J.J. Abram's Giant Monster Flick...Cloverfield

Discuss films.
jshamblin

Post by jshamblin » Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:28 am

You both made excellent points. I'm still a little weary of it. I guess if it does well, I'll be there with everyone else.

Building on what Neil touched on, wouldn't it be interesting if only the scenes with the monster in it were shot with a home video camera?

gau dog

Post by gau dog » Sun Jul 29, 2007 4:14 pm

It's an invisible monster! Looks interesting but I wouldn't want to sit through an intentional amateurishly shot movie from the point of view of annoying yuppies either... unless the monster kills them all. I remember the vague American Godzilla teaser in '98 and that seemed kind of exciting. Imagine my disappointment...

nateomedia

Post by nateomedia » Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:14 am

A new trailer for Cloverfield has been posted! Still no clue as to what the monster is. Kind of neat how they blurred the soldier's head about half-way through.

Tony

Post by Tony » Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:08 pm

I'm really looking forward to this. I love Godzilla.

(Though if this turns out to be one big tease with no actual content (*ahem*, LOST - I'm looking at you!) then that's going to be disappointing. Will wait for reviews. Neat concept, though! I loved the teaser trailer. The new trailer? Not so much.)

Poor-Alaska

Post by Poor-Alaska » Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:29 pm

i too am looking forwartd to this movie

... the monster might just be the polar bear from lost

hehe

SonOfaRich

Post by SonOfaRich » Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:26 am

Part of me really likes this film, but the other part of me just wants to throw up all over the floor. I would definitely call this The Blair Witch Project meets Godzilla (the Roland Emmerich version).

Whole entire film was shot with handheld through one of the character's camcorder, who is documenting this monstrous event. I'd recommend people to sit further back in the theater if they can't handle the intense camera movement. Not for the people who get motion sickness easily.

Despite the purposely bad camerawork (which doesn't seem forced), I thought it was quite effective as a film. The story was quite engaging and barely lets up on the pace. It's quite ingenius to have done a monster movie this way, and i'm sure those Blair Witch guys are kicking themselves for not have done something like this sooner. One thing I am worried about though is the rebirth of another Blair Witch movement. This opens some doors to many amateur filmmakers now. I can already picture a Blair Witch Sci Fi movie, a Blair Witch romantic comedy, a Blair Witch Comic Book movie, and a Blair Witch Die Hard film.
Intergalactic proton powered electrical tentacle advertising droids!!!!!

dik pose

Post by dik pose » Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:31 pm

SPOILERS!!!!

I thought Cloverfield is a forgettable movie... it had a few shots that were interesting, like when everyone is in the electronic store watching the tv's. But on a whole, it was a boring movie. The most tense part was in the subway system, otherwise, I was looking at my watch, and seeing as it was only 80 minutes, thats bad news.... this could have been a 10 minute short.

The plot was nonexistent, the character of Hud, I wanted him to DIE immediately. JJ Abrams does it again (a la Lost) He hyped something and then gives no answers, no development, no satisfaction whatsoever.

Here is a fun fact I just read... "...Director Matt Reeves has stated that if they do a sequel, it might take place during the same monster attack, but seen from another camera."

Wouldn't that be cool!!!!??? Another film, with no answers, no development and no satisfaction!!! HURRAY!

I do have to say, I like the acting by the main male lead, Rob. He pulled off the emotions well. Thin plot, thin acting, but he did a good job chasing the girl he couldn't stop thinking of. I think my favorite part of the film was after his brother died. some of Rob's reactions almost made me care... then it got boring again.

I would have much preferred if the final shot was them in the helicopter and looking down and seeing the monster get obliterated by superior western technology.... Then at least I would have some sort of ending... a good one, not the crappy one they give us.

JJ, you tricked me again... jerk!

