FLIGHT

Flight 8 in stores Summer 2011 - www.flightcomics.com
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:12 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Clone Wars
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:18 pm 

Is this movie... bad?\

Was this movie written by the Super Friends guys?

I do think it's funny, though, that the sound-alike voice actor for Anakin is better than Hayden Christensan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:18 am 

I think it depends on your feelings about Star Wars. If you liked the prequels, you'll probably like the movie. If not, then you probably won't.

It's very kid friendly. I saw it opening day with my friend and most of the people in the theater were 8 to 13 year old boys and their dads (which I thought was awesome, personally).

The more I watched the more I liked the art style. Everything has a painted look to it, and it becomes really evident on the big screen. You can see almost like, brush strokes on the characters' faces, and some of the locales are breathtaking.

On the flip side, the story is definitely designed for the small screen and drags in places. Plus, there's a Truman Capote Hutt. Seriously, it's frightening.

I dunno, I'd give it either a really strong C or a really weak B. A lot of people hate it, but a lot of people are hating anything to do with Star Wars, so, I guess it really depends where your feelings stand with the franchise.

In any event, this is going to be a pretty ridiculous TV show in terms of quality. I had to keep reminding myself that this was designed for the small screen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:17 pm 

I still have a hard time getting my head around the fact that this series was already done in 2D, and then most of those guys get the rug pulled out from underneath them when George decides to let the 3D guys take that almost same exact premise, and put it on the big screen.

Talk about a slap in the face.

I personally feel that the animated series which is already produced will be better then the movie.

That being said, I've yet to see the movie (perhaps as a personal, bias boycott to the whole "3D is supposed to outshine 2D" deal.) I think I'll wait for the DVD.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:29 pm 

I personally thought that the 2d 5 min. episode cartoons, were better then all three prequels combined. They were extremely well done, well animated, had solid voice acting, and kept me very entertained.

I can't bring myself to go see this movie. I just can't.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:41 am 

I saw this at Siggraph. Jabba's transvestite uncle was by far the best thing in it. It looks like it could be entertaining enough on TV for 20 minutes (although nowhere near as good as the 2D series), but I just don't think it was meant to be in theaters. The constant battling got to be a bit wearing and busy to watch. But it was also hard to watch the exposition/emotion parts because the lip sync doesn't really line up and the acting doesn't really hold up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:40 am 

I do agree that the texture work was very nice, but I thought the animation was stiffer than it should have been in the characters. Plus, they owe a lot of their art direction to the character designs stolen from Genndy Tartakovsky.

And just because something is made for kids doesn't mean it gets to be lower quality. The original Star Wars films were intended for children, too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:51 pm 

its bad. :|

for me its the worst star wars movie.
in 2d, all of the actions are more exagerrated, far more exciting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:02 pm 

i just saw this and you know, maybe it's because i've had the tv series to get used to the style and animation or because of how hard everyone has been bashing it, but i really didn't think it was that bad. sure, the plot was pretty dumb and jabba's uncle is probably the worst star wars character ever (why oh why did lucas or whoever think he was a good idea?), but the movie was eighty percent action! and i thought those sequences were really fun.

i think the main problem is that it was presented in the theater as a movie when in fact it was more like three episodes of the series smashed together. still, watching this at home, on the comfort of my own couch, i enjoyed it.

EDIT: oh yeah- and i totally agree that nothing will come close to ever beating the original tartakovsky 2-d eps. those were the best things that came out of the prequel trilogy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:19 pm 

I actually liked this one. It should have been released as individual epiodes, but it was fun seeing it in the theater.

I looooooove the TV series, though.

-Otis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:24 am 

I dont think the Clone Wars film nor the series is any good.
I wanted to like both of them, as like a few of the previous posts say, the art direction is really good. Even if Genndy Tartakovsky didnt get a mention.

I think the main flaw in the films and the series is that they are stories in the middle of a much bigger story to which the audience already knows, not only the beginning but also the end.

If they had taken a story set in that time frame but based much more around the clone troops - as in the game Republic Commando - it would be far more succesful as a story in it's own right. As they would be relatively new characters but in a familiar environment.

Since both film and series follow the Jedi very closely it feels pointless.