Hellboy 2

Discuss films.
SonOfaRich

Hellboy 2

Post by SonOfaRich » Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:07 am

I thought it was good, but I wouldn't say it was amazing. Nothing new here. A mix of Star Wars, Pan's Labryinth, and Blade 2. All very well put together. The whole time I was thinking, I can't wait to see what he does with "The Hobbit"! It definitely had a lot of nice moments. It's at least equal to the first one.

One thing though, I can't tell what parts of Hellboy were CG. I thought they did an amazing job with that. From what I read, he was mostly CG. I understand in the action scenes, but even in the conversations?
Intergalactic proton powered electrical tentacle advertising droids!!!!!

dark77778

Post by dark77778 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:26 am

I wanted to see this last night but couldn't find the time. I'm working a double shift today so it looks like I'll have to sneak out and see it on Sunday after going to my other grandparent's house. Hey, as long as it's better than the first Hellboy movie, I'll be happy. Deltoro's really matured as a director so I'm expecting this movie to blow me away. Actually I think I want to start sketching Hellboy with the 40 mins I have left before work.
I'm my own breed of eccentric.

thirdeyeh

Post by thirdeyeh » Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:22 pm

Liked it. Del Toro and his crew create beautiful cinema.

dark77778

Post by dark77778 » Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:33 pm

Okay, this movie rocked outright. You won't be able to stop singing that damn Barry Manilow song once you leave the theater. It fixes nearly everything that I hated about the first one:

1) Humans. Myers is gone thank god. He was great for a starting focus in the first film, but now he's gone in the second one so there's no longer a battle for who the main character is. I mean seriously, the movie is called Hellboy, not Myers.

2) Monster variety. Hellboy fights everything from toothfaries to a clone of Miyazaki's nature Nightwalker. It makes you love CGI all over again.

3) Liz doesn't stand around like an idiot throughout the whole film...though only a little less unfortunatly.

However, it's not like the film doesn't come with it's own little set of flaws which began to dissapear halfway through the second film simply due to transition time. The big thing here being Klaus feeling like an Abe clone. However, after the locker scene this stops outright.

The only thing that really pissed me off about the film was the villain's motivation and the whole prophesy bull crap again (my beef with them go hand in hand). For starters, the villain doesn't explain his motivation for hating the humans so much beyond "They've cut down the trees, oh no." I mean, he monologues like it's nobodies business, but says the same thing over and over again just rewording "I hate humans. You should hate humans too Hellboy." never really developing a sensible argument. Then there's that really cool winged creature from the previews who's job is [unfortunatly] nothing special except to reiterate the prophecy from the first movie that Hellboy's supposed to destroy the world. Not even a hint as to why. So humanity doesn't like him too much, umm...stereotypical superhero complex, give me something to reflect upon here as I walk out the theater humming that damn Berry Manilow song instead of "You're supposed to destroy the world." I mean, that's like Doc Oc telling Spiderman that he's going to go on a murderous rampage across the globe killing everyone and that the humans suck because they don't understand him. It's not impossible, but it's not a very sound statement and just sounds like pointless bullcrap until I actually see it develop, something I was hoping to see in the second one.

Still, I have to agree, after seeing the Ireland scenes that Del Toro did, I can't wait to see what he does with The Hobbit. If he can make me love a book on film that I can't stand in print, then he will immediately earn even more of my respect by the twofold. See this one in theaters guys, it's a gem.

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:23 am

Surprisingly, I absolutely loved this film. I enjoyed the first film, but they took everything that worked well in that one and pushed everything up a few notches for this sequel. Every aspect of this film is infused with a lot of heart, and I think that's what carried me through the rough patches in the story and sometimes shaky exposition. It reminded me of watching Big Trouble in Little China. For that alone, I would have already loved this film, but it stands up well on its own feet while unabashedly paying tribute to other great genre films that preceded it. I think most everyone can now rest assured that The Hobbit is in very capable hands, as Del Toro has matured quite a bit as a storyteller here. I actually was a little disappointed by Pan's Labyrinth only because that film felt like a lot of tasty ingredients that never got cooked together, but in Hellboy 2, Del Toro is happily concocting a very flavorful stew with a confidence I haven't seen in his work before.

