17%
none
6%

Total votes: 69

Kazu
Site Admin

The ELECTION thread...

Post by Kazu » Tue Oct 26, 2004 7:01 pm

Okay, so someone had to do it. I figure people have been afraid of posting about this for some reason, so I'll go ahead and start it right here. I like to think that the people moving through these forums are pretty smart, so let's hear what you guys have to say...
Last edited by Kazu on Wed Oct 27, 2004 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

hemigoblin

Post by hemigoblin » Tue Oct 26, 2004 7:21 pm

I wasnt planning on voting this year although it is the first time that I have the opportunity to do so. Im not too fond of either of Kerry or Bush, but I believe that going to war in Iraq without further investigation and support was a mistake. I wasnt going to vote because I felt that I did not know enough about either, but Kerry is the lesser of two evils in my mind.
Fortune Cookies...

Soggytoast

Post by Soggytoast » Tue Oct 26, 2004 7:32 pm

I hear a ton of "lesser of two evils" stuff. I'd really urge you to check out this letter from Michael Moore. I originally posted this in my Live Journal. Please take a look at both and let me know what you guys think.

EDIT: The October 20th post.
-Zack Giallongo-

EQ

Post by EQ » Tue Oct 26, 2004 8:34 pm

Kerry at least made me like him after the debates. He convinced me to vote for him and not just against Bush.
-b

Ganter

Post by Ganter » Tue Oct 26, 2004 8:52 pm

I think Kerry is a great candidate, and very presidential. If the debates didn't convince you, I don't know what will.

Here are some useful links if you need more information:

frontline's documentary on the careers of the two major candidates. You can watch the whole thing online for free. - it paints a really clear picture of the difference in how the two would rule the country and what the candidates are about.

watch the debates for free on c-span's website - c-span is my favorite political channel, direct resources without commentary from newscasters so you can have room to form your own opinion without being told how to interpret what you just saw.

charlie rose has some good audio discussions on the race

KingMixer

Post by KingMixer » Tue Oct 26, 2004 9:17 pm

As far WHO I think should be in the White House it's Nader. I agree with Chomsky. Who I'm going to vote for is a different story so we're still going to be stuck with a two party system for a while, meanwhile nobody inside does anything to change it. They both serve big companies. I'd really love it if they got rid of the electorial college and actually gave us the right to directly vote.

chuckbb

Post by chuckbb » Tue Oct 26, 2004 10:58 pm

i wish voting counted/mattered, it would be cooler if it did.

Ganter

Post by Ganter » Tue Oct 26, 2004 11:09 pm

if voting didn't matter the politicians wouldn't be trying so hard to register new voters and get you on their side.

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Tue Oct 26, 2004 11:15 pm

I was actually undecided before I started to pay any attention. Since then, I went from looking for the "lesser of two evils" to being convinced that Kerry is a good candidate for President. If this is any indication of what's happening with the polls and such, then I do believe that there are a great many people who simply aren't paying any attention, especially to the debates, or they choose not to. After hearing them speak, Kerry clearly became the better candidate in my mind, going on character judgment alone.

It's always frighteningly hilarious to listen to Bush talk. "Okay, he's not such a bright guy. Give him a break," people say. If that's the case, the man doesn't deserve to represent the free world. One thing's for sure, though. President Kerry won't be anywhere near as entertaining...

nil

Post by nil » Wed Oct 27, 2004 6:05 am

Yes! Yes! I needed a chance to vote on the US election. I'll stop short of ranting about it here though. (tries to tape mouth with Sellotape, doesn't work, has to try duct tape..)

:wink:
a Chris

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Wed Oct 27, 2004 6:37 am

Here's an interesting article from Rolling Stone. It's pretty one-sided, but I think it's still a good read. Also hints at why it isn't always good to have an amiable nimcompoop as President, no matter how endearing he is...

Soggytoast

Post by Soggytoast » Wed Oct 27, 2004 7:15 am

Bush does everything on his gut reaction and believes in his instincts. He's said that and everyone around him has said that.
Problem is, you can't run a nation of people (or take them to war) based on a gut feeling...
I also have a problem with this idea that candidates need to be a "regular guy", just like you and me. Dammit, I want the president to be smarter than me! Otherwise, I'LL be president!
There was this great talk on NPR about the midwest's fear of east coaster and intimidation by intelligence and education. I'm not being offensive to those in the midwest - most of my family is from Indiana, so I've seen this first hand. The fear truly seems to be that if someone is smarter than you, they're gonna pull one over on ya. I hate that.
One last thing, since I am from Massachusetts, voting does seem a bit moot to me. There's no WAY Kerry (the Massachusetts senator) wouldn't get this state. But at least on these forums, I like the chance to talk to those from other states, including swing states, and try to get a sense of what's going on. This election matters! Vote! If for no other reason, vote because the Republicans don't WANT you to! But that's another discussion....
-Zack Giallongo-

Jason C-M

Post by Jason C-M » Wed Oct 27, 2004 7:21 am

Kazu wrote:Since then, I went from looking for the "lesser of two evils" to being convinced that Kerry is a good candidate for President.
I had a similar experience. I've been convinced it's vital to the future of the world to get Bush out of office, but Kerry caught my eye before I even knew he was running. Then I kinda didn't think much about him, though I was vaguely for him. Things like the debates and such really got me thinking he could be a damn good president, despite how blocked up the house and senate are going to be over the next four years.
Fun for Brains and Eyeballs!
with Drawing a Blank: News from the Drafting Table
http://www.cheeseman-meyer.com

Joel

Post by Joel » Wed Oct 27, 2004 7:24 am

Oh, well. I was wondering how long we could last without a discussion about current politics.

Monk

Post by Monk » Wed Oct 27, 2004 7:25 am

Bush to me encompasses pretty much the opposite view on issues that are important to me. Abortion, gay rights, religion/religion in politics, wealth issues, war, taxes, poverty, diplomacy, foreign policy, pride, elitism, healthcare, imperialism. Pretty much everything.

The problem with Kerry is that nobody knows what he'll be like as president. We can define him and he can define himself all we want but we still don't know how he'll perform. And though he's making all these fantastical claims that he probably won't be able to back up in office, he seems like an extremely intelligent man, well-spoken, very presidential.

I also fear what will happen if Bush wins, not only with respect to his policy, but also considering the efforts of the 527s to get out the vote. If the few million liberal kids who registered to participate this year are disillusioned, it'll be a long time before they vote again. Dangerous...