Return of the King

Discuss films.
BlindingForce

Post by BlindingForce » Mon Dec 22, 2003 12:16 am

yes i forgot to mention the index. I still have yet to read through that in it's entirity. I've only got through about a third. I figure there's no real rush since i'm reading a good 3 books at a time. Right now I'm at the flight to the ford...last chapter of book one in fellowship. This is where Arwen brings Frodo to Rivendell.

Tolkien doesn't have alot of female characters but the ones he has are stronger then many. I had read ROTK before the movie came out and finished about 6 months ago so, without ruining it for anyone yet, I couldn't wait for what Eowyn(sp?) had in store. :)

I believe I said Gondolin in a prior post...not sure where I got that from seeing it was Minas Tirith. I'll have to go and check to see if that is actually mentioned in the book(Gondolin). I tell you one thing though...Bilbo is nowhere near as goofy and senile in the movie as he is in the book. I guess they wanted to give him more respect. One of my annoyed points about the film though is that they never filmed the scouring of the shire due to the fact Jackson never liked it. Granted it would have been another half to an hour longer but we would have go to see more of Rosie and the Old Gaffer. That and the fact the end wouldn't have been as chopped as it was. Scenes were great but they need to tighten the editing for the EE disks.
Anthony Schiavino

Designer Blinding Force Productions
Mass Market Designer/Assistant TOR Books

neil

Post by neil » Mon Dec 22, 2003 11:41 am

Thanks Dik... I was pretty sure that scene was either much better detailed in the book, or not there at all, because it was such a cinematic ending. The fade to white was nice...

Phil

Post by Phil » Mon Dec 22, 2003 1:25 pm

I just got the extended Two Towers DVDs, and my family and I are planning to watch it on Wednesday, and then all go to ROTK on Christmas Day. (Some of us--the males--have already seen it, but I must go again... and again!)

The TT documentary about Gollum is amazing. That character is a brilliant, groundbreaking masterpiece. When you watch Andy Serkis doing Gollum's voice, you can hardly believe it's coming out of his mouth!

And the few extended/added scenes I previewed so far are awesome.

I plan to enjoy ROTK MUCH more the second time. Any qualms I had with it are being systematically rectified by an experi-mental process called "psyching myself up."
(Plus, seeing it with my tearfully advantaged sister and Mom will provide vicarious enjoyment via unjaded perspectives.)
Yeah!

BlindingForce

Post by BlindingForce » Wed Dec 24, 2003 1:07 am

I just have to post this...from the onering.net Oh and I'm getting TTT:EE for Christmas so I'll have to wait just another day! Let the fun begin. :) Just think the bad boy we saw in theatres was a measily 3 hours and 12 minutes. Let's hope it more then fight scenes. Aragorn never said "He has gone unchallenged long enough."

From: http://www.theonering.net/staticnews/1072200980.html

RotK EE Rumored "longer than 4 hours and 50 min"
Tookish @ 12:36 pm EST

Editor's Note: I cannot confirm the accuracy of this report!

Nothing clear yet on the release date, let alone the disc specs for the third installment of The Lord of the Rings, however since both previous films had Extended Editions released on DVD it is fair to assume this will happen again, especially after it is rumoured Peter Jackson said the following at the Copenhagen premiere. Basically he commented that the first cut of Return of the King had a running time of four hours and fifty minutes. When asked why this was too long for theatres but acceptable for DVD, he said:

"It is different with the DVD version. People watch it at home. They can lay on the couch or spread the experience over two or three nights. That is the amazing thing with DVD. It gives a whole new dynamic and I can assure you that the DVD version of Return of the King will be longer than 4 hours and 50 min."

Unless any of our Danish readers have can confirm this then it is still rumour, however if true, this really is interesting news.

My note: Also note that Sir Ian McKellen (Gandalf) appeared on Jonathan Ross Friday night, and he said that the Extended Edition would be over five hours long.

Andy

[Source: DVDAnswers.com]
Anthony Schiavino

BlindingForce

Post by BlindingForce » Wed Dec 24, 2003 1:09 am

Neil wrote:Thanks Dik... I was pretty sure that scene was either much better detailed in the book, or not there at all, because it was such a cinematic ending. The fade to white was nice...
Not sure if I said this here or my own board but they had nothing but class putting in Sean Bean at the end credits. Things like that make it more than hollywood.
Anthony Schiavino

dik pose

Post by dik pose » Wed Dec 24, 2003 1:47 am

So your telling me the ROTK:EE will be almost 5 hours or maybe more?!!! Thats crazy, unbelievable, I WANT MORE!!! Thanks for that update by the way.

BlindingForce

Post by BlindingForce » Wed Dec 24, 2003 7:44 am

yes...IF that rumor proves true. I do know Jackson never filmed the scouring of the shire ending to the book so that right there cuts off what would have been that added hour! lol

The fall of Grima and Sauruman will definately be in it though. He didn't need to cut that out of the movie. They could have made it longer...just put in a damn intermission. Anything over a certain amount of time she have one. I don't care about the "flow" of the movie. The ending of ROTK, which I loved every minute of it, was a poor editing job and you can tell they rushed to get it out for the Dec. 17 showing/Official Premieres.
Anthony Schiavino

davi
Flight Moderator

Post by davi » Mon Dec 29, 2003 2:16 am

is it sad that i've already seen in 3 times

dik pose

Post by dik pose » Mon Dec 29, 2003 4:29 am

davi its not sad, you are a hero to me.
(I forced my parents, sister, and cousin to watch the first two JUST so I can go see the 3rd one again and not feel bad about it "I'm not watching it again for me...its for them, they need someone there to keep them company!")

Oh, I just saw this site pointlesswasteoftime, they did top 50 reasons LOTR sucks. Pretty damn funny I thought. Here is number 3 on the list, just so you get a taste.

"3. Quality Control at New Line.

Millions of copies of the LOTR DVDs have thick black bars at the bottom and top of the screen throughout the film. Didn't anyone catch this? You know what happens at the end, in the extreme foreground and extreme upper sky? Neither do I. Bush league, guys. "

http://www.pointlesswasteoftime.com/film/50reasons.html

Phil

Post by Phil » Mon Dec 29, 2003 7:15 pm

I didn't want to read the whole thing, but I couldn't stop! It was funny.

One of my faves:
16: The Asbestos Wizard.

We all saw Gandalf fall into the molten core of Middle Earth after his battle with the firebeast thing in part 1. Well, I guess the Gandalf action figure must have sold well, because in the slap-together sequel Two Towers, Gandalf is back. Perhaps it was voodoo, a la the corpse in Weekend at Bernie's II (look closely and you'll notice LOTR steals several elements from the WAB films).

douglas a. bot

Post by douglas a. bot » Tue Jan 06, 2004 7:57 am

Saw it tonight...finally.
Bloody tops. Haven't read the books...probably never will...far too long winded and really quite dull.
So many stunning scenes. The lighting of the torches, the battles, the editing cuts of Farimir riding out, his father gorging himself and pippin singing. Just phenomenal.

It's 2 in the morning here...still letting it all sink in. Overwhelming.

d.

John

Post by John » Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:36 pm

There was a little bit of laughter from the audience toward the end, when the filmmakers just... couldn't... let... the film... end...