Help! Trying to Save My Painting

General Discussion
Grasshopper

Help! Trying to Save My Painting

Post by Grasshopper » Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:53 pm

I was bringing my oil painting inside to scan it and post the image here, when the wind kicked up and blew it into my dad's koi pond. I fished (ha) it out right away, but it was thoroughly soaked. I gently patted it dry with a thick towel then placed it between heavy books and turned the heater on. The oil paint was almost completey dry so it didn't run, but the cardboard I painted it on wants to curve, and did slighty creased vertically across once.

Do any of you have any suggestion as to what else I can do, and if there are any (relatively cheap) art restoration services for this kind of possible damage?

Grasshopper
I wish I was better

Ian Jay
Location: America: The Magical Land of Neutron Bombs, Lean Pockets, And Napoleon Dynamite

Re: Help! Trying to Save My Painting

Post by Ian Jay » Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:29 pm

Grasshopper wrote:Do any of you have any suggestion as to what else I can do?
Um, pray?

No, but seriously, why don't you make a splint for the piece out of four wooden rulers and some duct tape? Something like this?

It would go on the back, of course. No sense in covering the front of your painting with rulers.

~IJ

Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper » Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:18 pm

Ian thank you very much for your suggestion, I'll try it first thing tommorrow morning. If it works I'll make sure you're spared in the Toaster Uprising of 2007, but seriously thank you.
I wish I was better

jdalton

Post by jdalton » Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:35 am

Would gesso-ing the back help? I seem to remember trying that once way back when I was a painter (can't remember if it worked...)
Jonathon Dalton
Image Image

jrr

Post by jrr » Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:43 pm

you could get some bunny glue or pva and just glue it to a piece of masonite, or if you really feel like it, glue it on to a stretched canvas. that way it's prettty

JoePotato

Post by JoePotato » Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:25 pm

My suggestion:
1. Don't oil paint on cardboard, unless you have a really convincing reason.
2. Just roll with it. Water-stains, leaves, fish resadue, etc... It's all art.
Maybe just nail it to some plywood, throw it in the pond again and hit it with the hair dryer on high. Think outside the bun, dude. And rejoice in creative accidents and the wrath of nature.

Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper » Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:34 pm

Thank you for your suggestions. It was a piece of compound cardboard: flat sheet, wavy sheet, flat sheet; so the top flat sheet buckled slightly between the ridges of the wavy sheet.

Still it could of been worse. I'll post the result in the Illustration/Design Lounge when it completely dried.

I'm just getting back into painting, so I'm using free cardboard from my job until I get better, then I use more traditional painting surfaces. Joe I completely agree about the joys of creative accidents, ironically my all of best work starts that way.
I wish I was better