Iron Man

Discuss films.
dik pose

Iron Man

Post by dik pose » Fri May 02, 2008 5:36 pm

Was good.

Favreau and Downey Jr presented the movie at the midnight showing in Hollywood... it was exciting.

Anyways... I felt the movie was solid. Great blend of comedy and action. Always undercutting the arrogant heroics of Stark with his suit screwing up.

And Gweneth Paltrow was as hot as she has been in a long time.

thirdeyeh

Post by thirdeyeh » Fri May 02, 2008 10:17 pm

I was thoroughly wrong on this one... It was hugely entertaining and I hang my head in shame. Great fun.

ChadTHX1138

Post by ChadTHX1138 » Sat May 03, 2008 2:49 pm

if you haven't seen it yet...make sure you stay through all the credits....There is a major major surprise waiting at the end. :D
Chad Townsend

dark77778

Post by dark77778 » Sat May 03, 2008 6:30 pm

Thanks for the heads up.
I'm my own breed of eccentric.

SonOfaRich

Post by SonOfaRich » Sun May 04, 2008 11:04 pm

Very enjoyable. Gotta love the stripper pole in the plane. lol :D
Intergalactic proton powered electrical tentacle advertising droids!!!!!

mr cow

Post by mr cow » Mon May 05, 2008 7:39 am

there hasn't been a superhero movie paced this well in a long time. i swear i was only in there for an hour. what a blast.

and best after credits treat ever. :D

Dan Santat

Post by Dan Santat » Mon May 05, 2008 2:05 pm

I agree, great movie. I wasn't too sure Favreau was going to do well with the action genre but he nailed it. Speaking of nailed it, Downey Jr. seemed like he was born for this part.
Dan is my name. Art is what I do.

dark77778

Post by dark77778 » Mon May 05, 2008 4:58 pm

Dan Santat wrote:Speaking of nailed it, Downey Jr. seemed like he was born for this part.
What, because he's playing a rich alcoholic? :roll: I'm joking of course, I think he's an amazing actor. Loved him in Chaplin.

Dan Santat

Post by Dan Santat » Mon May 05, 2008 7:02 pm

If there are Downey Jr. fans out there I can't stress enough that you should all rent KISS KISS, BANG BANG. Val Kilmer is also in it and he's also really good.
Dan is my name. Art is what I do.

Harry Myland (IV)

Post by Harry Myland (IV) » Mon May 05, 2008 10:05 pm

I was thoroughly surprised - I certainly didn't walk into the theater expecting Iron Man to be what it is. I saw it at 10:30am opening day and the place was fairly busy - and the idea of, "My GOD I want to be Tony Stark" echoed the theater as I left.

Saying that, is it me or are all the Marvel characters films ending in the same fashion? One on one(ish) fight, the costume gets torn to hell, the villain kind of screws himself over, blah blah blah.

I can't say this is my favorite super hero movie, but I'm really happy I saw it.

And yeah, Mr. Santat, KISS KISS, BANG BANG is an awesome flick. If you haven't seen it... uh.. see it :)
NOMAD TOFU (updates M/W/F... it's about a goofy nomad who causes disaster everywhere he goes.)

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Tue May 06, 2008 1:34 am

Yep, a very good film. Some missed opportunities on the storytelling of the third act keep the film from being great, but overall it's really solid and I really enjoyed it.

dark77778

Post by dark77778 » Tue May 06, 2008 3:55 am

My roomie is a big Iron Man fan so I'm waiting to see it with him before he goes back to Boston.

Azzamckazza

Post by Azzamckazza » Thu May 08, 2008 1:43 am

?? Did I see the same movie? I'm not understanding the hype over this film at all.

First of all - Downey was great. A pleasure to watch. The suit looked cool.

and that's about it.

Nothing happens! Ironman himself does bugger all. There was a tiny little bit of action when he first takes out the terrorists and then a big transformers like fight scene at the end and that was it. There was too much talking and not enough biffo. That's what we go to see a superhero film for.

I'm citing the extreme lack of quality adventure cinema as the reason so many people are liking this film. Had it been released around X-men time or when spiderman first came out it would not be getting the props it has been.

Stick a fork in the superhero genre - it's done. Nothing will match The Incredibles.

Bring on Wall-E I say.
ImageImage

matthewart

Post by matthewart » Sat May 10, 2008 3:34 pm

Izzy and I just saw it last night. I was very entertained. Robot vs Robot action at its finest... and how bout that glowing heart metaphor... pretty snazzy.
[email protected]

"We are the music makers, We are the dreamers of dreams" ~ Arthur O'Shaughnessy

Ainsmar

Post by Ainsmar » Sat May 24, 2008 11:33 am

I was more impressed with how they managed to update Iron Man. I mean Iron Man fights communists and is all gun-ho capitalist.

In the movie they switched the communists to dirty corporate dealers who were selling to 'terrorists' (They weren't terrorists, they were just stupid guys who had a thing for being ass holes).

My only major complaint was that we never got to see Tony in the Iron Man suit for that long. 'Course they are planning a second one (or just maybe the avengers) and I hope we get to see more Iron Man action.