A World War 2 Comic I'm working on...

Post comics.
twconstantine

A World War 2 Comic I'm working on...

Post by twconstantine » Fri May 18, 2007 9:48 am

It's still in the pencil phase right now, but I would like to get some opinions so far before I put the inking in and make it permanent! Any help would be great! Thanks!

Tracy

McGibs

Post by McGibs » Fri May 18, 2007 5:13 pm

Its got an interesting style going (especially in the faces), but I think its lacking in consistancy. I'm finding it really hard to tell characters apart (the 'sarge' looks different every frame)

It also has alot of technical problems, which any war buff will ding you on, regardless of comic style. If you're going to do a ww2 comic, its always good to do your homework.

1st thing that strikes me is the american's genreal positioning. When in combat, you never see guys leaning up against walls like that, especially when theyre pinned. Theyd be hunched over, close to the ground, with thier weapons at the ready. Theyre way too relaxed to be taking fire.
2nd thing is the german grenadier. Took me a while to figure out what he was actually doing (throwing a grenade), you should strongly think about redrawing those panels to make it more clear as to whats happning (a side shot perhaps).
Also, grenades dont go "tick tick tick". They have burning fuses, not a clock.

twconstantine

Post by twconstantine » Sat May 19, 2007 10:52 am

Thanks for the advice. That's just the help I'm looking for. I'll have to look into history more. The short story is going to be taking a quick left turn from any historical accuracy here in just a little bit anyway. McGibs, I checked out your gallery...I have to say, I'm quite impressed with your work. You have some serious talent. As far as the positioning goes, I am looking for more of a phoney "tough guy" type crew, like the Dirty Dozen...if that makes any sense! I have another page, if anyone is interested.

KidVideo

Post by KidVideo » Thu May 24, 2007 2:24 pm

thats really cool, i see they're from easy company..thats so awesome..band of brothers rules

KidVideo

Post by KidVideo » Thu May 24, 2007 2:26 pm

thats really cool, i see they're from easy company..thats so awesome..band of brothers rules

twconstantine

World War II Comic...First two pages with color

Post by twconstantine » Thu May 24, 2007 2:36 pm

Here are the first two pages with color. I hope you guys like it!

Also, for those who care. Page 5 pencils

Thanks for your comment KidVideo. I'm glad you noticed the Easy Company Logo! I thought of the story when I was watching Band of Brothers. I know, that I don't have all the history down, but...I'm having fun.

KidVideo

Post by KidVideo » Thu May 24, 2007 3:23 pm

I can't wait to see page 5, looks even better than the other ones!

Seth Wolfshorndl

Post by Seth Wolfshorndl » Thu May 24, 2007 8:52 pm

I like your overall style. It's loose, cartoony, and fun. Which is kind of different for a war comic, but it sounds like this won't be your typical war story.

One thing...to me, the grass looks too blue-tinted and detailed. It seems to stand out too much with everything else being pretty much flat colors. That Photoshop grass brush is sweet, but it may not be the best choice here, just to avoid distraction.

Looks good, overall though!

-Seth
Image Image

twconstantine

World War II Comic...New Page 5-30-07

Post by twconstantine » Wed May 30, 2007 10:22 pm

Here is page 6 pencils. Critiques please!

Also, I've made some changes to the first page, here is the new one.

twconstantine

World War II Comic, Page 7 (6.7.07)

Post by twconstantine » Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:40 pm

Here is Page 7...I'm at the point now in my creative process where I'm sick of the first few pages. What I'm thinking is that the first page needs to be redrawn with the bottom panel from a lower angle. What do you think?

Page 7

KidVideo

Post by KidVideo » Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:41 pm

i like how you re-did the grass for the first pages, looks really good..i liked it before but it looks even better now..i can't wait to see the new pages inked up and colored looks really cool!