Vertigo

Discuss films.
Kean
Site Admin

Vertigo

Post by Kean » Sat Jan 03, 2004 12:11 am

Verily, Vertigo still stands up as one of my favourite films. Got round to watching the DVD this evening, and the restored print looks absolutely fantastic. The use of colour in some scenes (mostly the greens and reds) still blows me away every time I see this movie. And everything is just so... cinematic. It's definitely the master's masterpiece, although I'll always have a special place in my heart for Rear Window and Notorious.

Or maybe I just enjoy this movie so much because I can associate closely with Scottie (Jimmy Stewart) and Hitchcock's obsessive personalities...

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Sat Jan 03, 2004 4:10 am

Excellent film. A tad on the slow side, even for a Hitchcock film, but still one of the most haunting psychological thrillers ever made. I also think it is his most visually stunning work.

I also love Rear Window, and I don't think you're alone in identifying with Jimmy Stewart in that film. As any film theory book will tell you, it is the quintessential representation of voyeurism in film. It is the act of watching films. He even uses photographic equipment as a physical weapon to defend himself against Perry Mason's character!

douglas a. bot

Post by douglas a. bot » Sat Jan 03, 2004 5:04 am

Rear Window...is my favourite Hitchcock...along with Psycho.
I just love his use of sound in Rear Window that highlights even more so that it's such an odd claustrophobic film, yet really quite cinematic at the same time.
The whole film is shot in the one room...contrasting with the space between the buildings and then the closed in view of all the little pigeon hole apartments again. The fact he can't move...just adds to it...and the sound...i love how it has this odd tinny echo to it.
I can watch it over and over.

One thing i really can't relate to with Jimmy's character though is...
Grace Kelly...Grace Kelly...is kissing you Jimmy. She wants to take you to bed Jimmy...GRACE KELLY!! She. Wants. You!
And all you can think about is something that may or may not have happened through your camera lense...Jimmy PLEASE!! PLEASE!! It's the most beautiful woman in the world...and your worried about some overweight schlub who smokes and goes out late at night....PLEASE!! CAN'T YOU JUST LIVE JIMMY!!

*sigh*...

great film.

d.

GRACE KELLY!!!!!

Kean
Site Admin

Post by Kean » Sat Jan 03, 2004 10:10 am

I agree. Let us all take a moment and bask in the glow that is Grace Kelly.

Chevalier

Post by Chevalier » Sat Jan 03, 2004 2:37 pm

My favorite Hitchcock film would have to be 'Strangers on a Train'. I think the material there was really ahead of it's time. The subtle homoeroticism, psychopathic Bruno, inventive plotting in a story that does not limit itself on pure good or evil. But praise for Hitchcock is really extended at being brave enough at the time to turn Highsmith’s first (if you exclude the pseudonyms) novel into a film. It’s just a shame he was such a cheap bastard, anonymously buying the rights for only $7,500. :roll:

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Sat Jan 03, 2004 4:24 pm

Ah, Strangers on a Train is also my favorite Hitchcock film. It's so lean and simple. The compositions in this film are outstanding, and every element seems to add to the suspense. I'm glad you brought it up, Chevalier. I love this film!

Phil McAndrew

Post by Phil McAndrew » Sat Jan 03, 2004 10:10 pm

i love rear window! it's very high on my list of favorites.

i have always been a huge fan of vertigo as well. it is indeed the master's masterpiece, keen. :D