Harry Potter 3

Discuss films.
peng8noodles

Harry Potter 3

Post by peng8noodles » Thu Jun 03, 2004 7:31 pm

oh come on, there have to be at least one other harry potter fan in here. don't make me cry...anyways, i am in no way ashamed to be a harry potter fan. alot of people think it's childish, but i actually really like it. i think JK Rowling is a genius for having come up with a whole world like that.
sooo, is anyone gonna go see it? i'm gonna see it the day it comes up....BOOYAH!
whoops...am i supposed to watch the movie first and post a review or something? sorry if i kinda violated that...
i'm really looking forward to it. it looks really good, and all the actors have matured, and they've got Alfonso Cuaron working on it, so it's gotta be good. and, and they have Alan Rickman as Snape again, and he's brilliant, and Gary Oldman and David Thewlis....
so, and harry potter fans, talk with me! or, if everyone's harry potter haters here, then throw your rotten tomatoes at me! i've not a care in the world when i'm this giddy with excitement.. 8)

Clank

Post by Clank » Thu Jun 03, 2004 7:37 pm

I think the movie will probably be good, but those actors sure DO NOT look like eighth graders. That's what they're technically supposed to be in the movie, I think. I'm probably going to see the movie, but not the day it comes out. I'm not a rabid fan. So dere.

TheLittleOne

Post by TheLittleOne » Thu Jun 03, 2004 9:21 pm

Prisoner of Azkaban is a whole lot better than the first two, which I attribute partly to Cuaron being a better director than Columbus and partly to the third book being better than the first two. Rickman is great, just great, as Sirius Black. I am still disappointed by the cartoony CGI though. Easily the best end credit crawl I've ever seen (maybe excluding Seven, which had sheer shock value working for it).

peng8noodles

Post by peng8noodles » Thu Jun 03, 2004 9:22 pm

ah yea. they're growing up too quickly for the films. and the sad thing is, they're probably gonna have to switch actors/actresses for the kids if they ever plan on filming all the books. but then no one will want to see it anymore if they change the actors, cause everyone'll be used to thoe originals. aye.

dik pose

Post by dik pose » Thu Jun 03, 2004 10:17 pm

It woulda been nice if they finished the books before they started cashing in on the movies...I really want to read all the books before watching the movies...but I agree that this one's trailer looks the best so far from all three.

Mothos

Post by Mothos » Thu Jun 03, 2004 11:06 pm

peng8noodles wrote: but then no one will want to see it anymore if they change the actors, cause everyone'll be used to thoe originals.
Yeah, no one wanted to see the James Bond movies after Sean Connery left either. :D

Johnny Neat

Post by Johnny Neat » Fri Jun 04, 2004 6:54 am

I think it's gonna be straight up fun, and I expect this new chapter to be just as fun ride into her crazy imagination. My girl, who's the only true Potter fan in this house, tries to pimp me to the Potter Books every chance she gets after reading them and becoming a fan of something. So yeah I'll be seeing this ASAP. No shame in Potter's innocent charm and excitement getting to me.
Last edited by Johnny Neat on Wed Jun 09, 2004 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Visit the GK Movie Watch Blog at www.Galaxykid.blogspot.com

Nofret

Post by Nofret » Fri Jun 04, 2004 7:21 am

Allright allright, I'm a Potter fan too. Now, if I had read these books when I was twelve or something, I would be a rabid fan. (Hrrrmm...I think I have a Potter fan art somewhere. :oops: ...guess I'm a big fan if I do that)
Will be seeing the third movie Tuesday with a gang from work. They go for the Dementors, I go for Alan Rickman and Gary Oldman :wink:

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Fri Jun 04, 2004 1:08 pm

Oh, I really want to see this one. It looks really good.

