Uh oh. Toy Story 3 in the works.

Discuss films.
SonOfaRich

Uh oh. Toy Story 3 in the works.

Post by SonOfaRich » Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:16 pm

Intergalactic proton powered electrical tentacle advertising droids!!!!!

VC

Post by VC » Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:30 pm

I'm disappointed. You can tell from the article that it won't be the same. I was happy with Pixar's sequel to Toy Story, but a third one would be pushing it even if the same people were doing it again.

And, in my personal opinion, Disney does all-around crappy sequels.
oh yeah, plug: http://hereishere.com

Coheteboy

Post by Coheteboy » Tue Nov 16, 2004 1:05 pm

Yah and that David Stainton guy, who is now in charge of Disney Animation... he's basically the devil. Him and Eisner closed down hand-drawn animation at Disney and he also really doesn't know what he's doing. He applauds animation on the cheap, since he basically made a career of it from their direct to dvd market.

The only hope we can have is that Toy Story 3 is a horrible piece of crap and makes absolutely no money.

EDIT: Found this exerpt on David Stainton by C.W. Oberleitner

Under Stainton's leadership, Disney animation continued to hemorrhage jobs. During his first full year, he shut down production on a variety of animation projects and oversaw the closure of Disney animation studios in Paris, Japan, and Florida. Those closures resulted in the loss of hundreds of jobs.

Early in his tenure, Stainton, a Harvard-educated MBA, began developing a reputation for ham-handed tactlessness. He quickly became known for a series of feckless pep talks admonishing his demoralized creative staff to have "fun, because good films come out of a fun atmosphere!"

In a bizarre effort to raise moral, he sang out, Evita style, from a second floor balcony of WDFA's Burbank headquarters to the staff below, "Don't cry for me animation." Shortly thereafter, he announced that American Dog, originally slated to be a traditional 2D-animated project, would be switched to CGI, thus giving the last of the 2D animators something to really cry about.

Stainton defended Disney's burgeoning direct-to-video operations against criticism from a group of WDFA-Florida (WDFA-F) animators he had just laid off by saying, "the public couldn't really tell the difference between the direct-to-video stuff and the films that Feature Animation actually produces." This brought on a series of catcalls, boos, and jeers from the assembled crowd.

Shortly after announcing the closure of WDFA-F, Stainton sent a overly cheery email to the entire staff congratulating them on the Academy Award nomination for what would be the last Disney film ever produced there, Brother Bear. Dozens of now unemployed WDFA-F staffers took to the internet to vent their feelings of having been callously insulted by a thoughtless individual still secure in his six-figure income.

Stainton has been quoted as saying he couldn't understand why Finding Nemo, from Disney partner Pixar Animation Studios, was such a big hit. That, however, did not stop him from decorating the halls of the WDFA building in Burbank with Nemo cutouts as if the film had been produced there.

Stainton seems to have few, if any, supporters among Disney animation's legions of fans. While no one seems to bare him any ill will, most hope that if he is replaced that it will be with someone with a "creative" background and not another MBA from Strategic Planning.
Last edited by Coheteboy on Tue Nov 16, 2004 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My name is Dave.

Coheteboy

Post by Coheteboy » Tue Nov 16, 2004 1:08 pm

Oh and on another note (from animated-news):

2D Pixar films still a possibility
Animated News' Christian just got back from the ASIFA-Hollywood screening of The Incredibles (one of the perks of membership . . . hint, hint) at the Writer's Guild Theater in Beverly Hills. Brad Bird was scheduled to attend but couldn't make it. Pete Docter (director of Monsters, Inc.) was there to fill in and in the Q&A session afterwards somebody asked Pete if Pixar would ever do a traditionally animated film. Pete replied with, "If the story ever called for it we are certainly open to it. The notion that 2D, traditional animation is dead is absurd." This remark was responded to with tremendous applause from the audience. Another tidbit learned from Animated News' fly-on-the-wall perspective is that the upcoming Pink Panther movie starring Steve Martin will have an animated introduction directed by Bob Kurtz.

I really hope Pixar DOES do a 2D movie and rocks everyone's world with it. That would be a really nice "up yours" to Disney and everyone who abandoned it to go CG.
My name is Dave.

