How do YOU think this Forum can get better?

General Discussion
Stick
Flight Moderator

How do YOU think this Forum can get better?

Post by Stick » Sat Dec 20, 2003 4:58 am

Since Kazu asked everyone in the forum to bring their own ideas on how to bring about a better environment for people coming here.. i thought we should make a thread just to throw around ideas.. and the ones that work (a.k.a: the ones kazu likes) can be implemented by him!

So.. i'll go first i guess.. alot of ideas are taken from my time as a forum member on other sites and as a moderator on one of em.

1.) How about a Copper Fanart Section? Members can show their appreciation for you in a more specific way, and you can hold contests.. and such.. I remember you posted a person who sent you a pic earlier of copper. Things like that!

2.) A set of rules for the forum... ya know... the usual stuff to set the ground rules, cause lets face it.. if i was able to find this site.. others will come. And some of them just join to cause trouble.

3.) Setting of forum moderators.. I mean you should have a couple of members who are concerened with making sure that the forum is kept running smooth and clean, so that you can concentrate on Flight.

4.) uhh.. i posted earlier some phpBB code, but i've got to know. is THIS the final Forum site? or are you moving it?

5.) if you can get into it, change the colour of the forum.. there are better colours available! :)

6.) Better Emoticons. Yep.

7.) How about posting some "teaser" pics from flight? I'm interested in more about it.

4 really isn't a recommendation.. but i was really curious. :)

if i think of anything else.. i'll post more. :)

And i hope everyone else contributes!

douglas a. bot

Post by douglas a. bot » Sat Dec 20, 2003 6:38 am

We here in the antipodes have many a saying...some about chocolate milk mixed with orange juice...others about bacon and moist towelettes.
One of our favourites however is -
"If it ain't broke...don't fix it."

This is a pretty small community in comparison to many other unwieldy message boards i've seen and due to it's size an extremely open and friendly one. Sure new people will stumble across it within their travels and i have no doubt it will grow with the success of the Flight book and it's contributors, but i think going crazy with a pre-emptive strike of rules and regulations when it's not really necessary i think will if anything else deter new people.
I think an announcement somewhere about the boards origin, it's purpose and that all are welcome...even Smelly Steve, is more than adequte. If it helps to encourage the kids to type...alert them to places they can start eg: check out the cool art in the Illustration section, talk about your favourite movies in Cinematheque or make your ears bleed with some music reccomendations in hotel Adriano...that sort of thing.

And if anyone starts getting unruly as some of these internet types are prone to do...we will just enlist Kean to up the mizzen mast and run em' through wif is cutlass...arrrggghh.
I think it should just evolve as it does. Forcing it in some particular direction because "thats what message boards are supposed to do" will just make it a chore to run...and a less fun place to frolick.

This post is for all the smelly steve's of the world...bless em'.

regards,
d. (kinda digs the colours)

Kean
Site Admin

Post by Kean » Sat Dec 20, 2003 9:50 am

douglas a. bot wrote:And if anyone starts getting unruly as some of these internet types are prone to do...we will just enlist Kean to up the mizzen mast and run em' through wif is cutlass...arrrggghh.
Damn straight, yo. I mean, Aarrrrrr.

I agree with Doug. The board is fine the way it is now; there's no need to mess with it.

Stick
Flight Moderator

Post by Stick » Sat Dec 20, 2003 10:28 am

uhh.. i didn't mean any changes, if needed are to be done immediately.

i was throwing out ideas.

neil

Post by neil » Sat Dec 20, 2003 11:44 am

In regard to 7), Derek has started previewing his Flight story at http://www.smallstoriesonline.com. I think this is the first publicly available look at the book.

Stick
Flight Moderator

Post by Stick » Sat Dec 20, 2003 1:08 pm

cool.

thanks.

looking good kim!

(btw, kim :lol: .. if your sphincter has lost its elasticity... you should see a doctor.. they can repair it.)

douglas a. bot

Post by douglas a. bot » Sat Dec 20, 2003 2:30 pm

uhh.. i didn't mean any changes, if needed are to be done immediately. i was throwing out ideas.
And they are great ideas. I think some special art projects or some previews of Flight are tops, though the first one wouldn't encourage non-artists so much.
I was just saying there really isn't much more at this stage you could change that would make this place MORE inviting. Great people, great talent, great intelligent conversation and a great book that will eventually on it's release, i'm sure, lure even more likeminded people to the forums.

So the ideas are great, and it's good to be throwing them out there...i think implementing some of them for the sake of it at this stage is unecassary though.

Damn straight, yo. I mean, Aarrrrrr.
Swarthy Kean...very swarthy.

d.

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Sat Dec 20, 2003 4:00 pm

Thanks for posting this, Stick. I think Doug hit it on the nose. We'll see how things naturally progress around here and put out the fires when we have to. Just go ahead and post interesting topics and don't worry too much about the forums in general.

If people want to do Copper fan art pieces they should just send it to me. Of course, anybody can start threads here with fan art for any of their favorite flight stories if they want to. It may be best, however, to do this in the Flight Volume One forum and not the Illustration Lounge, just so people don't feel pushed aside when posting their standalone illustrations.

Again, thanks for the feedback, everyone.

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Sat Dec 20, 2003 4:56 pm

As for preview material, I just made Jake's Hugo Earheart promo the cover piece for the flightcomics.comwebsite. Ain't it beeyootiful?

Stick
Flight Moderator

Post by Stick » Sun Dec 21, 2003 3:48 pm

quite.

what about better smilies?

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Sun Dec 21, 2003 3:49 pm

Hehe. I'll try to figure that one out soon, and I'll draw some up.

Stick
Flight Moderator

Post by Stick » Sun Dec 21, 2003 3:57 pm

here i found one for Kean.

sorry kean. please don't kill me.

here's another. a cookie if you can guess where it's from!

davi
Flight Moderator

Post by davi » Sun Dec 28, 2003 12:24 am

If you need a forum moderator, i hate to boost but i've admin'd and mod'd like... 8 art forums, so i do have experience with the phpbb layout and with the vBulletin.

Just PM me if your interested in having me help out.

Stick
Flight Moderator

Post by Stick » Sun Dec 28, 2003 8:15 am

as it turns out.. all members who contribute to flight are moderators themselves on the forum... that's more mods then people acutally in the thread.

which is funny...

if you think about it...

ahem.

uhh........ if you ARE looking for a mod or 2 extra... i'll be glad to help as well.

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Sun Dec 28, 2003 2:29 pm

Davi, Stick > Thanks for volunteering, guys. How 'bout if Davi gets moderator status on the Illustration Lounge, and Stick gets to be the proprietor of the Hotel Adriano? Cool?