Harry Potter 3

Discuss films.
neil

Post by neil » Sat Jun 12, 2004 3:41 pm

Kazu wrote:He said that if you wrote software that could turn a book into a movie, then those films are what you would get.
It's funny, whether the books are adapted loosely or quite literally, someone's got a problem with it. I just wish people would keep in mind that "How good is this movie?" and "How well does this movie adapt that book?" are independent questions. I mean you could shift the blame to the books as well: "If you could write software that translates a book into one that's easy to adapt into a mainstream movie, you'd get the first two Harry Potter books." Flipping through the first book after seeing the first movie, that was my impression, anyway.

Still haven't gotten a chance to catch the Imax screening yet...

I'm not really sure if this film is really the darker one of the trilogy; it may be in the palette-wise sense, but the second one had monstrous spiders and snakes, and a little elf that tries to murder Harry and then mutilates himself with guilt afterward (actually all the main characters were plagued with guilt through the whole thing). This third film felt a lot less tense to me, like Kazu suggested.

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Mon Jun 14, 2004 1:17 pm

Oh, I forgot to mention the score by John Williams. It's really very good. While his score for the first two were very much the typical grand-style work he's known for, I thought it was great to hear him get a little experimental and moodier with this one. What a great effort by probably the most influential soundtrack composer of our time. He's still pushing things. I think that's awesome. :D

Jason C-M

Post by Jason C-M » Mon Jun 14, 2004 3:19 pm

Although there was stuff about the movie I didn't feel was done as well as it could have been, I did think this was a decided improvement over the first two.

I don't think it's darker than the second, really. Partly for the reasons Neil cited, but maybe more just because I thought that basilisk thing was pretty scary, and the werewolf was a little silly-looking.

Overall, i had more congratulatory things to say about the movie than critical. I really liked the clock mechanics that permeated the film.
Fun for Brains and Eyeballs!
with Drawing a Blank: News from the Drafting Table
http://www.cheeseman-meyer.com

artichoke

Post by artichoke » Tue Jun 15, 2004 8:27 pm

I've heard people either liking it much more than the first two, or thinking the first two were much better. I'm definately in the first category though.

I think there is a transition in directorial styles here that reminds me of shifts in architechture--the first movie was Romanesque, this one was Gothic. Stylistically speaking only, of course. I agree with what has been said about eh subject matter, for the most part.

peppermint

Post by peppermint » Tue Jun 22, 2004 6:56 am

love it : favorite!
a friend told me what a nice photography. had to agree. its visually very apealing(is that its written?:)

nevertheless, it is by far the best film of the HP sequence, probabily because of the third book being the best handwriting by mrs rowling ; and it also has a nice insight by cuaron. he just got a new faN.