The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

Discuss films.
squirpy

Post by squirpy » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:59 am

Huh, I actually liked it a lot. It held my interest the whole time even though it was really long.
I keep a sketchblog here

mr cow

Post by mr cow » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:51 am

i actually enjoyed this one too, even though i can understand the disappointment. i felt like what the film was trying to say was that even under extraordinary circumstances, ben lived a fairly ordinary life. all of his emotion and reactions to the world around him were told excellently though his eyes alone and any thing outside of that would have felt out of character to me. his whole life, ben was simply trying to find love and understanding in a world that was looking in a different direction and i felt it kind of heartbreaking that things would most likely never work out between daisy and him because of this. though i admit to being a pretty big softy when it comes to film romance. ;)

it was long though, and there were certainly moments (minutes?) that could have been edited out. but fincher's technical prowess and attention to details kept me entertained throughout. i was never bored, and even though benjamin was the least dynamic character in the bunch, i thought the snippets we learned from the people around him helped strengthen his story. i morbidly admit to wanting to know the other two ways that one guy got struck by lightning.

what's interesting about this film is that i think it's going to get a pretty mixed reaction because of the way it was told. there was a lot of symbolism, a great deal of interesting stories happening around ben, and his stoic attitude toward it all leaving a lot open to interpretation.

SonOfaRich

Post by SonOfaRich » Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:40 pm

I enjoyed it, but was a little bit underwhelmed. It met my expectations, but I was hoping it was going to exceed it. I don't mind that he was not an active character because everyone and everything around him took care of that. He was a passenger on the ride of Life. A victim of fate. What's special is his condition and his situation when he falls in love. I think the insights that we are forced to take from it are from our own experiences of life, love, and death.
Intergalactic proton powered electrical tentacle advertising droids!!!!!