Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow

Discuss films.
Kazu
Site Admin

Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow

Post by Kazu » Sat Dec 20, 2003 7:32 pm

http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount ... ftomorrow/

Flight contributor Dan Blank shows his mug on the teaser trailer. He's the second person looking up at the sky as the robots attack the city. He worked on the film as a compositor and they needed somebody with an old-timey vibe to pose for the camera. Old timey Mister Blank. Hehe.

I think the trailer makes the film look pretty neat. I like the fact that they did the film in black and white, then colorized it in post.

neil

Post by neil » Sat Dec 20, 2003 8:50 pm

The movie has an appealing blend of style.. The CGI is looking not so good though; it's probably just unfinished. That's how it usually is with these teaser trailers.
Kazu wrote: I like the fact that they did the film in black and white, then colorized it in post.
Ah, cool. They do this a lot with music videos. I'll bet they shot it in color, then desaturated it and re-colored it in post, since it's actually gotten more expensive to shoot straight black and white :roll:

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Sat Dec 20, 2003 8:58 pm

No, actually they shot the film in black and white intending to keep it that way, and then the decision was made late in the game to make it a color film. So they really are colorizing the film like they used to. At least this is what I hear from Dan and another friend working on it. Of course, I could be totally wrong.

dik pose

Post by dik pose » Sat Dec 20, 2003 9:28 pm

This looks like a hoot, I got to see the Watkiss concept art for this, and it all rocked, total old school feel. I was hoping for B/W, but we'll see, this could be a really great fun film if its done well.

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Sun Dec 21, 2003 2:03 am

Okay, never mind. I was wrong. They shot in color, desaturated, then colorized.

Richard > I'd love to see John Watkiss's work on the project. That guy can really paint.

BlindingForce

Post by BlindingForce » Mon Dec 22, 2003 12:10 am

I caught the last few seconds of this trailer during ROTK coming in late. I saw the rest of it today on quicktime.com

This is the kind of thing I love. These kinds of ideas and stories. This kind of design. It's even better now that I know some of the behind the scenes details. They really should make an art of book for this one...it's just screaming for one.
Anthony Schiavino

Designer Blinding Force Productions
Mass Market Designer/Assistant TOR Books

douglas a. bot

Post by douglas a. bot » Mon Dec 22, 2003 1:45 am

WOW!! It's like they made a preview with every single cool thing i love in it...to make me think there is an unbelievably cool movie with everything i love in it...coming soon.
This looks great.
That first opening scene is a total homage to one of the first Fleischer Superman cartoons...
Such a great sense of style and action to it...cannot wait.

d.

Kean
Site Admin

Post by Kean » Mon Dec 22, 2003 1:46 am

Yeah... I literally crapped my pants when I saw the trailer. This was the first I'd ever heard of this movie, and it simply rocked the socks off me.

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Mon Dec 22, 2003 1:48 am

Thats funny. I kept hearing from industry people that the film was going to suck and most everyone around me has been brushing it off whenever it was mentioned, and I really dug the trailer, too. Of course, I heard the same of Finding Nemo.

Kean
Site Admin

Post by Kean » Mon Dec 22, 2003 1:53 am

I think it's a love/hate sort of thing. People that love the retro 40's look (and giant robots... and zepplinns!) will absolutely love this thing. People that might not entirely get the (slight) cheesiness will probably hate the movie.

Am I the only one that saw the movie version of The Rocketeer and found it great for what it was?

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Mon Dec 22, 2003 1:58 am

Actually, I did hear that the story and acting are pretty weak. From the trailer, I still can't fully understand what's going on, so perhaps these comments are not unfounded.

Kean
Site Admin

Post by Kean » Mon Dec 22, 2003 2:04 am

I don't really care. I don't know if you've noticed, but it's got WW2 airplanes... and giant robots in it!! They had me at "hello."

douglas a. bot

Post by douglas a. bot » Mon Dec 22, 2003 2:05 am

I loved the Rocketeer. Such high camp action adventure!!

I find it funny that people would pan a film for poor special effects or cheese. When in my eyes...it's the whole point!
It really doesn't bother me if say the robots aren't totally real looking. It's giant killer robots fighting WWII aeroplanes...sit back and enjoy it i say.
Why is something like this any different to say Indiana Jones?

We've become incredibly spoilt when it comes to special effects...so much so that if something is just slightly not "right" looking...the whole film is spoiled.

Odd.

douglas a. bot

Post by douglas a. bot » Mon Dec 22, 2003 2:07 am

Kean wrote:I don't really care. I don't know if you've noticed, but it's got WW2 airplanes... and giant robots in it!! They had me at "hello."
No...you had me. Shall we go see it together Kean? I'll buy you popcorn...if you let me touch your special pla... :shock:

Kean
Site Admin

Post by Kean » Mon Dec 22, 2003 2:09 am

My mama always told me to tell an adult whenever someone touched me in my swimsuit area...