The Village

Discuss films.
Jared

The Village

Post by Jared » Fri Jul 30, 2004 1:10 pm

An unremarkable film with a remarkably original story.

Worth seeing. But only for the idea behind the movie - not the movie itself.

SonOfaRich

Post by SonOfaRich » Fri Jul 30, 2004 4:25 pm

I like the last part of Ebert's review of the film, which he gave 1 star.

"It's a crummy secret, about one step up the ladder of narrative originality from It Was All a Dream. It's so witless, in fact, that when we do discover the secret, we want to rewind the film so we don't know the secret anymore.

And then keep on rewinding, and rewinding, until we're back at the beginning, and can get up from our seats and walk backward out of the theater and go down the up escalator and watch the money spring from the cash register into our pockets."

deantrippe

Post by deantrippe » Fri Jul 30, 2004 6:07 pm

I don't know, I saw both major plot twists coming from a good distance, but enjoyed the flick anyway. The girl who played Ivy was remarkable, and I liked the design of the monster.

The was not up to the level of Night's previous flicks, IMO, but still an enoyable story. I like how bizzare this guy's stuff is.

The originality of his stories is so amazing, amidst the crap that Hollywood pumps out.

househatke

Post by househatke » Fri Jul 30, 2004 8:33 pm

Aw, it's too bad that this movie seems so bad. I liked the 6th Unbreakable Signs quite a bit (though, on rewatching, Signs was the weakest of the three).

This is also the first movie that some friends of mine participated in as extras. Too bad for them they're in a rotten movie, I guess.

deantrippe

Post by deantrippe » Fri Jul 30, 2004 9:18 pm

Here's my nice, but spoiler-free review:

http://trippenews.blogspot.com/2004/07/ ... llage.html

dan

Post by dan » Sat Jul 31, 2004 7:06 am

What Ebert says rings true. The first 1.5 hours is reeeeeeeeeeeaally good. But after that, well....yeah...:(

dan

SonOfaRich

Post by SonOfaRich » Sun Aug 01, 2004 11:19 pm

I just saw this film and I thought it deserved more than 1 star, which Ebert and many critics gave it. I liked the story and I thought it was more convincing than "Signs". It's tough to discuss this film without spoilers, because it's the spoilers that need to be discussed.

Touchstone Pictures better hope to make a lot this weekend, because after the ending gets out, I doubt there will be very many people coming to see this, which is everything but 'horror'.

Johnny Neat

Post by Johnny Neat » Mon Aug 02, 2004 6:22 am

Saw it.
Loved it.
It may not bring the shock value of his firsts, but it was a professional and not at all bad addition to his library of personal works.
I think he's one of the best directors out there and without a doubt a master of the camera.
The whole story was success, as he has done it. I think it beats out signs, if only because I would have preferred a real person as the alien in a suit at the end. Or better yet, the whole scene if done in the TV's reflection would have been PERFECT.

Anyhow kudos to M. Night, the next Spielberg.
Visit the GK Movie Watch Blog at www.Galaxykid.blogspot.com

SonOfaRich

Post by SonOfaRich » Mon Aug 02, 2004 10:39 am

Johnny Mercury wrote:I think he's one of the best directors out there and without a doubt a master of the camera.
Speaking of the camera....Beautiful cinematography by Roger Deakins as always.

Johnny Neat

Post by Johnny Neat » Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:17 am

SonOfRich

you know :!: Roger Deakins pimped it hard.
Visit the GK Movie Watch Blog at www.Galaxykid.blogspot.com

deantrippe

Post by deantrippe » Tue Aug 03, 2004 11:51 am

I have no understanding of people giving it such low ratings. The acting was spectacular and the cinematography gorgeous.

Not liking the story shouldn't bring about such anger as to insult the entire work.

Aside from that, most of the people that I've talked to that HATED it have too little enjoyment in odd storytelling...to little willing suspension of disbelief. I love what the movie says about fear. I wish I could go into details, because the more I think about it, the more interesting it is. Fear of monsters. Maintaining a boundary of fear. Post-9-11, the story is quite fascinating. Fantastic.

Anyway, like I said, I enjoyed the flick, but didn't think it was up to Night's usual standard. But I didn't give up on Spielberg after Minority Report, because I knew he'd come back with something cool...like Catch Me if You Can.

Sham Zmam

Post by Sham Zmam » Tue Aug 03, 2004 3:03 pm

I loved it, but to be fair, I tend to love movies. I'm not much of a critic, I just like sittin' down and having a good time.

I think the main problem with M. Night Shamlylmamamlym's movies is, he's set a standard-- the surprise ending. All his movies have to have this big twist at the end, so everyone leaves going "OH JEEZ, DIDN'T SEE THAT ONE COMING, WOW."
Problem is, those sort of movies have a tendency turn the audience into amateur detectives-- people aren't getting as into the movie as they would, because they're all half-focused on figuring out the twist.
When I saw Sixth Sense, it kicked my ass. I had no idea what the end would be. When I saw it for the second time with my dad (his first time), he'd been told that there was this unbelievable ending that would just blow his mind... and he figured it out about halfway through, because he was looking for clues.

That's how I was with The Village. I figured out just about every surprise it had to offer, because I was practically playing M. Night Blue's Clues the whole time.
I enjoyed the hell out of it, but I wasn't surprised by it.

(Disclaimer: Yeah, I know everyone doesn't always try to figure out the ending, but all my friends are film nerds. It's all I know.)

neil

Post by neil » Fri Aug 06, 2004 3:57 am

Jared wrote:Worth seeing. But only for the idea behind the movie - not the movie itself.
I sorta had the opposite feeling...

I really liked the style of the movie. The colored cloaks reminded me of Nicolas Roeg's Don't Look Now, and James Newton Howard's score is one of the best I've heard in a long time--the violins were really chilling.

I think it's unfair of critics like Ebert to complain so much about the unremarkable plot twists in The Village, but stake their entire opinion of the film on them.

If you think you have the fortitude to watch a slowly paced Danish film from 1954, check out Ordet--it has the best plot twist in all cinema. It'll leave you haunted for years! I still haven't been able to shake it.

Phil

Post by Phil » Fri Aug 06, 2004 4:33 pm

I agree with you, Neil, on The Village.
I liked it. :)

The guy doesn't blow someone's mind out with a crazy twist, and suddenly his films are utter crap? Please.
This is better than 90% of what comes through theaters these days.

(I want to see Ordet now...)
:)

MattH

Post by MattH » Sat Aug 07, 2004 12:11 am

possible spoiler:

did anyone read "running out of time"? A friend explained the plot of the movie to me tonight and it seemed very very simmilar to the book.