In The Mood For Love

Discuss films.
Kazu
Site Admin

In The Mood For Love

Post by Kazu » Tue Jan 06, 2004 12:30 am

How could I not post this film? The one that cemented Wong Kar Wai, who was already my favorite contemporary director, as one of the all-time greats. The best directors can take what at first looks like so little and turn it into cinematic gold ((Tarantino and Miyazaki are two directors that also come to mind). In the Mood for Love is filled with so many of my favorite moments in cinema that it plays like a top hits record. From the shots of the fan in the sweltering heat while listening to the saturated rhythms of the waltz on the film's soundtrack, to the quiet, harshly lit shot of Tony Leung smoking under flourescent light in a dark room, to the shot of him standing, almost frozen in time in the red hallway of the hotel near the end of the film, this film makes my brain melt every time I watch it. It feels as though so much is happening in shots where apparently nothing is. A masterful film.

Kean
Site Admin

Post by Kean » Tue Jan 06, 2004 1:03 am

Kazu, I knew if I didn't start up this thread, that somebody else would... but first, a digression:

I remember in 1994 being dragged to (what we thought at the time was) a silly romantic comedy playing in theatres called Chungking Express. This girl I kinda sorta had a crush on in high school wanted to see this movie, and how could I say no to that? While I didn't really get into the first half of that movie, the second half had me absolutely riveted. To make a long story short, that girl thought the movie was absolutely terrible, but I wouldn't shut up about it after it was over. Not surprisingly, nothing ever became of that girl, but it didn't take me much to find the rest of Wong Kar Wai's films.

And back to In The Mood For Love -- I absolutely loved, loved, loved this movie. Gone is wkw's fascination with unnecessarily convoluted narratives and experimentation which I felt really obscured what he was really capable of. And in this simple little story, it all pays off in spades. Simply one of the best movies I've ever seen. I've never been made more aware of the spaces between objects & the camera, and between the actors themselves than in this film.

This is one movie that I would have loved to have seen on the big screen. I paid far too much for the Criterion DVD at the time, but it's simply fascinating to watch all the improv footage. From that footage alone, it's pretty clear that this movie really came together in the editing room.

SonOfaRich

Post by SonOfaRich » Tue Jan 06, 2004 11:57 am

Great film. I am anxious to watch this again. I wonder if anyone will trade me my Hong Kong DVD version for the Criterion version. :P

Anyone hear anything about "2046", wong kar wai's next film?

http://www.wongkarwai.net/

http://www.monkeypeaches.com/

Chevalier

Post by Chevalier » Tue Jan 06, 2004 12:02 pm

2046 has been put on the back-burner again. Rumors are that there are a few weeks left into primary shooting, they're just about wrapping up in the mainland, to return to HK. Anyway, reason for the delay is a short project for Antonionni (for whom I've never really cared for).Also, the post-production work - cgi, special effects, processing and all that could take longer than the shooting. So, expect the title of the film to also be it's likely release date.

neil

Post by neil » Tue Jan 06, 2004 11:02 pm

Name that artist!

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Tue Jan 06, 2004 11:16 pm

too easy. Schulz, right?

(you left Tomine's signature in there...) :wink:

neil

Post by neil » Sat Jan 10, 2004 10:01 am

d'oh! cheater.

Stick
Flight Moderator

Post by Stick » Sat Jan 10, 2004 1:02 pm

ya know Neil, that's not a bad idea... you could make a thread in the Hotel, and put a few pics and try and see how many people could guess (name of the author who did it)... I'm actually curious seeing how most of the members here are actual artists, as a non-contributor, i'd be damm curious to know how well everyone knows their "shit".. :)

of course, removing their name would be a good idea too.. :)

hehe.

Finnegan

Post by Finnegan » Thu Feb 19, 2004 4:29 am

i actually just picked this up on dvd the other night on a whim. I was floored by this film! it was amazing. i love the use of offscreen space, making us feel almost voyeuristic the whole time. the color pallette was magnificent.

this was my very first introdustion to WKW, and i must say, that i am rabid to find more of his work on dvd. In the mood for love is a masterpiece.

=BoB=