How do YOU color?!

General Discussion
chuckbb

Post by chuckbb » Sat Mar 27, 2004 1:37 pm

i dont have a wacom, you dont need a wacom.

Clank

Post by Clank » Sun Mar 28, 2004 9:24 am

Well, necessary or unnecessary, I have one. Wacom tablets aren't the point of the thread. Now how do you guys color, Kean, Mothos, chuckbb, nsoehardi and davi? :)

Stick
Flight Moderator

Post by Stick » Sun Mar 28, 2004 1:44 pm

Clank wrote:Well, necessary or unnecessary, I have one. Wacom tablets aren't the point of the thread. Now how do you guys color, Kean, Mothos, chuckbb, nsoehardi and davi? :)

if you were asking not a professional, rather a person such as.....sayyyyyyyyy......... me...

i'd have to say i colour using that little fill icon that ms-paint has... it does wonders, saves me from using that pencil all the time to fill in everything......

:shock:

would someone who's a professional answer his question already?

:D

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Sun Mar 28, 2004 2:10 pm

When I color, I think of only two things:

1) The base colors of the objects/setting. This is like picking your clothes in the morning so they look like they match. The colors of the characters' hair, clothing, etc. are decided here.

2) The way these colors are affected by the lighting in the scene. When we see things, we are only seeing the light reflected off of any given object. This is why I am perplexed to see how often I see lighting overlooked by illustrators. Essentially, when you draw something, you are simply reinterpreting the way we see light. Since it is basically all we really see, lighting is very, very important.

The final composite is a blend of these two things. I try to think ahead about what color I would like to see in the final piece (to evoke a certain mood/feeling) and think about how I can blend the base colors with the lights to achieve this look.

I come from a film background, where I did a lot of cinematography back in college, and I worked in 3D for a while, having to light and render objects in Maya to achieve a certain effect. I apply all this knowledge to the way I draw stuff. Even cartoons.

Hope that helps somehow!

Clank

Post by Clank » Sun Mar 28, 2004 3:31 pm

Thank you so much, Kazu! Hehe... Now I have another question... How do you INK your drawings? Do you do it on the computer or by hand? If you do it by hand, what kind of pens do you use? Thanks again for all of your help.

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Sun Mar 28, 2004 4:35 pm

I generally use a crow quill nib. It's a Hunt #102 to be exact. I dip it in Higgins Black Magic India Ink and I use Windex and paper towels to clean the nibs. Lately though, I haven't been doing much inking. On Daisy Kutter, I am doing all the finals with a 2B pencil, then scanning them into photoshop and raising the contrast. It has a more natural, loose feeling to it, and with the high contrast, it still looks like ink.

I do all my borders and lettering with cheap pens. Lately, I've been using the Staedtler Pigment Liner a lot. I also use this Alvin marker that has a tip that acts a little like a brush. Personally, I don't think it matters much what you decide to use. I used to draw entire comics with 10 cent BIC pens I got at the grocery store, since they acted a little like pencil but were permanent. Of course, the stuff has acid in it, so it will ruin your drawings in a few years time...

Clank

Post by Clank » Sun Mar 28, 2004 5:14 pm

Thank you so much, Kazu! One more question. I'm sorry for asking so many...

When I scan my art in and begin coloring on a new layer below the line art layer, I first have to delete all the white and leave only the lines. On the last image I colored on the computer, to delete the white I used the magic want tool. (I know it's bad, I couldn't think of any other way.) It didn't turn out very well.

How do you remove the white before coloring? Do you remove it at all?

Thank you so much again!

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Sun Mar 28, 2004 5:36 pm

Dood! Last answer, Clank... :D

I try to draw as clean as possible, so when I do scan it in, the image is clean. To get rid of the artifacts, it's best to manually go in there with a mouse or a tablet and get rid of it with a paintbrush or eraser...

But here's what you really need to know:

Don't delete the white. Just set the linework layer on "multiply". It should make all the white areas transparent and leave only your linework. Don't paint on this layer, but the one below it...

Clank

Post by Clank » Sun Mar 28, 2004 5:39 pm

Kazu wrote: Don't delete the white. Just set the linework layer on "multiply". It should make all the white areas transparent and leave only your linework.
ZEE SECRET OF ALL SECRETS HAS BEEN REVEALED!

I'm done bugging you now, Kazu. :D Thank you so much!

