Coffee Table Comics

Post comics.
Jason_Brubaker

Coffee Table Comics

Post by Jason_Brubaker » Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:43 pm

Hey there, This is my first time posting any of my own work here and I'm curious what others may think of it. I'm trying to do the whole self-publish thing and I'd love to start connecting with other comic artists who have done the same.

Anyway, here is the cover to my 3rd issue of "Phobos" which will be a print on demand comic. I'd love to show some pages if anyone is interested in seeing them. Please let me know what you think. Any feedback would be great.

Mr. Average

Re: Coffee Table Comics

Post by Mr. Average » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:40 pm

Wow! I'm glad you fixed that link because this is pretty darn cool-looking! It has a little Ralph Steadman style to it that I completely dig! Very Gonzo!

--M
Image Image

Jason_Brubaker

Post by Jason_Brubaker » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:43 pm

Thanks Mr. Average. I appreciate the reply. I am not familiar with Ralph Steadman but now I will check him out to see what you are talking about.

Joost

Post by Joost » Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:37 am

This is looking really good! Love to see those pages!

Jason_Brubaker

Post by Jason_Brubaker » Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:46 am

Thanks Joost! I'll try to post some pages this weekend. I really appreciate your compliment! It keeps me motivated.

Jason_Brubaker

Post by Jason_Brubaker » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:36 am

Here are the first few pages from Phobos #1. I was going to just post Phobos #3 pages but I don't want everyone to be totally confused by the story. I'll keep posting new pages every few weeks. Thanks for looking and please let me know what you think.

Edit: sorry I removed the pages so I could update them.
Last edited by Jason_Brubaker on Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

d_woo77

Post by d_woo77 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:47 pm

LOL :D These are awesome!! Has this comic hit the news stands yet?

Jason_Brubaker

Post by Jason_Brubaker » Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:20 pm

I'm glad you like it D_woo77. The first 2 issues ARE out but only a few comic stores have them because I never sent it to a distributor like Diamond.
The first two issues are available at: http://coffeetablecomics.com

The first issue is printed on a press with a limited print run. The rest of the issues are all going to be print-on-demand through Ka-Blam.com. Issue 3 is being printed right now and I should be getting the proof in a few weeks. Thanks again for your comment! I'll post more pages next week.

Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:36 pm

Looks less like Steadman inside, but I still dig it! A very sharp, clean look that belies the satirical storylines. I dig it!

Ralph Steadman, by the way, was the cartoonist/artist who illustrated the books and articles written by Hunter S. Thompson, most notably Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas and The Kentucky Derby Is Decadent and Depraved. I believe you'd know his work if you saw it - it's highly recognizable, and has inspired (and been copied by) many artists.

http://www.ralphsteadman.com/

--M
Image Image

Jason_Brubaker

Post by Jason_Brubaker » Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:00 pm

Thanks for the link to Ralph Steadman. I dug around his site for a while looking at all his crazy stuff. I really like the feel of it too. I've seen his work all over the place but never put a name to it. Thanks for the great info.

I'm also glad you like the inside pages of Phobos. I hate it when a cover deceives you into thinking it's one thing and the interiors are completely different. The newer issues are definitely more polished then the first one so please keep checking back to see more. Thanks again for your feedback!

Jason_Brubaker

Post by Jason_Brubaker » Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:52 pm

Here are more pages from Phobos #1.

edit - removed pages for updating.
Last edited by Jason_Brubaker on Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:15 pm

Hey Jason! Good to see you here posting your comics! :D

Seth Wolfshorndl

Post by Seth Wolfshorndl » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:11 am

Actually, I think this looks like a looser Todd McFarlane, especially the first couple of pages. I really dig the humor! That mad scientist's hair is wild. What print on demand place are you using?
Image Image

Jason_Brubaker

Post by Jason_Brubaker » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:44 am

Thanks Kazu! I've really been having fun in your forum. What you have done in the comics world is very inspiring.

Seth - Well, you hit the nail on the head with the "looser Todd McFarlane" comment. I was trying to imitate the look of Spawn in those first few pages, then turn him into to worthless vampire. Glad you like the humor though. I'm never really sure if it's funny to others.

I'm using http://Ka-blam.com

I've printed two book with Ka-Blam and I'm VERY happy with them so far. The trades they make are especially good looking and good quality printing too.

Seth Wolfshorndl

Post by Seth Wolfshorndl » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:16 am

Yeah, we've used them for several books now, and have always had a good experience. Are you selling these through their Indy Planet store?
Image Image