dark77778 > I thought the villain's motivation was perfectly sound. Survival is a genuinely strong motivation for any character, and his goal was to ensure the survival of his fellow magical creatures. He actually acts as a great counterbalance for Hellboy, and really amplifies the central conflict in this particular film. Prince Nuada will kill those he loves for his beliefs about the greater good of his society, while Hellboy and friends will fight for those they love, society or the greater good be damned. Of course, Nuada's philosophy brings ruin upon his people, while Hellboy's ends up helping both the monsters and mankind. Good stuff.

neil

Post by neil » Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:45 am

I agree with Kazu here--I kept thinking about how inventive and clever Del Toro was in using elements of different big genre films to make this story work as a pleasing summer movie, and I was glad to see him shave out the aspects that didn't work in the first movie. Though, I was a bit let down that David Hyde Pierce no longer speaks for Abe (replacing him with an imitator makes him a bit more generic) and that Jeffrey Tambor wasn't as funny in this movie; but Klauss provided some great comic relief. I was beginning to think that this kind of movie in general was out of gas (at least for me), but this was a filling, enjoyable ride. Just like Blade 2!

dark77778

Post by dark77778 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:12 am

Kazu wrote:Del Toro is happily concocting a very flavorful stew with a confidence I haven't seen in his work before.
Best analogy ever ;)
Kazu wrote: Prince Nuada will kill those he loves for his beliefs about the greater good of his society, while Hellboy and friends will fight for those they love, society or the greater good be damned.
Okay true you've got me there, he might've mentioned that fact once or thrice throughout the film, I guess it just didn't click with me on the first viewing due to the fact I was too busy focusing on the freaking elemental battle...gonna have to see it again :D

SonOfaRich

Post by SonOfaRich » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:00 pm

About the villain, played by Luke Goss. His Prince Nuada character was exactly like his Nomak character in "Blade 2". In "Hellboy 2" and "Blade 2" he has a sister that he cares about that gets in his way. It's funny how similar both those films are. And don't forget Ron Perlman was in "Blade 2" too.

The execution of 'Hellboy 2' is better than 'Blade 2'. Del Toro has come a long way. I just wish he didn't rehash 'Blade'. I was hoping 'Hellboy 2' would have been more refreshing.
Intergalactic proton powered electrical tentacle advertising droids!!!!!

mr cow

Post by mr cow » Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:00 pm

i loved it too! not only was it super fun, but there were layers upon layers of visual candy. i love how del toro will use cgi only when necessary (and cost effective i guess)- and his team blends everything so well. yay for costumes and makeup!

plus krauss was terrific (did you guys realize that was seth mcfarlane doing his voice?). what a great addition. and a good score by danny elfman too. this was just a bigger, better version of the first film- which is really what sequels should be.
dark77778 wrote:Then there's that really cool winged creature from the previews who's job is [unfortunatly] nothing special except to reiterate the prophecy from the first movie that Hellboy's supposed to destroy the world. Not even a hint as to why.
i'm fairly certain you'll see this develop in the third film. :)
Kazu wrote:It reminded me of watching Big Trouble in Little China. For that alone, I would have already loved this film,
yes! it had a really great 80's nostalgia feel, not in mimicking any of that stuff- but the sensibilities that made my favorite 80's movies work (and hold up despite the progression of effects) was all there. i was a kid again watching that whole troll market scene. if someone looked over at me, they would have seen me grinning the whole time.
neil wrote:Though, I was a bit let down that David Hyde Pierce no longer speaks for Abe (replacing him with an imitator makes him a bit more generic)
but i think doug jones, the actor playing abe, did the voice this time around. and there's something kinda neat about that. having hyde pierce voice over abe in the first film took a little sense of realism away from his character i thought. just because his voice is so recognizable and he wasn't doing the actions.

Ganter

Post by Ganter » Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:49 pm

I thought it was lots of fun, and could tell that this would be a good movie for repeat viewings because of its amazing monster/scene designs.

Yes, there were a couple of moments that felt, sounded like, and nearly ripped off from other movies (most notably in my mind -- Harry Potter and the first Lord of the Rings). But it didn't grate on my nerves like those kinds of things usually do. I think its because throughout it all, there was this sense that the film maker genuinely loved those things, and didn't care if people pointed out the copying. He just LOVED 'em. This sense of playful love was throughout the film, from the moment where Hellboy was drinking beer in the shower to the extraneously long reveal of the doorway at the Giant's Causeway in Ireland. It was just great. How could I not be impressed?