Azzamckazza

Post by Azzamckazza » Tue Nov 16, 2004 2:54 pm

I don't know how I feel about this. Half of me wants to deny it's existance while the other half would love to see how badly Disney will fuck it up.

The saddest thing, for me at least, is knowing that this inevitable turd of a movie will ruin the toy Story universe for all the little kids in the world who don't know better.

I'm seeing a guy from Disney talk about this and chicken little in 2 weeks, so I'll let you guys know whats up.
ImageImage

ChadTHX1138

Post by ChadTHX1138 » Tue Nov 16, 2004 3:05 pm

There goes the neighborhood... :roll:
Chad Townsend

Alex Deligiannis

Post by Alex Deligiannis » Wed Nov 17, 2004 12:17 pm

If it wasn't mentioned yet, I'll be the bearer of even more bad news...Disney is set to make Incredibles 2, sans Pixar.

Coheteboy

Post by Coheteboy » Wed Nov 17, 2004 12:24 pm

Alex Deligiannis wrote:If it wasn't mentioned yet, I'll be the bearer of even more bad news...Disney is set to make Incredibles 2, sans Pixar.
Groan... should we just rename this thread to "DISNEY and their Wrongdoings"?
My name is Dave.

Azzamckazza

Post by Azzamckazza » Wed Nov 17, 2004 3:08 pm

If it wasn't mentioned yet, I'll be the bearer of even more bad news...Disney is set to make Incredibles 2, sans Pixar.
Are they allowed to do that? I thought the only reason they're making Toy Story 3 was because Toy Story 2 was meant to go straight to video and wasn't counted in their seven-picture deal
ImageImage

SonOfaRich

Post by SonOfaRich » Wed Nov 17, 2004 5:22 pm

Any chance that Disney is doing this out of SPITE? :evil:
Intergalactic proton powered electrical tentacle advertising droids!!!!!

Coheteboy

Post by Coheteboy » Wed Nov 17, 2004 6:45 pm

SonOfaRich wrote:Any chance that Disney is doing this out of SPITE? :evil:
It's possible. Steve Jobs has been rejecting every offer that Eisner has thrown his way. What Jobs wants are the rights to all 7 pixar/disney films. Which is a goldmine that Eisner doesn't want to let go of.
My name is Dave.

ChadTHX1138

Post by ChadTHX1138 » Thu Nov 18, 2004 2:24 pm

as if it couldnt get any worse... Man this is upsetting.
Chad Townsend

Dek

Post by Dek » Thu Nov 18, 2004 5:28 pm

Coheteboy wrote:Him and Eisner closed down hand-drawn animation at Disney and he also really doesn't know what he's doing.
You can do that? I mean, seriously. You can never turn over creativity to a computer, and you'll never be able to. When you try, you'll end up with that crap they talk about in 1984 - machine-produced, horrible, cookie-cutter crap.
Azzamckazza wrote:I don't know how I feel about this. Half of me wants to deny it's existance while the other half would love to see how badly Disney will fuck it up.
God. You and me both, man. I KNOW that Disney's doing this just out of spite - as much as I know it's going to be crap. It's like making toast, but finding out a way to do it without bread. All you'll get is ashes.[/quote]

peng8noodles

Post by peng8noodles » Fri Nov 19, 2004 11:49 am

ChadTHX1138 wrote:There goes the neighborhood... :roll:
:(

Dek

Post by Dek » Fri Nov 19, 2004 4:31 pm

Dek wrote:
Coheteboy wrote:Him and Eisner closed down hand-drawn animation at Disney and he also really doesn't know what he's doing.
You can do that? I mean, seriously. You can never turn over creativity to a computer, and you'll never be able to. When you try, you'll end up with that crap they talk about in 1984 - machine-produced, horrible, cookie-cutter crap.
Azzamckazza wrote:I don't know how I feel about this. Half of me wants to deny it's existance while the other half would love to see how badly Disney will fuck it up.
God. You and me both, man. I KNOW that Disney's doing this just out of spite - as much as I know it's going to be crap. It's like making toast, but finding out a way to do it without bread - and trying cardboard. All you'll get is ashes.