Schoolin'

General Discussion
Vince

Post by Vince » Wed Aug 17, 2005 3:12 pm

Everything I know I learned from listening to DMX songs.

Phil McAndrew

Post by Phil McAndrew » Wed Aug 17, 2005 7:29 pm

I'm about to start my third year of college, working towards a degree in illustration.

Plouffe

Post by Plouffe » Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:34 am

Look at all these people with degrees!!! too bad canada works differently. I did 4 years of college at Sheridan College. 1 year of art fundamentals and 3 years of Classical animation. Graduated 4 months ago and now im doing Visual Development work on feature animated movies.

agremar

Post by agremar » Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:24 am

Bachelor's in Comp Sci/ Art history from UCR
Masters in Art History from UCR
Ph.D Philosophy of Aesthetics from SUNY Stonybrook

I'm a really good underwater basket weaver.

Reagan

Post by Reagan » Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:25 am

I spent the last three years desperately trying to get into art college but could never afford it. Too rich to get financial aid, too poor to afford it on my own.

But I figure I can still get somewhere in life without putting myself $90,000 in debt just so I can have four years of useless prerequisite classes, drum circles, Che Guevara shirts, and maybe a visual communications class if I'm lucky.

Rocky

Post by Rocky » Tue Aug 23, 2005 5:27 am

Reagan wrote: drum circles, Che Guevara shirts

birkenstocks, hackeysacks, lots of pot, vintage clothes, people who think The Shins or Phish are the greatest bands ever, dyed hair, clothes with paint all over them, black thick rimmed glasses, cigarettes...

aw man I can't wait for school to start
:)

secretid

Post by secretid » Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:55 pm

My formal comix education consists of some life drawing classes when I was a kid, a one-semester course with David Mazzuchelli on comics storytelling at RISD (no I didn't go to RISD - just took the one class) and Scott McCloud's seminar, aka "Comics Camp."

This just goes to show that comics can be taught. Still, I could use some drawing skills. I keep saying I'm going to take another life-drawing class. But first I have to learn Spanish.

jdalton

Post by jdalton » Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:20 pm

Ooh look- a Flight forum! (stands around in awe for a minute). Um, so anyways...

I have a bachelor's degree in fine art, a teaching degree (elementary), I took Sheridan College's one-year "advanced" illustration program (glad to see some other Sheridan grads here as well), and I took a couple of those Joe Kubert correspondence courses. Out of all that the illustration course was the most helpful for comics, but even then I learned most of what I know on my own. Yeah you can be taught to draw comics, but the teacher least likely to leave you in debt is yourself.

Jonathon Dalton
A Mad Tea-Party

Rad Sechrist

re

Post by Rad Sechrist » Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:57 pm

I have a Mechanical Engineering degree from UCSB.

Joey

Post by Joey » Thu Aug 25, 2005 6:18 am

secretid wrote:My formal comix education consists of some life drawing classes when I was a kid, a one-semester course with David Mazzuchelli on comics storytelling at RISD (no I didn't go to RISD - just took the one class) and Scott McCloud's seminar, aka "Comics Camp."
Mazzuchelli came to SCAD one year for this thing we've got called Comics Art Forum. His workshop was amazing! First he told the story of Little Red Riding Hood, and then we split into groups and had to draw our own version of the story told from one of the characters' perspectives. My group thought it was particularly clever for choosing to tell it from the perspective of the rocks outside grandma's house, which eventually get sewn inside the wolf and then thrown into the river...
Visit the Tragic Planet!

Clank

Re: re

Post by Clank » Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:26 am

Rad Sechrist wrote:I have a Mechanical Engineering degree from UCSB.
I kind of want to be a mechanical engineer when I grow up, Rad. It sounds like a cool job.

I'm going to be a junior in high school this year. I'm taking an art studio class, so I hope my art skillZ will improve. On an awesome tangent, I get honors credit for the art class. YEAH!!

Rocky

Post by Rocky » Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:25 am

Joey wrote:
secretid wrote:My formal comix education consists of some life drawing classes when I was a kid, a one-semester course with David Mazzuchelli on comics storytelling at RISD (no I didn't go to RISD - just took the one class) and Scott McCloud's seminar, aka "Comics Camp."
Mazzuchelli came to SCAD one year for this thing we've got called Comics Art Forum. His workshop was amazing! First he told the story of Little Red Riding Hood, and then we split into groups and had to draw our own version of the story told from one of the characters' perspectives. My group thought it was particularly clever for choosing to tell it from the perspective of the rocks outside grandma's house, which eventually get sewn inside the wolf and then thrown into the river...
Hey we had to do that too...

mine ended up being ridiculously violent, kill bill style. One girl in our class did an interactive piece involving raw meat, dirt, and animal fur.

Rad Sechrist

re

Post by Rad Sechrist » Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:09 am

Clank: No Clank. Bad Clank... It's one thing to get your engineering degree, but a different thing to become an engineer. An engineering degree is a cool thing to have if you want to become anything other than an engineer. For instance, it will help you alot if you want to go to law school, or start your own company. But being an engineer is very boring, and doesn't pay very well.

If you want to draw and design things, you should go to a design school. That's different. Engineers just do equations all day.

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:17 am

Hey Joey, Phil and I will be coming over to SCAD for this year's Comics Forum.

Kean
Site Admin

Re: re

Post by Kean » Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:36 am

Rad Sechrist wrote:But being an engineer is very boring, and doesn't pay very well.
I would argue that an engineer's salary is very good, in the right disciplines (I'm an electrical/computer engineer myself). Studying for your engineering degree will also teach you some important life lessons, such as how to hold your liquor and how you can get a zero on your mid-terms and still pass your courses!
If you want to draw and design things, you should go to a design school. That's different. Engineers just do equations all day.
I do agree with Rad on this point though. :) If you want to design cool-looking things, it's best to look elsewhere. Engineering is typically not a glamorous job at all -- I've helped to design some circuit boards in my time, but no one is ever going to care or notice. Although those boards do help make the internet go (in a very small way, of course). :)
Last edited by Kean on Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:40 am, edited 2 times in total.