In fact, I didn't like any of Del Toro's other films too much. They always felt like they were trying to impress me with their quirkiness, and the monsters always felt a little forced to me which would sour the viewing experience. This was the first time I felt like Del Toro wasn't worried about impressing the audience anymore, and just wanted to take them on a fun adventure. He wasn't concerned about what people thought about him anymore, and it was so refreshing to see. This kind of all-out monster adventure is all I ever wanted from Del Toro, and it's the potential I would always see in his movies but never really got. Now I can't wait to see him to the Hobbit!

io

Post by io » Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:10 pm

Like Neil, I thought that this type of movie was played out, but Hellboy 2 proved me wrong. This is the first movie in a long, long time where the CG added to the experience instead of taking away from it. All of the monsters were great, the death of the giant plant monster was such a magical scene. Although it stopped the story a bit, I wish it and some of the other fantasy moments had been drawn out more. It took me back to the old days of movies like The Neverending Story, Big Trouble, and Star Wars.

dark77778

Post by dark77778 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:26 pm

Oh gosh cow, I hope so. I haven't read the graphic novels because I'm enjoying the films so much that I don't want to have them ruined and be one of those guys in the back row yelling "Eww! What the hell? That didn't happen in the book!" Seriously, that happened when I went to go see V right at the end of the film and I wanted to beat the crap outta the guy who said it.
Ganter wrote: This kind of all-out monster adventure is all I ever wanted from Del Toro, and it's the potential I would always see in his movies but never really got. Now I can't wait to see him to the Hobbit!
Yeah, I almost wish he did a movie of nothing but monster shorts. Though I can't believe you didn't like Pan's Labyrinth. That was a masterful monster bash of both human and otherworldly proportions.
io wrote:It took me back to the old days of movies like The Neverending Story, Big Trouble, and Star Wars.
Yes, yes and YES! I just kept thinking throughout the whole film: "Man, this was like what George Lucas used to do before Jarjar. Maybe this film will make him remember how to make movies." and "Didn't I see Henson do something like this at one point?" It makes me think that Del Toro should do an actual Neverending Story 3...instead of that 1994 Peter MacDonald piece of....eh tangent, it'll never happen :roll: .

jcaffoe

Post by jcaffoe » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:42 pm

I really can't wait to see this one again, but I'll probably wait for the DVD release. Some of those sets are so visually striking I want to pause and stare...The troll market was AWESOME.

What really struck me was the stream of consciousness design for the film. It didn't matter if it worked or was functional as long as it looked cool, which is very typical of both Guillermo Del Toro and Mike Mignola. So many designers go for function over form, and it's always a treat to see someone who answers the 'why?' of design with a 'why not?'. It's really where originality is born.

The design for the elves in this film was just staggeringly gorgeous. Giving them grace and nobility while also making them look slightly vampiric and sickly gave a great dichotomy to the race. You could see them as being virtuous or evil depending on the character.

The little things were what I liked most, like how when the tooth fairies started eating something they used the sound of a dentist drill, or how the elves blood resembled tree sap. Just brilliant.

matthewart

Post by matthewart » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:49 pm

I've seen this twice now (which is hard to do for me with the way my busy busy life currently is :)

there are so many reasons why I dig Hellboy 2.

Its a mix of so many things I love... but really pushes it all to the outer limits.

The elves where a beautiful variation on elves (Golden sap blood, wood skin, graceful and vicious. And such odd colors). The tooth fairies creepy (It made my own teeth itch a bit)... Giant plant raising out of the ground (didn't it look better than the War of the Worlds tripod rising out of the ground?) And super mecha steampunk robots at the end.

And besides all the stuff there is to geek out about... it had many an emotional and character moment.

One thing I like about Hellboy... is every incarnation is another different take on the whole thing. (Mike Magnola has said they're doing this on purpose) Liz and Hellboy aren’t together in the comic for instance... and Liz and Abe Sapien have a thing in the animated DVDs (fire and water…interesting). So the movie has surprises even for a long time Hellboy fan like me. For example… Liz pregnant with twins. WHOA! didn't see that one coming.

Now if I could just get that damn song out of my head.
[email protected]

"We are the music makers, We are the dreamers of dreams" ~ Arthur O'Shaughnessy

dark77778

Post by dark77778 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:34 pm

matthewart wrote:Now if I could just get that damn song out of my head.
I warned you! :lol: