christian comic project?

General Discussion
mr cow

christian comic project?

Post by mr cow » Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:39 am

i was just wondering how many christian comic artists there are out there- on the web and off? i had a thought on my drive home from work last night, that it would be cool to put a project together taking stories, parables, or whatever from the bible and having different artists draw their interpretation of them. in comics form of course. actually, the artists wouldn't even need to be christian as long as they had a story they wanted to tell.

i think this thought came along because i'm working on a longer cow & buffalo story right now based on noah's ark. it's probably one of the most enjoyable things i've ever worked on. partially because there's so much richness and cues for comedy in that story, but mainly because i feel like i'm serving God in my own small comic driven way.

so anyway, i thought i'd just post this to see if anyone might be interested. or even people's reactions on something like this. it could be a webcomics thing, an anthology thing, i don't know. but i think it would be fun.

-mike

foster

Post by foster » Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:05 pm

sounds neat. I'm a wanna be comic artist and a Christian. does that count? :)

DEADDUCK

Post by DEADDUCK » Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:09 pm

I also am a christian and a wanna be comiker... and like you I have thought about some kind of project like this before.

There is a publishing firm that shows up to the local comic conventions that puts out "christian comics" but they are about as bland and appealing to the eye as a blank sheet of paper...

always wondered if it would be possible to put something out that both looked good and carried the message...
Oh Good Grief!!!

Ian Jay
Location: America: The Magical Land of Neutron Bombs, Lean Pockets, And Napoleon Dynamite

Post by Ian Jay » Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:01 pm

I agree. Being a son of two Catholics who had all the religious fervor squeezed out of them in private school, I've always wondered if there was a way to present Christianity in a way that isn't annoyingly conservative yet still gets the point across. Comics could work here!

I could start this. Heck, I probably will, if I ever finally decide to write up a manifesto and start a new subsect of the Church.

~IJ

deantrippe

Post by deantrippe » Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:53 pm

just to be the voice of dissent: i dunno. it's been done before and not entirely successfully. i've met a lot of talented christian cartoonists, but just because someone can draw doesn't mean they're gonna be visual missionaries or something. its just two different skill sets.

but, i'd consider doing something, if something cool came together.

PS: creating a new subset of the church? Totally not what it needs.

Azzamckazza

Post by Azzamckazza » Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:02 pm

There's a guy here in Australia called Dean Rankine who's been doing his Aussie take on christian comics for some time. I'm not a christian and I love them. They're simple, silly and they get the point across. Plus, he's a super nice guy!

Check his comics out here, or say g'day to him on his Livejournal
ImageImage

RentAHero

Post by RentAHero » Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:20 pm

Sounds interesting.

Vince

Post by Vince » Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:37 pm

This sounds like a bigger topic than comics. I used to be very Catholic but now consider myself a sort of non-establishment Christian humanist. With some Stoicism and Jungian philosophy thrown in.

I tend to prefer subtlely conveyed messages. I think the greater amount of gravitas and overtness there is, the exponentially greater amount of sensitivity and skill is required.

That being said, I think all of us have to go about it our own ways, and if yours includes serving God with your art, by all means do so. I wouldn't participate myself, but I would be pretty interested in how it turns out. Best of luck. 8)

Dean Rankine

Post by Dean Rankine » Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:02 pm

Azzamckazza wrote:There's a guy here in Australia called Dean Rankine who's been doing his Aussie take on christian comics for some time. I'm not a christian and I love them. They're simple, silly and they get the point across. Plus, he's a super nice guy!

Check his comics out here, or say g'day to him on his Livejournal
I was wondering why I suddenly got all these hits on my website from FlightComics.Net. Thanks for posting the links and for the kind words Arran.

Mike - I think your idea sounds extremely cool. And I'd love to be involved! :D
Last edited by Dean Rankine on Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HOLY COW! Christian Comics - http://www.webcomicsnation.com/deanrankine/

Azzamckazza

Post by Azzamckazza » Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:01 am

oooo! Busted! :D
ImageImage

jdalton

Post by jdalton » Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:09 am

At the moment I'm pretty much in the "hide my light under a bushel" crowd. My own projects are leading me in different directions. Though if you can pull off such a daring scheme, you may catch me cheering from the sidelines.
Jonathon Dalton
Image Image

geckochan

Post by geckochan » Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:13 pm

I'm a Christian and often think about how to integrate the things that are most important to me into my art and writing, in a way that's original and interesting and sensitive and accesible and honest and intelligent...it's a challenge. That said, trying something is usually the better policy, and I'd be into something like that.

