French Graphic Novels

General Discussion
Grasshopper

French Graphic Novels

Post by Grasshopper » Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:11 pm

I purchased Meka and a couple other french graphic novels off the internet, any was suprised by their format. They huge 9 1/2 x 12 1/2 inches hardbound books, freakin awesome :D . Here in the United States there aren't that many hardback graphic novels, and I've never seen one as large as these.

The majority of graphic novels in the US are about 7 x 10 inches (with most manga being 5 x 7 1/2), and are paperback. Out of curiousity what size and format are graphic novels in other countries?
I wish I was better

Nofret

Post by Nofret » Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:30 pm

Hmmm...kinda hard to say.
A line of french book has a format that's almost completely square. I also have some french comics that are slightly bigger and don't fit in quite the same space as others. Many italians fumettis are halfway between a US comic and a manga one. Manga wise, I just got familiar with the "bunko" format: slightly smaller, but with lots more pages. I know there are more formats in Japan, but I'm not that familiar with them.

Definitely more book sizes around than we'd think.

B Moore

Post by B Moore » Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:42 pm

There have been some interesting posts about BD (BD marketing, royalty pitfalls for artists, BD vs manga, etc.) on Warren Ellis' Engine messageboard today:

http://www.the-engine.net/forum/index.p ... sg=2338.29

(The board software is a little weird - the interface takes some getting used to. But some interesting discussions going on.)
Brian
ImageImage