My (upcoming) website needs a name! (edit)

General Discussion
Phil

My (upcoming) website needs a name! (edit)

Post by Phil » Tue Sep 09, 2003 10:10 am

...will be cool after I learn how to make it. And that's what I'm after, here!

I'm starting this thread, on Kazu's suggestion, to try to get some advice! Most of you guys and gals have personal sites, so any info or tips or warnings or snacks you could give will be put to good use.

First questions are these:
1. What is the first step? Registering a domain name? (my guess...)

2. How do I pick a good host, server, whatever you call it? How do I stop being ignorant? (Slaps to the face didn't work.)

3. Can I make a neato site without knowing Morse code? How about HTML? I've heard Morse code is pretty essential, but I don't know about that other.

4. What is Batman's secret identity? (I've always wondered about this...)

Goodbye,
--Phil
Last edited by Phil on Fri Sep 12, 2003 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Joel

Post by Joel » Tue Sep 09, 2003 10:31 am

Some possible answers:

1. Most webhosts can go ahead and register your domain name with your start-up costs (well, mine did... Phenominet ). If the name you want is free, it's rarely too expensive. My webhost automatically updates my domain name when I sign on for the next year.

Do be careful of people sending you spam, wanting you to switch to their service. Once your registered, all sorts of people scan the registry for places to send their crap.

2. Ask around and see who your pals use....then just make a list and go check all of the hosts out. See what deal fits you.
My deal is $100 a year for 200meg of space with 10gig a month transfer....
Right now, that fits me fine.
Plus the guys on their tech support have been super quick and helpful, whenever there's been a problem...

3. I did my site by just messing around a bit with Imageready and Dreamweaver. Knowing what you want helps...
If that makes any sense....
I have no idea how to make a really good site, but I've gotten tons of compliments, so I guess I did it "right"
I just wanted something simple....

4. You know that rich playboy guy, Bruce Wayne? Well, my bet's that Batman is that dude's butler.....he's old and wise and has been everywhere.
Plus, the butler has to have a hobby, since his master is always partying it up with the ladies....fighting crime is a great hobby.

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Tue Sep 09, 2003 1:24 pm

1) See Joel's answer ^ In addition, I do find it convenient to have my domain registered at a place that isn't hosting my site. I would assume that switching hosting services would be much easier, although I may be wrong about this.

2) I have a couple of webhosts. I started with Media Temple (www.mediatemple.net), because all the cool flash kats were doing it (I'm such a follower...) but they tend to be a little on the pricey side. For even more money than Joel pays, I get less space and the same amount of bandwidth. However, the service is really solid, and their control panel can't be beat. A lot of people actually comment on how quickly my pages load despite heavy content and traffic, so I guess these guys must be doing something right.

This forum is sitting on an account from a really, really cheap webhost that Khang also uses called IpowerWeb (www.ipowerweb.com). Their uptime is a bit fickle, but it definitely gets the job done. You also get 500 megs of space and 30 gigs of bandwidth. I put all my garage drawings and clive and cabbage strips in there to keep my bandwidth costs down. (you'll notice that this is boltcity.net and not boltcity.com for this reason)

In total, I spend over 300 a year for my sites, but that's because I'm an idiot and didn't know what I was doing when I started this nonsense.

Another cheap place: www.dreamhost.com

3) As for putting it all together, Dreamweaver is my best friend. It makes the layout/design stuff real nice and easy, and it also handles file transfers for super quick changes to your site. When I update, if I already have the image and text elements ready, it takes me about 5 to 10 minutes to do.

4) Batman's secret identity is Charlton Heston, because Heston is my stock celebrity name answer for witty inquiries such as these. :P

neil

Post by neil » Tue Sep 09, 2003 3:54 pm

I'd recommend first figuring out what you want your site to have; if you'd like it to be dynamic (with message boards, user customization, etc.) then your host must offer database/cgi capability, which is a li'l more expensive i guess. You can use Dreamweaver, Frontpage, etc. to design the site, and there are all kinds of free content management systems (like Movable Type for a blog-type thing, PHP-Nuke, etc.) for.. managing your content. Look around and see what you'd like to use. It'll make the whole process of setting it up much easer.

You should know the basics of html so you can at least tweak things to your liking... But it's not hard; it's not a programming language or anything. Webmonkey.com has a lot of specific tutorials for whatever you need to do.

I'm setting up a website myself, at http://neilcomics.com. It's running on PostNuke, so when i want to post updates and such, everything will be smooth and automatic; I wont' have to redo any part of site. But it's kind of hard to figure out how to change PostNuke's generic look--which is so important for artistes such as ourselves (the themes they offer are all atrocious!). It's coming along though.

And if the butler is Batman, Bruce Wayne must be that Robin guy!

Phil

Post by Phil » Tue Sep 09, 2003 5:52 pm

Thank you kindly for the tips, gents.

As for what I want to do... I think I'll start simple--no message boards, etc. I just want to post artwork, comics, and do little weekly news update-type-things. (People around the globe have been clamoring for it, no doubt, and I don't want to get lynched or anything.)

So far, Joel's setup sounds pretty good to me. Not too much $$, and a good amt of space (apparently.)
Or maybe ipowerweb.com would be the ticket. I'll look into the options--but I'm not closing the book on suggestions!

I really don't know how far bandwidth goes, or what to expect re: space requirements... but I guess I'll learn.
Are there any rules of thumb you guys could mention? (I know some rules of elbow, but they generally apply to other matter.)

Thanks!
--Phil

ps - I personally have met Bruce Wayne, and there's no way he's Robin. The guy's like, huge! Besides--if Bruce Wayne were a superhero, he'd probably pick a name that starts with "B." Call me crazy.

