Can't get those colors right! Help! (Printing)

General Discussion
RentAHero

Can't get those colors right! Help! (Printing)

Post by RentAHero » Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:14 pm

Ok, so lately as of today, I’ve been trying to print out mock children’s books, trying to figure out my layout and what have you, but my main problem is the colors are coming out very wrong when I go to print them.

I realize that every monitor is different so when I adjust colors and brightness I’m aware that they might always look different on different monitors, but when I go to print out my paintings as tiff files they look very very dark, I view my work on another monitor I have and there very similar so I dont think its a problem there, its just when the work is on paper its horribly wrong. Granted I don’t have the best printer in the world, it still shouldn’t come out that dark especially if its very light on the screen.

Does anyone have any suggestions I can do or problem solvers I can use? Do I need a new printer? Should I take my work to Kinkcos and try it there? Wrong paper? Ink? etc etc?

geckochan

Post by geckochan » Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:20 pm

It's probably some computer-y thing I don't understand, but just in case: a while ago I had to print out some stuff and it was all coming out weird colours, like hot pink, and it was because the new ink cartridges I'd bought were faulty and were leaking slightly.
Otherwise, I reckon you should get a cheap printout at kinkos or a stationary store and see if there's a big difference, or even try printing it at someone else's house - at least you'll know whether the problem is the file or the printer.

jdalton

Post by jdalton » Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:35 pm

Don't try Kinkos. They might print out the wrong colours as well, and you won't be able to experiment with colour adjustments there. The best thing would be to try a friend's printer.

Another few things you could experiment with- is your file saved as CMYK? Printing an RGB file always screws up the colours. Also, you can try fiddling with ColourSynch, which, to be honest, I've never fully understood, but it might work.
Jonathon Dalton
Image Image

jshamblin

Post by jshamblin » Sun Mar 05, 2006 4:04 pm

I think Kinkos is fine if you know what to expect. Just don't expect much. :D

What I like to do is take the basic RGB and CMYK palettes, save them as a photoshop doc and take them to a printer and have them print it out. Then go home and adjust the monitor to match the colors.

If you know the printer well, he/she might allow you to borrow (or keep older) pantone swatches to take home and match your monitor that way (which would be the best option). There are more accurate yet expensive ways to do this, but I don't know about you- I'd rather spend that money on a new package of white tube socks.

Emma

Post by Emma » Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:38 am

Might be the wrong kind of paper - if the paper absorbs the ink when it's supposed to just sit on top, the colors get really dark and mushy.