strange problem: oil paints on the wall

General Discussion
househatke

strange problem: oil paints on the wall

Post by househatke » Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:26 am

If anyone can help me with this, I'd greaty appreciate it:

I've just started a fun series of characters painted onto one of the walls inside our house. I don't quite think it qualifies as a mural, but it sure is fun.

I'm using my oil paints to make the caracters. The first character looks pretty good (I wish I had a picture ot post!). My problem is that ONE of the colors I used won't dry. The greens and blues and reds have all dried very well onto the interior wall paint, but the flesh color on the characters face is still tacky (after nearly a week) and comes off on my fingers.

What could cause this? It seems so strange to me that this one color (light flesh color) refuses to dry.

Does anyone out there know how to solve this problem?

dik pose

Post by dik pose » Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:19 pm

Umm, I dont know how to solve it, but I do know that lighter colors, especially white, can take days to weeks to completely set...depends what brand of oils you use and all that...so, yes, individual colors have very different dry times...

If you paint with that color again, you need to buy some quick dry medium and mix it with the paint...it will increase dry time, I am not too sure if it makes the paint tackier to work with though...

dan

Post by dan » Fri Jan 28, 2005 1:21 pm

you could use a a drying agent, like paint thinner. I would put it in a spray bottle and spritz it VERY lightly in a fine mist over top of the paint. Don't use too much or else all of the other colors will start to run.

dan

househatke

Post by househatke » Fri Jan 28, 2005 2:20 pm

Excellent answers, thanks folks!

sideache

Post by sideache » Fri Jan 28, 2005 3:27 pm

Ben, It could also depend on how much moister is in the air. It sometimes takes longer to dry in wet winters and humid summers. If it is an older tube of paint, the pigment could be separating from it's bonding agent which tends to have a higher percentage of linseed oil with the pigment. I wouldn't spray turp on it, that will break down and compromise the pigment. Turp is for cleaning, not thinning or drying unless it has a mixture of another medium. You may be able to gently glaze a drying medium over it. Some oils take weeks to set.

When you try and paint over oil in the future, the latex will have a hard time adhering to the oil underneath. You will have to sand, seal and primer over that.

Dek

Post by Dek » Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:31 pm

Well I know many oil paints simply....never dry completely. The outside will be dry, but there's still wet on the inside, decades later. I have an oil painting from last year, regular oil paints (art class assignment) and it's fresh as about day 2 from drying it.

Jason C-M

Post by Jason C-M » Sat Jan 29, 2005 7:43 pm

different manufactures and different colors by the same manufacturer have radically different drying times, so what's happening doesn't surprise me.

In future, mix Liquin into your paints. For now, I don't know what to say other than be careful not to touch the painting there. And keep a fan on it -- air circulation is a good thing for a number of reasons.
Fun for Brains and Eyeballs!
with Drawing a Blank: News from the Drafting Table
http://www.cheeseman-meyer.com

househatke

Post by househatke » Sat Jan 29, 2005 11:23 pm

Well, it's dry now. I guess I just learned that that particular mix of colors takes about a week to get safely dry. That's fine, because this is a weekly sunday project. I'm making a parade of characters going down the wall and adding one (hopefully) every Sunday!

Oh, and awesome avatar, Jason!