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Tue Sep 09, 2003 8:46 pm

Phil wrote:ps - I personally have met Bruce Wayne, and there's no way he's Robin. The guy's like, huge! Besides--if Bruce Wayne were a superhero, he'd probably pick a name that starts with "B." Call me crazy.
you're crazy. :P

Kean
Site Admin

Post by Kean » Wed Sep 10, 2003 12:02 am

I can vouch for Dreamhost, as my site is currently being hosted by them. For 10 bucks a month, I've got 200 MB disk space, and 20GB/month transfer. Support was also an issue of contention for me, as my previous host was atrocious (not to mention accusing me of fraud and falsely charging my credit card with all sorts of services I never approved).

Shop around and take your time before commiting to a host. And if you do go with a host that someone has recommended, see if that host has any referral benefits -- you can help your buddy make a few bucks on the side for his referral...

[edit] Oh yeah, and I do all my HTML coding by hand, because Dreamweaver doesn't like some of my javascript code. What a mistake that was, but I still have some handy templates that allow for quick updates. Hopefully, the next iteration will have all that snazzy CSS, and allow me to update quickly in Dreamweaver...

Phil C

Post by Phil C » Wed Sep 10, 2003 12:14 am

Oh yeah, and I do all my HTML coding by hand, because Dreamweaver doesn't like some of my javascript code. What a mistake that was, but I still have some handy templates that allow for quick updates. Hopefully, the next iteration will have all that snazzy CSS, and allow me to update quickly in Dreamweaver...

I'm still learning Greek. I'll get back to you. :wink:

(But seriously--thanks for the input. I'll look into Dreamhost...)

Phil

Post by Phil » Wed Sep 10, 2003 7:25 pm

Okay--tossing around some domain names.

I don't really want to do my own name. But maybe I could do bluepillow.com
Wait--I checked on that, and it is already reserved at Hostica.com/ What's that all about?? bluepillow.net, instead? Or no bluepillow at all?

pillowcasefiles.com
theboywhocriedsheep.com

That last one is derived from a children's book idea spoofing Aesop's fables (some of my favorite stories!)

More ideas later.
Any thoughts?

--Phil

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Wed Sep 10, 2003 7:35 pm

I think the simpler the better. I had a smattering of domain names because I was one of those idiots who bought them thinking someone would hold the one I wanted for a million dollar ransom. Anyway, I pretty much dropped every account except for www.boltcity.com, because it was the simplest and easiest to remember. Too bad bluepillow is taken.

Regardless, I think if the content is good, people will find it no matter what you decide to call it. Some of my favorite bookmarked sites have domain names I haven't memorized.

I just realized I totally contradicted myself here.

Phil

Post by Phil » Fri Sep 12, 2003 11:50 am

So, I'm drawing a big blank on names for my website. :?
Both bluepillow.com and philipcraven.com are taken. (not that I wanted to use my name, but whatever. Some English photographer, I think.) I don't want to go ".net" because ".com" just sounds better. Or maybe I should be ".net" --what are the specific connotations, if any, of ".net?"
I could try to contact the person who reserved bluepillow.com, since they haven't used it yet. But really, even though people have said it's a catchy, fluidly-rolling-off-the-tongue name, I always though it sounded too generic... I mainly did it cuz I couldn't think of a name for the pillow.

Anyway, my favorite so far is www.pillowcasefiles.com

It's a phrase I thought of a while back when conceiving my comic that features the blue pillow. I was trying to think of a different title for the comic, and this is an idea that I thought better suited to some kind of character profile supplement, or something.

So you have "pillow case" and "case files." As for how it relates to my site--the idea is that "pillow case files" refers to dreams and other phenomena related to pillows, i.e. sleep.

(Hmm. It just occured to me that I have remarkd on various occasions that I don't like sleep, naps, etc. True, I like to stay asleep once I get there, but it's the going that I don't care for. It's boring. It takes me a long time. So maybe my fascination with dreams and unconscious adventures reflects my desire to stay awake while asleep. 8) )

Anyway, my site won't be totally preoccupioed with dreams, per se--but you can think of fanciful stories as dream-related.

Is this site name dumb? Does it seem too dream/sleep-specific? Or does it simply not sound like a cartoonist's website?
OR--maybe it's too specific to the comic and characters from which it derived. Maybe I need a name that's more interchangeable. Then again, I kind of like the idea of using the pillow guy as my little onscreen persona.

Let me become aware of your thoughts, please!
--Phil

Joel

Post by Joel » Fri Sep 12, 2003 1:40 pm

How about "THEBLUEPILLOW"?

Post by Guest » Fri Sep 12, 2003 2:30 pm

Hmm. That doesn't do it for me. Putting "the" in front makes it sound like a lounge, or a book title, or something. ARRR! :cry:

Ahem. Sorry.

Joel--do you have any thoughts on the many points I mentioned? (I'm getting more used to pillowcasefiles.com, so now's your chance to opine.)

--Phil :x

Joel

Post by Joel » Fri Sep 12, 2003 3:13 pm

pillowcasefiles is cute. Has the double meaning going on....and it's memorable.

I just mentioned the "THE" in case you were really attached to BluePillow.com...

I hate when people nab the domain names and never do anything with them....
My nickname growing up (and now) is Jody.....so most of my life, I've gone by JodyCody from classmates.
Then I find someone cybersquatting the name.....sigh.
I know the name isn't as unique as I'd like, but the chick STILL hasn't done anything with the name....grrr

So, whoever nabbed the bluepillow.com better do something with it!

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Fri Sep 12, 2003 4:04 pm

How about "Da Blue Pillow"? or bluepillowz.com :P :) :(

I think bluepillow.net will work out just fine. If the content is good, people will find it.