Musical distraction

General Discussion
Kean
Site Admin

Musical distraction

Post by Kean » Tue Dec 30, 2003 9:25 am

So I filled out my CD collection over boxing day (the only time I actually go shopping), with some British Sea Power, Death Cab for Cutie, Deep Dish, and some older Elliott Smith, Spoon, and The Wrens.

Right now, I'm obsessed by Death Cab for Cutie's Forbidden Love EP. The slightly sparser arrangement of "Company Calls Epilogue" on this EP has my mind wandering off to weird spaces, and daydreaming about riding in the back seats of cars and wedding days.

What you kids are listening to these days?

Stick
Flight Moderator

Post by Stick » Tue Dec 30, 2003 11:38 am

Athlete -Vehicles and Animals

reminds me of Oasis at times, but it gets quite repetitive and all their songs sound the same.

neil

Post by neil » Tue Dec 30, 2003 12:56 pm

Kean, did you get "Seacaucus" by The Wrens? I wasn't sure if you already had "The Meadowlands." I haven't been able to find "Seacaucus," I suppose because it's been out of print for a while. :?

I'v been listening to Death Cab and Elliott Smith too... Also American Football, Red House Painters, The Decemberists (yeah they're a Neutral Milk Hotel ripoff, but they do it pretty well don't they?), The Sea and Cake, Iron and Wine, Neko Case, The Notwist, and Low.

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Tue Dec 30, 2003 2:25 pm

Oooh, I've had Deathcab on the mind as well, especially with Khang, Chris, and Cat bombarding me with their well-worn Postal Service CD. And I just heard Spoon for the first time this weekend. Good stuff.

Kean
Site Admin

Post by Kean » Tue Dec 30, 2003 2:45 pm

Whoops, I meant to say older Death Cab and The Wrens' latest (I only had their album on MP3 up until now). As far as I can tell, Secaucus has been out of print for a very long time now.

Spoon's last two albums have kicked much ass. I like The Sea and Cake, but I find that I can only listen to their stuff on bright spring mornings. Whatever music I listen to tends to be dictated by my particular mood or weather patterns for the day. And people keep suggesting I listen to Neko Case, so perhaps I shall.

Oh yeah, and I've been listening to a lot of Godspeed You Black Emperor! lately (although 28 Days Later has forever burned the images of an empty Picadilly Circus and London into my mind whenever I listen to "East Hastings" now).

douglas a. bot

Post by douglas a. bot » Tue Dec 30, 2003 6:09 pm

Jack Johnson's new CD...over and over...and over. A couple of new Charlie Parker and Art Blakey re-issues.
Got Outkast Love below...for Christmas...prefer love below to Speakerboxx.
And thats about it...haven't been purchasing much music lately. It's bumming me out.

You know that feeling when you look at your CD collection...and there is just nothing really there that takes you...I've felt that way at the record shop of late too. I'll snap out of it.

d.

Kean
Site Admin

Post by Kean » Tue Dec 30, 2003 10:50 pm

Doug, give Speakerboxxx a few more listens. I was also leaning heavily on The Love Below when I first picked up the album, but these days, both CDs get equal playtime. He ain't no Andre 3000, but Big Boi has some real standout tunes -- the first half of the album especially. Ghettomusick, Unhappy, Bowtie, and of course, The Way You Move are absolutely fantastic.

I got round this evening to watching Peter Gabriel's Growing Up Live DVD (given to me as a xmas gift) while working on my comics. The guy may be fat, old, and bald as a spring duck, but he's still got a great set of pipes on him. Bouncing around onstage in a Zorb never hurts either.

Peter Gabriel and Janet Jackson are quite possibly the best performers I've ever had the opportunity to see live. They can really put on a show (although Kiss comes a close third... but it was more the people in the crowd than the actual show itself that was so entertaining).

I rarely get that feeling about not being grabbed by music. But I know what that's like. It's really frustrating, and I usually end up falling back on my old standbys to tide me over (Peter Gabriel, Beethoven, The Beatles, Bowie, Joy Division, Tupac, Hybrid, and Joseph Arthur are never far from my CD player).

I am such a music slut.