The Art Of Watching Films

Discuss films.
John

The Art Of Watching Films

Post by John » Sun Jan 04, 2004 7:14 pm

Hello everyone. My name is John and I'm new to the forum, but I've been poking my head in here since its creation.

I've got a question for all who wish to respond: What was your best movie-viewing experience? Or what was your worst?

It's been said many times that a big part of what makes movies so special is the experience of viewing them. It's hard sometimes to seperate the two (the movie and the viewing); I know a lot of my opinions about particular movies stem from the expeience of viewing them.

Have you ever been sucked into liking a movie that stunk, just because the people around you liked it? Or how about the reverse? Ever start hating a masterpiece because your friend(s) thought it was stupid?

John

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Mon Jan 05, 2004 11:49 am

Hello, John. I don't have a favorite movie-going experience, but I always love seeing a film with an audience that that wants the film to be good. Much like the way an audience acts when watching a live performance. You just don't want the performers to screw up, since it can tend to be kinda embarrassing. That said, I also love seeing films I have low expectations for.

Recent screenings I enjoyed: The Ring's American remake (the audience really got into it), Finding Nemo (exactly the kind of film I wanted to see at the time), My third time watching Kill Bill vol. 1 (probably because Tarantino was at the screening. He talked for longer than the length of the film after the show, and was thoroughly entertaining).

SonOfaRich

Post by SonOfaRich » Mon Jan 05, 2004 12:19 pm

My best movie going experience is whenever I watch a film at the Mann's Chinese Theater (or what I like to say sometimes The Chinese Mann's Theater). The sound system is incredible in that theater. I feel like there's a speaker and subwoofer around every inch of the theater. The sound is so good it makes my ear tickle.

As for my worst experience, it would have been the time I went to the Milpitas Century Theater in the Great Mall. We watched THE OTHERS and the crowd and theater completely ruined the movie for me. There were junior high and high school kids running up and down the stairs. Kids coming into the movie late and making all sorts of noise. Skipping frames in the projection. We even loss all bass at one point. I tried my best to focus on the film, which was an incredible test of my patience. I really don't think it can get much worse than that. (unless maybe a fire broke out or a riot)

And then there was the time when the power went out while watching THE MATRIX during the scene when Neo said "We need guns. Lots of guns".

Stick
Flight Moderator

Post by Stick » Mon Jan 05, 2004 12:41 pm

watching a movie in an indian theatre is probally as low as you can get.

try it one day. i insist. :)

SonOfaRich

Post by SonOfaRich » Mon Jan 05, 2004 12:49 pm

Indian theater? You mean a theater in India? Or are there Indian Theaters here in California?

dik pose

Post by dik pose » Mon Jan 05, 2004 12:50 pm

I saw an advance screening of Shrek and the crowd was soo into it, I thought the movie was the funniest thing. Then I watched it again and didnt like it at all, so that was a time the audience influenced me.

Kazu, I was at the Tartantino event at the Egyptian theater right?! Tarantino's talk was GREAT. That was a fun night.

Stick
Flight Moderator

Post by Stick » Mon Jan 05, 2004 1:25 pm

SonOfaRich wrote:Indian theater? You mean a theater in India? Or are there Indian Theaters here in California?
i mean theatres in india.

they stink. literally.

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Mon Jan 05, 2004 1:31 pm

Richard > Actually, it was the screening at the Director's Guild. Although, I was recently at the Lost in Translation screening at the Egyptian with Bill Murray and Sofia Coppola in attendance. Bill Murray was hilarious! The Egyptian Theatre and the American Cinematheque are a couple of reasons I love living in LA.

And Tarantino is just such a great speaker. When he talks, I turn into a giddy little kid and am reminded of why I'm in this industry to begin with. Hehe. I feel the same way when I hear Brad Bird speak. Those guys are simply awesome.

Kean
Site Admin

Post by Kean » Mon Jan 05, 2004 2:00 pm

Best movie experience for me was walking into the Uptown theatre for the first time ever (I'm talking about the one in Toronto, on Yonge and Bloor here). It was an old stage theatre that was converted into a movie cinema, but they retained all the key elements -- the grand chandeliers, the mouldings, wallpaper... I always loved sitting up in the front row, and putting my feet up on the stage (the screen was essentially behind the stage). I saw far too many movies there to count. It was also one of the few THX-certified theatres back in the day before the massive multiplexes that seem to be everywhere today.

Also catching the very last show at the Uptown was a great experience, a really enjoyable Midnight Madness feature as part of the Toronto Film Fest of an Aussie zombie flick called Undead. The crowd was howling and totally into the movie (I don't think I've laughed harder at a zombie getting a shovel jammed into his head, or at people being attacked by zombie fish).

Alas, the theatre was torn down just over a month ago, and to make matters worse, the construction chumps didn't do a proper job, and a wall of the theatre collapsed into the neighbouring building, killing one person and injuring a handful of others, which really sucked.

So yeah, probably my best and worst moviegoing experiences can be attributed to one theatre, and one theatre only.

douglas a. bot

Post by douglas a. bot » Mon Jan 05, 2004 5:39 pm

I wrote a really long reply...and then it got deleted by technology FAILING!!
Essentially it was involving an ex girlfriend, a matchmaker and being forced to watch the Bodyguard when i wanted to see Last Of The Mohicans.
ex girlfriends bursting into tears halfway through the film and running out for unknown reasons and matchmakers hissing at you that it's all your fault.
Terrifying and the worst movie experience ever...(Though in hindsight she could have been upset that she just payed $10 to see a really really shit film).
The moral is never date girls in your social circle at High School.
And when someone says your seeing a whitney houston/kevin costner romantic drama...tell them to fuck off.

I'm off to see Return Of The King Tonight...hooray!!

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Mon Jan 05, 2004 5:55 pm

So, it turns out John is actually my good friend John Bitterolf! Hehe. Wasn't sure if it was you, man... Great to have you hanging out here. I love the avatar!

Kean
Site Admin

Post by Kean » Mon Jan 05, 2004 11:20 pm

douglas a. bot wrote:The moral is never date girls in your social circle at High School.
Well, duh. But I'll be darned if it don't make for some good melodrama. Who needs movies when you're a teenager and all your problems (puberty, zits, dances) seem like they're world crises?