Joseph Park

Post by Joseph Park » Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:37 pm

Richard... I don't think this movie suppose to have a "plot". After all, the whole concept of the movie was that it was filmed like a documentuaty from a hand held camera. It's hard to get character development, when the whole story took place in one night.

dik pose

Post by dik pose » Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:09 pm

Thats why I think it should have been a short film. Or a series of short films...

If the plot is super thin, then they could have had better characters... I just think it was too thin all over.

The monster design was cool, the little monsters were cool, but I never really felt like these things were a real threat (except in the subway)...

Oh well, cant please everyone all of the time right?

SonOfaRich

Post by SonOfaRich » Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:21 pm

Actually I wasn't a big fan of the monsters design. I thought it looked like a slightly modified Emmerich Godzilla. Just wondering, was it shooting fireballs in the beginning? Because it never seemed to do it later on.
Intergalactic proton powered electrical tentacle advertising droids!!!!!

Gunwhale

Post by Gunwhale » Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:05 pm

I kind of liked the supposed production sketches of the monster on Google better. It looked like a mutant whale with legs.
Image Image

jcaffoe

Post by jcaffoe » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:41 pm

This was the most fun I've had at the theater in a long time.

I thought all of the characters were perfectly fleshed out, all of them served their purpose, the acting was great, and the self-contained story really worked. And honestly, for one night, they all had some great development along the way.

As far as saying there isn't a plot, that's just garbage. If you were hoping for some asinine explanation as to why a monster suddenly crawled out of the ocean and was attacking New York, or maybe a Michael Bay-esque military solution to the problem, you're entirely missing the point of the film. It was a simple plot in a complex situation, and I think that came across perfectly.

Honestly, by the end of the film, I didn't care what the monster was, or where it came from, or how they eventually stopped it.

I was TERRIFIED during this film, half because of the creature and half because the creature may keep Rob from saving Beth. I think that's exactly what J.J. Abrams was aiming for.

dik pose

Post by dik pose » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:28 pm

Since you think my comment of thin/nonexistant plot is garbage, is it fair to say that I think you saying the characters were perfectly fleshed out, and the acting was great is garbage? YEE HAW! (I did like the Rob actor, he did a good job for the most part)

And for the record, I hate Micheal Bay, and I also dont need to know that the thing came from space or anything. I wanted more threat from the monster(s), I wanted the characters to go through more of a trial than just people dying. I think everything was too easy, yeah people died, but I didnt care that they died, they were flat.

Here is the main thing I am finding out.. people either loved this film, or thought it was not horrible, but not really good.

To the people who love this movie, that is great, I wish I could join you.. I just cant. This makes me worried that Star Trek is gonna suck... I hope I am wrong about that.

aoi_tori

Post by aoi_tori » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:52 pm

I don't believe the monster was shooting fireballs at the beginning. It was most likely an oil tank explosion triggered by the monster's attack.

Overall, I liked the movie a lot. It's interesting to watch a monster flick from the POV of regular folks trying to survive (instead of the stereotypical "heroes" trying to stop the creature). The plot isn't extraordinary, but the way things were unfold kept me on the edge of my seat the entire time.

And there ARE backstories littered all over the net (this is J.J. Abrams after all...viral marketing is his forte). I don't want to spoil it too much, but google "Slusho" if you're truly curious and have lots of free time to spare. It sucks that we have to work to get these clues, but it just makes the story that much creepier.

jcaffoe

Post by jcaffoe » Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:19 pm

dik pose wrote:Since you think my comment of thin/nonexistant plot is garbage, is it fair to say that I think you saying the characters were perfectly fleshed out, and the acting was great is garbage? YEE HAW! (I did like the Rob actor, he did a good job for the most part)
hahaha, yes that is absolutely fair. Agree to disagree.

and honestly I think you have a fair criticism to begin with. Some people are going to hate the plot. What irritates me is that there are a lot of people on the net who wanted explanations for the monster or a sequel shot in a more conventional style, which I think is ridiculous.