UK Rising Stars of Manga entry (finalist)

Post comics.
geckochan

UK Rising Stars of Manga entry (finalist)

Post by geckochan » Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:08 am

Hello everyone!
I've been internet-less for a long time (very sad T_T) and have missed all the inspiration I get from you talented bunch!

Tokyopop recently ran it's third UK version of Rising Stars of Manga, and although I didn't place in the end, I did get to the finals. All the finalists are still on the website for a little while, if anyone wants to check them out (there's some really good work among them!)

http://www.tokyopop.com/RSOM_PeoplesCho ... 16303.html

Feedback very welcome on mine. Thanks!

Andre

Post by Andre » Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:31 pm

Just kind of flipped through [it's llaaaaate], but it looks like you have your own sense of style.....I really liked the shift to pencil work on one of the later pages. It felt a little boxy, mabye bring the vertical borders a little narrower while keeping the horizontal ones wider? And try to vary panel size a little more for those kind of things.... still, pretty solid overall. I'd also suggest varying camera angles a little more- your figure work looks comfortable enough , but one or two larger closeups would be nice. Will comment more later :) Congrats, and keep at it! I know a number of runnerups who've gotten publishing deals later on, with TP and other pubs...

TmDurn7

Post by TmDurn7 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:52 am

firstly congrats! that is a pretty awesome honor and a great way to have your worked showcased. anyway, i really like pg 4

geckochan

Post by geckochan » Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:23 pm

Very late reply (sorry, Christmas holiday etc), but wanted to say thanks for the feedback!
Andre, that's very true that my work's a bit boxy and static. I tried your suggestion for panel borders and tried to vary things a bit more in a more recent piece (although I still think my work comes across as a bit sedentary) - thank you for the help!