mr cow

Post by mr cow » Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:36 pm

thanks for all the feedback guys! some of you brought up some good points, most of which seem to be around the idea of "could we really pull something like this off?" and "it's been unsuccessful in the past".

so my answers i guess are "yes" and "so what?"

in my mind, and though i have no problem with this, is for this not to be any sort of evangelical kind of thing. that can really turn people off and that's not what i'd want to do. but, you can get a message across without preaching, and with so many great stories in the bible, why not simply just tell them? no hidden meanings, no believe this or go to hell scenarios. just good stories drawn by good artists.

and while i was writing my first post i was even thinking, "you know, i'm sure this has been done at some point". but why havn't i heard of it? or anything like this. i mean it's such a simple concept. it's a comic. it just happens to be a story from the bible. pipsqueek overcomes ridiculous odds to defeat enemy giant. right there. i bet everyone that read that already has something brewing in thier mind on how that all played out.

it would have to be a selective process. dean- you were right. just because someone can draw does not mean they are going to be visual missionaries. but, i've seen a lot of good art and and a lot of good storytelling to go a long with that art in just these flight forums alone. if some of you happen to be christians, i see no reason why those talents can't be used to communicate a short (or long) story you might remember from sunday school (not that everyone went to sunday school, but, you know).

the level of work would have be really good. there's no doubt. it also couldn't be aimed at christians. i hate that. let's show the secular crowd what a good chistian comic project can be like. it can't be bland. it can't be a sermon. but it can be a really fun read.

and from reading your replies- there's interest. which i guess was the whole reason behind my first post. i wasn't even sure if i would be interested in something like that. but, realizing what i've written here, i guess i am. more so than i thought.

but that's all that was. a thought. so where do we go from here?

and why do i wish i hadn't thought of something like this now, when i have so much else to do?

deantrippe

Post by deantrippe » Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:37 pm

mr cow wrote:and while i was writing my first post i was even thinking, "you know, i'm sure this has been done at some point". but why havn't i heard of it? or anything like this. i mean it's such a simple concept. it's a comic. it just happens to be a story from the bible. pipsqueek overcomes ridiculous odds to defeat enemy giant. right there. i bet everyone that read that already has something brewing in thier mind on how that all played out.

it would have to be a selective process. dean- you were right. just because someone can draw does not mean they are going to be visual missionaries. but, i've seen a lot of good art and and a lot of good storytelling to go a long with that art in just these flight forums alone. if some of you happen to be christians, i see no reason why those talents can't be used to communicate a short (or long) story you might remember from sunday school (not that everyone went to sunday school, but, you know).
You haven't heard of them because they've failed to gain any real level of market attention. Not soley because of the concept, but it's the truth. I've done work for a couple of projects. That said, somebody organizing something worth submitting to, and I'd be in. Though I wouldn't necessarily limit it to just Bible stories, if I were you.

Mike Laughead

Post by Mike Laughead » Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:25 am

I am very interested in this project. I think that the Bible has so many interesting and worthwhile stories that would be great for the comics medium. Something I love about the stories in the Bible, is the way that it shows how imperfect they all were. I think that most people haven't read the Bible, and don't know about Moses not being allowed to go into the promised land because he sinned, and about Peter denying Christ and stories like those. They show that these great prophets were people too, even though they did amazing and wonderful things.

I was also thinking about why those other comic projects failed. It probably has a lot to do with what people are expecting from the comics. They are expecting to have the stories secretly trying to convert them. It's a big turnoff. It reminds me of an example of a Mormon comics artist named Mike Allred (I'm Mormon too, so I was automatically predisposed to like his stuff.) He announced that he was going to do a comic adaptation of the Book of Mormon, I was reading a forum that was discussing it, and I saw comments like, "I've loved everything he did with Madman and Xstatix, but I'm just not interested in this project."

I just wanted to point out, that to make it work you would have to make it very evident that it is not preachy at all. I suggest getting someone at least semi-famous that we all know is not Christian to do a story (like Craig Thompson or Derek Kirk Kim would both be great) to show that it was about the stories and not about being preachy. And anyway, if we believe the Bible, the stories themselves preach what we know is true so we don't need to add preachyness to it.

I guess that's more than my two cents.
Mike Laughead

MikeLaughead.com