Toot Comic

Post comics.
Mike Laughead

Toot Comic

Post by Mike Laughead » Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:57 pm

I started this a few months ago (my baby daughter in the comic is now 6 months old and much bigger and more active). Sadly this actually happened.
Last edited by Mike Laughead on Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Laughead

MikeLaughead.com

andrewwales

Post by andrewwales » Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:38 pm

Looks familiar! Great comic!

Muffin

Post by Muffin » Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:21 pm

that is the cutest drawn baby ever, Mike. She looks so small and fragile and I'm dieing just to pick her up. I really like this! Make some more. (:

nateomedia

Post by nateomedia » Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:20 am

Looks great. Your style looked familiar to me too and I've been trying to figure out whose work it was reminding me of and I finally got it! Marc Hempel!

Not that that's a bad thing, the world could do with some more Hempel-esque work in it. :)

Mike Laughead

Post by Mike Laughead » Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:53 am

I've seen Hempel's stuff before, but I never identified the artist. I totally see the similarities and I love his linework. Maybe I should steal more from him...
Mike Laughead

MikeLaughead.com

andrewwales

Post by andrewwales » Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:35 pm

I actually meant that the scenario was familiar, the baby farting and getting blamed for it. I've never heard of Hempel, but I googled him and I do see the resemblance, on ly Laughed is more laid back.

Mike Laughead

Post by Mike Laughead » Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:00 pm

I just realized that those big hardback books we are reading are Harry Potter books. I think we were re-reading all of them to get ready for the last one (which I really enjoyed and even got a little teary-eyed in the epilogue). Our two-year old daughter was taking a nap during the "comic time".

Side note: Eva, the two year old, just said "Eva's Moving Castle!" Which is awesome! And now she wants to watch the Miyazaki movie.
Mike Laughead

MikeLaughead.com

nateomedia

Post by nateomedia » Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:29 pm

Sorry if it came across that I thought you were stealing from Hempel. I thought it was more likely that you were channelling his ghost because he's dead isn't he? Oh wait, no, he just hasn't published anything in a while... :(

Anyway, it was meant to be a complement. Your drawing reminds me of Craig Thompson too, so there.

Mike Laughead

Post by Mike Laughead » Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:23 pm

I meant stealing in the "I'm acknowledging that I have taken something this artist does and I now use it as my own." I have a sarcastic way of saying things and it doesn't come across as well when I type. I know that you meant nothing bad. I do enjoy Craig Thompson but I get tired of using ink and brush for everything like he does.
Mike Laughead

MikeLaughead.com

andrew fulton

Post by andrew fulton » Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:30 pm

that's a super cute strip, Mike. I remember when my kid's were that small, and I could actually, y'know, read books and stuff... sigh.

Marc Hempel is great, someone we should probably all steal from. His run on Sandman was one of my favourites. He gets a little more geometric in his figures though, and can sometimes get a little cold and abstract. Craig Thompson is almost right on the other side, all noodly and stuff, but both have that great chunky line.