One Day: a comic-thing

Post comics.
jose

One Day: a comic-thing

Post by jose » Sun Dec 14, 2003 5:32 am

It's part mural, part comic book, I guess. It's about 8 feet long, done in one of those sketchbooks that has 'accordian-style' pages.
The reason I say it's 'comic-like' is that there are intertwining storylines and reoccuring characters that change. There's one 'story' that's about 2 gods, where the bald headed god leaves the 3 eyed god (you can see them a few times pretty well in picture 4) once he sees how violent she is (she is excited about a plane crash, picture 1). The 3-eyed god gets sad and mad and causes a fiery dragon to attack the city. There's another story about a couple having a baby (you can see the powerful vaginal explosion in the third picture), but the baby floats away into the air. The 3 eyed god then takes care of the baby, and the bald-headed god comes back. It all doesn't make an incredible amount of sense, but I made it so that, when it's read like a real book rather than seen all at once, time passes and the characters change.

Hupselipup

Post by Hupselipup » Sun Dec 14, 2003 5:55 am

That certainly looks interesting. Is it a design for an actual mural? Is there any chance that you are going to scan it all in and put it online, all 8 feet of it.....? I know its a lot but I wouldn't mind the scrolling in exchange for a better look.

jose

Post by jose » Sun Dec 14, 2003 9:15 am

hupselipup wrote:That certainly looks interesting. Is it a design for an actual mural? Is there any chance that you are going to scan it all in and put it online, all 8 feet of it.....? I know its a lot but I wouldn't mind the scrolling in exchange for a better look.
It's actually a christmas present:] I would like to scan it, but I won't have the chance before I give it away. I would've like to scan it, though :/

neil

Post by neil » Sun Dec 14, 2003 11:13 am

You should at least photocopy it before you get rid of it! It looks really nice...

Phil McAndrew

Post by Phil McAndrew » Sun Dec 14, 2003 5:31 pm

that is a lot like some of the giant story scrolls ive seen from....india? i think it was india. my senior year in highschool the art department went on a field trip to a museum where they had these huge mural-like scrolls on display. i guess they would paint them and then carry them around from village to village and tell the stories through song while holding up the mural/scrolls.

awesome work! i really do enjoy it......and if anyone knows exactly where in the world i was thinking of, feel free to correct me....

jose

Post by jose » Sun Dec 14, 2003 5:33 pm

I think several cultures did things like this. I know Indigenous cultures in South and Central America told histories on folded skin/paper like this. They call this style of sketchbook "japanese," so I guess the Japanese used paper like this as well.

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Sun Dec 14, 2003 5:39 pm

Really neat stuff, Jose! And yeah, you should really photocopy it at least.

You should also check out some of the work from some of the local LA area artists, like Souther Salazar and Martin Cendreda. I went to a Giant Robot art show featuring Souther's work the other day, and it had that great doodle narrative style going.

BlindingForce

Post by BlindingForce » Thu Dec 18, 2003 2:25 pm

Scrolls were done in japan and china, as well as other place I'm sure. I took an art history course last semester that covered a vast range of scrolls and the like. It's one of the more interesting periods of art history IMO...especially the wood cuts. They usually read from right to left, like current literature, and tell a chronologic story in parts. You would never unscroll the entire piece. It's mean to be viewed in sections which is why if you do unscroll them you'd see funky point of perspective.

They were geniuses. I can appreciate a project like this having made a few myself this semester. One that I made, a serialized story, was 90 inches by 5 and the covers had to be made as well. I didn't have a printer to do it so it's on glossy instead of matte...the only thing available. Somebody emailed me about buying it but I lost my mail when I made a change to my settings. Books were never something I made or had an interest in making, especially under a deadline...but now that I'm out of school I may just do more. Great work. :) The one I did is on my site if you want to check it out. I always felt that accordian was a cheap way of getting out of a complex book but then I thought...to hell with it. Some of the more complex projects may be that but they're no better.
Anthony Schiavino

Designer Blinding Force Productions
Mass Market Designer/Assistant TOR Books

w3nis

Post by w3nis » Sat Dec 27, 2003 4:36 am

jose why do i have to keep running into you at every place on the internet

douglas a. bot

Post by douglas a. bot » Sat Dec 27, 2003 5:32 am

This is very cool Jose. James Jean is doing something very similar with his covers to Fables and Batgirl...not as long...but still quite unique.

This would look great stretched around the walls of a room like a comic frieze.

d.