Monk

Post by Monk » Sun Mar 28, 2004 9:07 pm

Feh... for what it's worth:

I ink with quills too and separate the linework from the white by going to Select - Color Range and then select just the shadows, cutting them and pasting into a new layer. Then I color the layer below that where the linework used to be.

Since I'm too poor to afford either a Wacom or a decent mouse, I color areas by selecting them with the magnetic lasso. When I get all the basic colors down by just filling the areas in I can use the ol' magic wand to select and fine-tune and make it look deliberate and purposeful.

nsoehardi

Post by nsoehardi » Mon Mar 29, 2004 5:22 pm

Clank wrote:Well, necessary or unnecessary, I have one. Wacom tablets aren't the point of the thread. Now how do you guys color, Kean, Mothos, chuckbb, nsoehardi and davi? :)
Well as I said before I use vectors to do my art, so I just trace a rough sketch and go from there. Using things like Illustrator, Flash or Corel Draw, you just select the colour you want to fill the shape. If I want a shadow or highlight in a darker or lighter tone I just copy and paste the shape, then just tailor the shape to my liking.

Here's an example:

It gives you a nice clean line. You can do this in photoshop by using the magic wand and switching the selections clipping paths alter them with the pen tool and switching them back to selections and filling them.
meh. m.e.h. meh.

ChadTHX1138

Post by ChadTHX1138 » Mon Mar 29, 2004 6:42 pm

No you dont need a wacom but...it makes it so much easier and not haveing one doesnt make you a loser either.

my point really being... it doesnt matter what you do, you need to use what works best for yourself. Kazu likes crowquills and I cringe at the thought of useing them for my own reasons. it is personal taste, I had no use of a wacom early on but i now wonder how i ever work on a computer without it. it just makes tasks easier thats all. they are not cheap for sure.

Coloring is something you have to practice with and gain an eye for. It is harder for me because I am 1/3 color blind. by that i dont mean I see Black and White and gray etc. it means that I can sometimes misunderstand colors...for instance if you were to wear a dark navy blue or dark green T shirt i would have to really look at it to be able to tell if it was black or not. another screwy one i have trouble with is Flashing signal lights at night yellow and Red flashing lights mess me up because i cant tell the difference they look the same to me at a distance...so i have to know thier positions heheh

all in all you have to figure it out...not one person will be able to give you the answer you need to make you fully understand color. the more you draw and paint colr whatever... the more you understand it. It is being able to feel what your work needs...it is strange but true...you just know, it's called Instinct. so if you were more experienced and if i were to just sit down and show you any technique... you could pick it up very easily. it has to do with how far along your mind is developed. you can still pick up things in this way but will you fully comprehend it or keep doing it till you understand. Sure there are color theories that work as well...like what colors make good companions or opposites there are books on this to help. as I say all this i'll probably get reamed by someone heheh

Then art gets so much more difficult in other ways once you start finding a direction, you find yourself trying to break old habits.
Last edited by ChadTHX1138 on Mon Mar 29, 2004 7:17 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Chad Townsend

Clank

Post by Clank » Mon Mar 29, 2004 6:54 pm

Thanks for more responses, guys!

Chad- I agree that Wacoms aren't necessary, but they're helpful. About the inking, I am just too lazy to go out and buy anything besides what I have right now. I ink with Sakura Pigma Microns sizes .5 and .1. What are microns, even? I sort of like how the line width is constant...

Oh yeah, and that's gnarly about you being color blind.

ChadTHX1138

Post by ChadTHX1138 » Mon Mar 29, 2004 6:58 pm

I use Microns all the time...it is my preference. you should try everything you can. I used to love useing a brush to ink. microns are just the brand name. for me they are cheap...the ink doesnt bleed. problem is if you erase you might have to go back over it. i like useing the cheapest tools for my work. you need to play with everything you can and decide on your own whats best. it will take you a while so eventually you will get to try everything.

being colorblind can be embarrasing at times I will say hey thats a pretty color orange on that car and be told its red heheh or hey thats a nice green car and be told its gray...so then i have to really consentrate to pick up on it. I was tested for it other than that I have 20/20 vision i can see clearly. it doesnt happen all the time but when it does you would think i was insane. :D
Chad Townsend

nsoehardi

Post by nsoehardi » Mon Mar 29, 2004 8:11 pm

ChadTHX1138 wrote:all in all you have to figure it out...not one person will be able to give you the answer you need to make you fully understand color. the more you draw and paint colr whatever... the more you understand it. It is being able to feel what your work needs...it is strange but true...you just know, it's called Instinct.
I totally agree.
meh. m.e.h. meh.