without true hype, because they are deemed low budget or not mainstream enough, and that is so lame of Hollywood. The Royal Tenenbaums and Rushmore are two good examples. I don't want to even mention Bottle Rockets Kazu, because they got zilch for that one. I was only a tad bit shocked with Lost in Translation getting that much hype, because it is nothing that Hollywood can really brag about by their crappy standards. On the other hand it has Coppola backing. So it should have been obvious. Now, Bill Murray is one to watch though. He is always been fun to watch as far as I'm concerned. Hey guys, who out their liked SPUN? I know it's not a 100% repeat watch, but I have to mention it for my boy Mickey Rourke who rocks it.

P.s. I'm one for Citizen Kane being the greatest movie in American Film for sure.