Nofret

Post by Nofret » Fri Jun 04, 2004 1:27 pm

Ah, why not. It's Potter weekend, so I suppose I can get away with it. Posting the whole lot...(not as if I hadn't started spreading the stuff all over the internet and message boards anyway ;) )
After that, I'll hide them again untill the next film. Hehehe

Here goes: :!: Warning :!: Potter drawings dump!
First one was a rough pencil quickly colored over.

And parody comic strips...and I don't even like Garfield anymore. Nope, won't be bringing these ones out when the Garfield movie opens.

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Fri Jun 04, 2004 1:48 pm

Haha!!!! These are awesome!! If you were drawing Garfield, I would still be reading it! :D

KingMixer

The best Potter to date

Post by KingMixer » Fri Jun 04, 2004 3:24 pm

I just got back from seeing The Prisoner of Azkaban and I loved. I'd say it's better than 1 & 2 and a much darker film but dark in a good way where it's interesting dark. You're kids might get a little scared Rudolph but I think they'll be able to handle it.

It is safe to say that Harry Potter really is this new generation's Star Wars and I'm not saying that one is better than the other but making the point that you can see something really epic at work here and this is going to be what the younger generation remembers of film much like Return of the Jedi was the first film I remember seeing as a kid. Potter also gets kids reading too.

The plot really picks up with this one. I can't really say much more than that until everyone has seen the movie.

neil

Post by neil » Fri Jun 04, 2004 4:08 pm

Nice fan art there nofret...

I did enjoy this movie as much as the last one I think, and it's really nice to see the characters and stories growing up. Daniel Radcliffe got a chance to show some real anger (I actually felt tense when he was screaming "Shut up! Shut up!") and a bit of subtle sarcastic humor as Harry; and he still looks perfect in the role. The casting is all amazingly good.. I was loving every moment of David Thewliss, though it's too bad to see Emma Thompson unrecognizable in a cartoonish bit character role. And the effects! The broomstick flying looks a little better than it did in the first movie, as I recall, and I was completely wowed by the griffin--the way it trotted around and moved its head was so convincing.

Also, while I really liked the way the plot chugged along around an entertaining mystery in the second film, this one gives us the same with added emotional appeal--Harry gets a chance at a real home this time, and that was nice.

And yeah, I loved the ending credit crawl as well.

A possible spoiler:
They really botched the surprise behind David Thewlis' character by giving him the name Lupin. (This like when they gave that James Bond character the name of Electra and actually made it a mystery as to who killed her father.) However, I really loved how when he stepped in front of Harry to tame the dementor-illusion, it changed into a full moon. That was a great little clue to keep things moving. And furthermore, the werewolf design in this movie was about a thousand times better than that of Van Helsing

This was a stimulating movie to watch.

Joel

Post by Joel » Fri Jun 04, 2004 10:21 pm

Have you read the books, Neil?
They're even better!

Rowling dumps tons of "double" names....Argus Filch, the Hogwarts caretaker and security guard shares the same name Argus, as the hundred eyed greek/roman god.

And Sirius, of course, gets his name from the dog star.

There was tons of stuff I wished they put in the movie, but hey, the movie was great and the books will always be there...hahah

peng8noodles

Post by peng8noodles » Sat Jun 05, 2004 1:55 pm

aha. nofret, that is the coolest harry potter fanart i have ever seen.

anyways, i saw harry potter last night, and overall, i thought it was pretty good, although it seemed like the movie skipped alot and i didn't really enjoy the ending. i can understand if they wanted to kind of squeeze everything into one movie, but come on! i can think of a way better ending than harry flying off on his broom...

anyways, it was very nicely done, and i think alfonso cuaron did a good job with it. the hippogriffs and dementors were really awesome, and rupert grint (ron) is a welcome comic relief. i still think they should've included some more stuff from the book though. i have this weird feeling, that i didn't see the entire movie, but just parts of it. nevertheless, it was good.

ps. the third book was my favorite out of the series. wee bit disappointed that they didn't have more stuff from the book, but eh, they're the ones getting paid to do the films and whatnot, so whatever. the books are way better though......