Beowulf (in 3D)

Discuss films.
kyle-latino

Beowulf (in 3D)

Post by kyle-latino » Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:36 pm

I saw Beowulf (in 3D) on Friday. I enjoyed it. I felt like I got my entertainment dollar out of it; however, that is not to say that it is beyond my presumptuous snobbery. Haha

PROS:
1) The most ambitious CG movie yet. Not only were the environments and character models life-like, the main characters were actually convincingly modeled after their voices. That takes guts.

2) Beyond epic level action. Yeah, there probably was a little too much jumping around for my taste, but whatchugonnado?

3) Brilliant delivery of premise and themes in solid three act format. I always knew where I was in the movie because it was clear which act I was in. The characters all had purpose and motivation throughout the whole movie.

4) The presence of Olde Englishe. Another really gutsy move.

CONS:
1) I am again disappointed that another leap forward in cinema technology and method is anchored to titillation. The same thing goes for Sin City. The overall story and achievements of this film will forever live in the shadow of Angelina's naked CG boobs.

2) Act 1 of the story was The Grinch Who Stole Christmas. Just watch the movie, you'll see.

3) Open ending. If I wanted to use my imagination, I wouldn't be at the movies. Haha

4) Obnoxious 3D panning and fly-by's. Yes, I know it was only a problem because I was wearing the 3D glasses, but seriously. Not only was everything in every scene constantly jabbing me in the eye, but the camera was always spinning around and panning this way and that. Maybe it's just because I'm an old man at the age of 22, but just take it down a notch. The first pull back from the hall to the cave was just too much, and it didn't stop there.

webcomic: dinopartycomics.com
deviantart: kyle-latino.deviantart.com

DarkWriter31

Re: Beowulf (in 3D)

Post by DarkWriter31 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:46 am

[quote="kyle-latino"]I saw Beowulf (in 3D) on Friday. I enjoyed it. I felt like I got my entertainment dollar out of it; however, that is not to say that it is beyond my presumptuous snobbery. Haha

[b]CONS:[/b]
1) I am again disappointed that another leap forward in cinema technology and method is anchored to titillation. The same thing goes for Sin City. The overall story and achievements of this film will forever live in the shadow of Angelina's naked CG boobs.

2) Act 1 of the story was The Grinch Who Stole Christmas. Just watch the movie, you'll see.

3) Open ending. If I wanted to use my imagination, I wouldn't be at the movies. Haha

4) Obnoxious 3D panning and fly-by's. Yes, I know it was only a problem because I was wearing the 3D glasses, but seriously. Not only was everything in every scene constantly jabbing me in the eye, but the camera was always spinning around and panning this way and that. Maybe it's just because I'm an old man at the age of 22, but just take it down a notch. The first pull back from the hall to the cave was just too much, and it didn't stop there.[/quote]

I agree with these comments. Maybe Beowulf, or at least that part of the story, was an inspiration to Dr. Seuss when he wrote the orginial story. Beowulf was written A LONG time before The Grinch.

I felt so sorry for Grendal though.

It did seem though that they were trying to shove it in your face that they were doing this in 3D. It seemed though that they were using the 3D for the most part to give a depth to images that couldn't be achieved before. That's what blew me away about it.

Angelina's boobs were the reason for going 3D like this I think. :D

Adam
"Show me a hero and I'll write you a tragedy." - F. Scott Fitzgerald

http://onethirsty.blogspot.com (My writings and ramblings.)